Start a Conversation

Unsolved

8 Posts

April 6th, 2021 15:00

T3600 Power Supply Boot Problem

I have a T3600 with the 635w power supply.

Lately it's developed an issue where it won't boot properly. Behaviour is, press power button on front panel, relay in power supply clicks twice in rapid succession. Fans come on and some of the number lights near the front usb ports flash for about 3 seconds. Then the whole thing shuts down. Does this consistently.

The work around I discovered is to press the power supply test button at the back of the machine. The power supply then goes through it's test routine perfectly and shuts off.

Then if I press the front panel power button it boots up perfectly.

So, the power supply passes the test button test perfectly. I've disconnected and reconnected all the internal power cables and they seem fine.

Everything else seems to work fine.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 6th, 2021 22:00

Too many variables because you change too many things at once.

If you test psu and its fine then turn on fine then its working as designed,

When you remove the connectors it will turn on then shut off

thats normal.

If you keep having to test then turn on its likely one or more fans are failing and it shuts down due to overheating.

8 Posts

I haven't changed anything.

I just reseated all the connectors (with the unit switched off) to see if that fixed it. I haven't tried booting it with the connectors disconnected.

The behaviour is as previously stated:

"press power button on front panel, relay in power supply clicks twice in rapid succession. Fans come on and some of the number lights near the front usb ports flash for about 3 seconds. Then the whole thing shuts down. Does this consistently.

The work around I discovered is to press the power supply test button at the back of the machine. The power supply then goes through it's test routine perfectly and shuts off.

Then if I press the front panel power button it boots up perfectly."

If I then shut it down and try to turn it on again the above behaviour happens again.

8 Posts

Forgot to add, I have replaced the cmos battery on the mb but this made no difference.

8 Posts

It's not shutting down when the unit is hot. The behaviour occurs when it is cold.

8 Posts

April 13th, 2021 15:00

I now have a reliable work around.

Removing the power cord after shutting it down makes it boot perfectly the next time it is turned on. If I leave the power cord in whilst it's off it will exhibit the previous mentioned booting problem.

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

April 14th, 2021 06:00

Seems to me that there's a capacitor that's starting to fail, if I have to take a bet.

My 2nd bet is that it's in the psu... but nothing critical that would trigger an error in the self test (yet)

No Events found!