Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

July 11th, 2019 08:00

Will a T7610 motherboard work in a T7610 computer?

I have a T7600 and an opportunity to replace the non-functioning motherboard with one from a working T7610.  Will this be a case of plug and play, or am I facing a nightmare?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2019 19:00

Well, keep in mind proprietary Dell isn't going to issue documentation on possible interchangeable parts.  Often, certain swaps aren't interchangeable.

I Googled images of both the T7600 & T7610.  I did the same with the MB's.  I can say the front & rear of the towers look exactly the same.  Layout of the rear ports is the same.

Of course, the MB's aren't exactly the same as they're for different models. - This being part of the layout on top of the MB.  You can also compare images for yourself.  Sites I visited didn't allow screengrabs.  Rear ports on the MB's are the same.  If the screw holes are the same, I think it would be good to go.  I can't say it's plug & play, but it looks like it would be. - I observed where the plug-ins are.

While I can't give an "official" "yes," hopefully this helps.

1 Message

August 14th, 2019 07:00

I'm facing similar situation, and it seems T7600 and T7610 parts are interchangeable. Would like to have confirmation for this before starting this operation.

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

August 23rd, 2019 20:00

I'm amazed that someone can't just say unequivocally "I tried this and it works," or the opposite, if necessary.  I've been asking the question for at least a month, and your answer is the best I've come across.

I should also mention that there has to be a reason that the numbering (i.e. T7610) is a continuation of T7600 and not, for example, T7700.  That speaks volumes, to my way of thinking.  So I gather someone who reads this will actually try it and let us all know.

Thanks a million for your efforts.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2019 21:00

You're right - there is a reason for the way Dell does model #'s.  I think I ran across it in Wikipedia.

I was hoping for the same thing - somebody tried it and would've answered by now.  Who knows, may be it's you or DTpokal will have to try it and let us know.

I couldn't find any YouTube videos on the subject either.  The only video I found under "...replacement" didn't say what Precision and the MB clearly wasn't a match.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

December 8th, 2020 09:00

Just to let you know I replaced my T7600 motherboard with a T7610 motherboard with 2xXeon E5-2697 12 core processors and it worked! The only problem I ran into was the plug for the front panel USB/Power was on the lower right corner for the T7600 motherboard but Dell moved it to the middle of the T7610 motherboard so the cable was too short to reach. So we had to re-route the cable by taking is over the bracket where the front case fans were located and then everything fit. If you want some pictures of the cable move let me know.

2 Intern

• 

135 Posts

December 8th, 2020 19:00

"I should also mention that there has to be a reason that the numbering (i.e. T7610) is a continuation of T7600 and not, for example, T7700."

Not necessarily! Just look at the motherboard differences between a T7910 and a T7920. They are completely different.

No Events found!