Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

2 Posts

June 14th, 2019 12:00

T7500 won't turn on

Hello,

I could not turn my T7500 on as when I pressed the power button, nothing happened, no light nothing. So, I disconnected the power cord from PSU to motherboard and test with BIST function and the light at BIST flash. However, when I reconnected the line back, nothing happened when I pressed BIST button. Can I confirm that this is the motherboard problem or is there still other possibility of the failure?

At this point, I think I will try to replace CMOS battery with the new one. If that doesn't work, I will order the motherboard from ebay. Any idea?

Thanks a lot,

Roytor

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

June 15th, 2019 08:00

It could be the motherboard but the only way to test a PSU is to try another PSU. A PSU may seem to test fine but under load may fail. I would go PSU first being the easiest and cheapest.

2 Posts

June 19th, 2019 16:00

Thanks a lot. Today we tested the PSU with PSU tester and it worked fine. So, I think the problem is the motherboard, however, would it be something else on the board like CPU?

Also, today I tried to replace the new motherboard. Unfortunately, I could not access the screws under the dual processor riser. Could you advise how to remove that.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

June 21st, 2019 18:00

T7500 Service Manual

T7500 Tech Guide

You'll find removal of the riser in the service manual.  It has links that will get you right there.  Adding or replacing parts > Dual processor riser

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

June 21st, 2019 19:00

I believe you would get a diagnostic light code if it were the CPU.  Codes are also in the service manual.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 25th, 2019 22:00

BIST is not diagnostic for motherboard.

BIST Light Should not go out.

If it does your power supply is bad.

78 Posts

June 27th, 2019 12:00

No, BIST LED not turning on does not mean the PSU is bad.  It means there is something inside the workstation that causes a power failure, and nothing more.  Please, take a loot at this video from TechSupportDell to understand how this feature works and isolate the component that makes the power fail on the workstation.

1 Message

October 19th, 2020 08:00

Having same issue.

I replaced the motherboard and everything seemed back to normal. Went on a trip for a couple of weeks, shutdown the T7500, but still plugged into the mains, just tried to start it and it's dead. Nothing.

If I disconnect the main motherboard supply, the PSU BIST is green (while pressed).

I have disconnected everything from the motherboard (RAM, riser card, all SATA drives, video cards, network cards, USB devices, CMOS battery, ethernet).

Could it be a bad PSU? Bad PS cable?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

October 20th, 2020 18:00

"If I disconnect the main motherboard supply, the PSU BIST is green (while pressed)."  Does this mean no green light with the MB plugged in, and only the MB?

11 Posts

October 21st, 2020 10:00

It is may be a piece of hardware block the power on to protect the motherboard. I suggest to remove any hardware in T7500. You will see after if you can power on this big tower.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

October 21st, 2020 17:00

How old is the CMOS battery?

No Events found!