Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2020 13:00

T1650 processor upgrades and power supply information

I have a T1650 Precision workstation. I am trying to upgrade the processor. However, the information given online does not specify what processors this unit supports. Can anyone advise what they support? 

Also, for power supplies in these models, are they keyed differently or can I use a basic ATX power supply off the shelf? I am planning on adding an upgraded video card, additional drive and ssd so I am sure I would benefit from additional clean power. 

Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 4th, 2020 15:00

The documentation DOES SPECIFY

Power supply is NOT ATX its PFC EPS 12v 80 percent efficient.

EVGA 700BR would be recommended replacement for Tower Version.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-BR-0700-K1

Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200v2 Family; 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7 and i5; 2nd generation Intel Core i3; Turbo Boost Technology 2.05 and Intel Integrated HD Graphics on select processors; optional Intel vPro™ technology

Dell only supports the processor it ships with.

No other upgrade or warranty is expressed or implied nor is any fitness for a particular service.

https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocuments/Shared-Content_data-Sheets_Documents/en/uk/Dell_Precision_T1650_Spec_Sheet.pdf

573 Posts

December 3rd, 2020 18:00

Hi @atharris09 ,

As per Dell T1650 Spec Sheet stated:

"Processors: Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200v2 Family; 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7 and i5; 2nd generation Intel Core i3."

You may check on Userbenchmark - Precision T1650 Compatible Builds with CPU score against varies processors as reference.

T1650.JPG

And for PSU compatibility of T1600 series, generic 24-pin ATX PSU should fits. Check out an answer from a Dell mod in this thread as acknowledgement:

T1650b.JPG

December 4th, 2020 15:00

Thanks for the PSU clarification. This is exactly what I needed to know

However, the spec sheet does not indicate which i5 and i7 processors are compatible with the unit from the 3rd gen. Is there such a list? The link you gave me is a bench mark against several other models that use these processors but does not address which models (part numbers from Intel) are compatible.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

December 5th, 2020 18:00

An exact list of CPU's in the tech guide:  https://www.manualslib.com/download/624303/Dell-Precision-T1650.html 

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

December 5th, 2020 18:00

Hi @atharris09,

It would help to know what GPU you plan on using to know if you need a PSU upgrade.  Plus, the GPU can be checked against either the current CPU or the CPU you want for bottleneck.  Just would have to know exactly which one.

Do you have the 275w or 320w PSU?  Either way, GPU aside, it can handle extra drive (whether HDD or DVD) and SSD.  SSD's are only 5v.

December 9th, 2020 12:00

This is EXACTLY whaThis is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you! Rhe processor numbers and wattages will help me narrow in my search. Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 3rd, 2024 07:04

@bmcowboy​ Stop the cap please, Ty

No Events found!