Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2022 02:00

T7820 windows 11: ssd in flexbay windows does not boot after driver update

Hi.

Just moved to w11 on Dell T7820.

While the ssd in the flexbay is perfectly working under w10 it just does not appear under w11.

Ssd is visible in bios. Startup in UEFI mode (w11).

Device manager indicates Raid issue on the ssd in the flexbay..

Windows update can't find drivers. Dell support site provides a driver (one of three to install urgently) which works perfectly at least during the session when.it was installed.

Upon the next bootup I get a windows bluescreen "IRQL not less or equal". No way to get back into windows 11 even when rebooting in different repair modes. Fall-back to previouse restauration point works.

I have done a hw selftest with the Dell automatic test indicating there is no hw problem. 

So my best guess is that I have an issue somewhere between Bios and the driver.

- working during install session and blocking during subsequent boot -

Has anyone come across the issues and an idea how to fix it ?

Thank you in advance

28 Posts

February 19th, 2022 01:00

Just looked back in the threads. Indeed you sent me a link to "this driver" which is as I see now the same. Came at the moment when I sent back my workstation for HW repair and sorry, the thread got somehow forgotten on the way. When I was yzlking about a driver which not worked, I talked aboit te one recommended by Dell through the diagnostics tool.

Well in any case. Thanks to you two in particular for having continued to support my issue in spite of all the confusion between hw, driver issues, my learning about the Dell support site and my hesitations on the way.

I appreciate very much. Have a good week-end.

28 Posts

February 19th, 2022 05:00

Yeah, I am happy it works now an sorry for all the fuss on the way to get there. Always difficult, when there are two or mor issues simultaneously and when they do not depend on each other. 

In any case I appreciate your implication and tenacity very much - the both of you.

8 Wizard

• 

6.2K Posts

February 19th, 2022 05:00

A good result is more important.  I was under pressure thinking that my suggestion had caused the crash and I was actively finding alternatives (running tests).  Similar issues with these systems after upgrading to Windows 11 and just want to let the community know which drivers are working for me.

28 Posts

February 19th, 2022 06:00

Two screws dropped during assembly which caused a short circuit on the motherboard. A great classic on HW assembly. My supplier replaced the faulty parts without discussion in one week. 

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

February 19th, 2022 06:00

If I may ask, what was the hw failure that you had to get fixed ?

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

March 31st, 2022 17:00

The booting issue is with Intel Rapid Storage driver. I would suggest to use the native MVMe drivers of Windows rather than using the Bios's drivers. What you should do is:

1. Change "Raid on" mode to AHCI in BIOS

2. Disable VMD on BIOS

3. Now boot using Windows Installation USB-> Repair-> Troubleshoot->Advanced ->Command Prompt-> type: "bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal" then close the cmd.

4. Restart the PC -> before system restart remove USB. Windows should log-in to safeboot. 

5. in Safeboot, open cmd -> type "bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot" -> close cmd

6. Restart

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

July 18th, 2022 05:00

@tennant_uk , have you tried updating ( or downgrading ) to the version I mentioned (in the post that was then accepted as solution) ?

July 18th, 2022 05:00

I am having a similar issue with a T7920 trying to upgrade from W10 to W11 using Windows Update which says it is now compatible. However when the installation reboots I get a BSOD for iaStorA.sys (rather than iaStorE.sys). Windows is installed on an NVMe drive and I have six SATA SSDs.

I really don’t want to do a clean install of Windows 11 if I can avoid it. I tried deleting the INTEL C600+/C220+ series CHIPSET SATA RAID Controller driver but it just reinstalls the same one again.

Is there a definitive way to solve this? Anyone know if there are Intel Rapid Storage drivers on their way that work with both W10 and W11 that means now workarounds will be required to do the upgrade?

28 Posts

July 18th, 2022 10:00

Hi, got to find the right driver. See one of mazzina's posts above.

"...

7.0.2.1015, A12|Older versions
File Name

Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Enterprise-Driver_22P84_WIN_7.0.2.1015_A12.EXE

..."

This is an driver issue. Windows does not provide any and in the Dell proprietary list you have to find the right one.

July 27th, 2022 09:00

Yes, have installed the driver Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Enterprise-Driver_22P84_WIN_7.0.2.1015_A12; although it declares itself as driver version 7.0.2.1004 in Intel Memory and Storage Tool.

Intel RAID driver.PNG

Tried installing Windows 11 again (via the Windows Update route) but still get the BSOD when it reboots with Stop code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL What failed: iaStorE.sys

Any other suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

July 27th, 2022 12:00

At this point I'm not sure... this version worked for the other person, but a little amount of time has passed and that includes monthly windows updates and feature changes, so maybe "now" a different match is needed.

The only idea i can provide is : download the various releases of the driver, upgrade by one version > test the upgrade and if not working try the next version and so on.
But this also means that , imo, Dell should chat a bit with microsoft to offer their clients a seamless upgrade path for the top of the line workstations ( the fault is not on dell... it's entirely on microsoft imo ).

My 7820 is still on win10 and while it says "eligible" it's still saying "stay tuned, you will get offered the upgrade eventually" . But at this point, maybe the best path is win12, that should get out before the 2025 eol of win10....

1 Rookie

• 

90 Posts

July 27th, 2022 17:00

Hello @RABAsirap  @mazzinia @tennant_uk 
I had the same issue when my boot drive was NVME. When the boot drive is SATA there were no issues upgrading or booting Windows 11 on my precision 5820.
However, if the boot drive was the NVME disk, it is important to note two paths:

1) If upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 make sure you are not using the latest NVME Drivers as they will cause a blue screen. Before updating, make sure the NVME Drivers version is version 7.0 or lower...
2) If you install an nvme drive (no update), when loading the NVME Drivers in the Windows installation (to detect the NVME disks in the installation, since Microsoft does not provide the drivers in the ISO Image), load the drivers Drivers version 7.0 or lower (I don't remember, but it's the version available before August 2020). Any later version will cause problems.
I say this because I made several installations to detect the problem and tested all possible Intel VROC DRIVERS.

My boot configuration was RAID from NVME disk (They weren't necessarily Raid, but the RAID ON option was enabled in Bios).

One more detail I posted in the topic I opened at the time...

"

BIOS RAID MODE:

INTEL C600+/C220+ series CHIPSET SATA RAID Controller  (PROBLEM! WIN11 UPGRADE, MUST BE DELLETED before performing the upgrade)."

I mentioned this in my Windows 11 thread. And I had to do it this way using the NVME boot drive...

And anyway the Intel Volume Management Device NVME RAID Controller driver must be version 7.0.2 OR LOWER

July 30th, 2022 03:00

I am using Intel drivers v7.0.2.

Presumable the approach you are suggesting is only for a clean install of Windows 11; which I want to avoid if at all possible; as I have so much software installed. Prefer to solve to W10->W11 upgrade route if possible.

30 Posts

August 1st, 2022 08:00

Did you happen to grab the NEW BIOS update?
Mine got messed up with the new bios when restarting the system. It would say no boot drive or do a system SELF check. It was annoying I deleted the boot orders and it would come right back with the same errors. I had to downgrade the BIOS back to 2.20.0 dell really needs to get someone better for working on the BIOS Updates.

November 7th, 2022 02:00

I've tried upgrading to W11 again now that v22H2 is released; but still get the same BSOD when the install process reboots and it reverts back to W10.

Anyone found any other solutions?

No Events found!