Caezar93
1 Copper

T5500 CPU upgrade

Hello all,

Recently I got Precision T5500 Workstation and I am about to buy the best CPUs for it to make gaming PC. My MB model is 0w5pm4. Which CPU is the best for it? Where can I get this information?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bradthetechnut
3 Cadmium

Re: T5500 CPU upgrade

Intel® Xeon® 5600 series processors up to six-cores, 6.4GT/s (Intel QuickPath Interconnect) and 12MB shared cache. Turbo Mode and HyperThreading technology on select processors. All processors are 64-bit, support Intel DBS (demand-based switching) andIntel VT (Intel Virtualization Technology). Note: Intel TXT is not supported.

Source:  Precision T5500 Spec Sheet.pdf

CPU's can be compared side by side at game-debate.com.  Computer builds can be checked and compared at userbenchmark.com.

So, if you don't think you're CPU is good enough, you can compare it with a CPU you're looking at to see if it's that much better.

The above might not be a final answer, but I think it's a good place to start.

The spec sheet also has a list of compatible GPU's.  But if you're looking at one not on the list (as your Precision goes a ways back), there's userbenchmark.

- Please consider giving posts you like a thumbs up.
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is mainly user to user with occasional moderation or additional knowledge by a Rockstar or Dell employee.
0 Kudos
Caezar93
1 Copper

Hi bradthetechnut,

Thanks for your answer

I've already seen this docs. the most powerful CPU in 56xx series is X5680. However, its power consumtion is 130W (in my E5620 is 80W). I am not shure my MB is able to work with this CPU.

GPU is not a problem, I believe GTX 1060 will be ok Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bmcowboy
3 Zinc

Hi @Caezar93 ,

Correction: The fastest processors in Westmere-EP family should be X5687(3.6 GHz) for quad core and X5690(3.47 GHz) for six core. Check this out: List of Intel Xeon microprocessors - Wikipedia

And here's what you need - UserBenchmark: Dell Precision WorkStation T5500 Compatible Components

You can see builds installed with those 130w CPUs. They should be fine with your T5500.

1.JPG

“May the Force be with Dell.”
0 Kudos
Caezar93
1 Copper

Hi bmcowboy, Thank you for answer Yes, there are T5500 models with 130W CPUs, but as I understand it depends on motherboard model In T5400 I faced a problem with e5450. The MB in one did not support e5450, the e5430 was the best CPU for it. Other one correctly worked with e5450. Both of them were T5400, but with different MB models
0 Kudos
bmcowboy
3 Zinc

Hi @Caezar93 ,

I tried my best and found this thread as reference.

A Dell Technical Support listed MB for T5500 with 3 different part numbers, 2 of them support Westmere Intel E56XX/X56XX and the rest older one support Nehalem Intel E55XX/X55XX. The most important sentence: 

In theory (not tested): Westmere should work on the older motherboard as well if you are running latest BIOS.

Then the last reply of this thread confirmed X5660 CPU, member of X56XX, do works on the older motherboard. Although those part numbers not exactly the same as yours, theory should be the same. Moreover, checked on page 28 of the official T5500 Technical Guide and X5580 listed as supported CPU which require 130w as well, without stating any specific requirement on motherboard version. In conclusion, Intel E56XX/X56XX should be work on your existing T5500 motherboard, including those require higher wattage like X5680.

For the example of T5400 you quoted, it's totally a different kind of story. Both E5430 and E5450 listed with the same value of L2-Cache/FSB/Voltage/TDP(Wattage)/Socket, only differences on speed(frequency) and multiplier. They should be work on the same motherboard. CPU compatibility may not be the reason why E5450 not working on one of your T5400. 

“May the Force be with Dell.”