Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2022 16:00

USB Attached SCSI Protocol support for Dell Precision USB 3.1 port

I'm working with my Dell Precision 5820 tower and I want to connect an external storage controller that supports UASP protocol.  Are the USB 3.1 ports on my system UASP enabled?  The service tag is .  A search through the 5820 manual didn't turn up either UASP or USB Attached SCSI Protocol.

8 Wizard

• 

6.2K Posts

September 6th, 2022 16:00

Hello, by default, all USB ports are enabled on your T5820.  When you connect an UASP supported device, you will see the driver is automatically installed in device manager.  So far, I have no problem with Windows base but I think the support in Linux is limited.

On another note, edit your post to remove the service tag, it's considered private info.  

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

September 6th, 2022 18:00

Hi @Chino de Oro,

There's just 20 min. to edit posts until privileges are elevated.  So I've just reminded posters to not post it; private info as you said.  : )

6 Posts

September 9th, 2022 10:00

Thanks, I attached an external storage enclosure that supports UASP yesterday, and after looking around in Device Manager it showed up in Storage controllers  labelled as "USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Compatible Device".  Looks like everything is working properly.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 9th, 2022 12:00

@DButch2022 wrote:

I'm working with my Dell Precision 5820 tower and I want to connect an external storage controller that supports UASP protocol.  Are the USB 3.1 ports on my system UASP enabled?  The service tag is .  A search through the 5820 manual didn't turn up either UASP or USB Attached SCSI Protocol.

Yes, UASP is a good thing.

However, it is a feature of the Controller in the External-Enclosure. There is no specific UASP support required of the computer hardware itself.

No Events found!