Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2020 05:00

Dell Precision M6800 & QUADRO P4000 (VBIOS update)

Hello.

I have a Dell Precision M6800, and recently I got a NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (ID:10DE:1BB7:1028:07B1).
The Dell BIOS did not identify it, and it's only working if
I'm Linux user, and it works if ACPI and dynamic switchable graphics (Optimus) are disabled.

The graphic is: NVIDIA Quadro P4000
Version: 86.04.3A.00.3A
ID: 10DE:1BB7:1028:07B1

I want to enable ACPI and discrete graphic.
I saw several users had the same problem with a Quadro P5000, and it is easy to fix after updating the VGA BIOS (86.04.2E.00.0D), but I did not find a new similar VBIOS for my P4000.
Can you please provide a path/url where to find it?

Thanks.
Juan Pablo

September 3rd, 2020 09:00

Hello.
I found it, tested and works awesome.
The Dell BIOS is not still recognizing it, showing "unknown graphic", but ACPI and Optimus works.
I tested on Windows and Linux (under primusrun).
The Subsystem is not the same, but it is still working.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/dell_quadro_p4000-mobile-_86-04-2b-00-02-zip.173239

Thanks,
Juan Pablo

NVIDIA-P4000-Update.pngintel-vrs-p4000.pngP4000-Powered.jpg

2 Posts

October 6th, 2020 14:00

Thanks for sharing. What drivers version did you use for Windows 10 Pro 64 bit? I updated my card as well and was able to get into Windows fine. I am now unable to find the proper driver for the P4000 mobile card. I go to nVidia's site and download the proper driver, but I am receiving the message that no compatible hardware was found. And on some of the ones I have tried it says that it is not intended for this version of Windows along with it.

If someone can help me find the suitable and possibly updated driver I will be most grateful. And/or if there is an updated ROM? 

M6800 i7-4940MX

Original nvidia HWID 10DE 1BB7 10DE 11B5

Current nvidia HWID 10DE 1BB7 1028 05CD

Thanks!

January 4th, 2021 21:00

How did you disable ACPI? I cant find it in the BIOS. I also put in a new Quadro P4000 and I cant even boot off my flash drive to install windows because it keeps blue screening on me with "ACPI_BIOS_ERROR" as the stop code. I can get into BIOS, I can run the ePSA Dell system assessment (everything passes fine so long as dedicated graphics isn't selected), I can even navigate through potential boot options but that blue screen keeps crashing my machine before I can get windows installed.

January 5th, 2021 04:00

Hello.

Before to update the graphic BIOS (VBIOS) I was not be able to boot Windows, only Linux. you need flash your vbios (from linux) then you can boot Windows without problems (with enabled ACPI).

If you don't want install a Linux, I guess you can use a live CD/USB distro.I suppose that the best option is a mining or gaming distro, they are more oriented to have graphic card utilities.

Do not forget to set "--noacpi" option on the kernel Linux's boot.

Good luck & and happy new year!

Juan Pablo

January 5th, 2021 07:00

Is there a linux GPU flash utility for nvidia? Thanks Juan. Happy new year to you as well.

January 5th, 2021 09:00

Sorry for the wait.

Yes I have Window 10 pro.

I don't sure what driver I used here, but if I remember it fine, I forced use a generic driver of Windows.

You know it:

Hardware manager->VGA card -> update driver->choice driver->list all devices -> Nvidia -> quadro p4000.

After it I think it should be able install the official one.

Have a nice day!

Juan Pablo

January 11th, 2021 20:00

Hey Juan. Thank you for everything. I was able to get the vbios flashed with linux mint, and windows 10 installed. But device manager wont recognize the card as an NVIDIA Quadro. Its using Microsoft basic display adapter as the driver and when i go to update it, "update driver->choice driver->list all devices ->Nvidia..." There is no "Nvidia." This is literally the last step in this nightmare of a process. Please help me just once more. How do I get windows 10 to recognize the device as a P4000? GPU-Z says its a GP104 so somehow IT knows. Please! Please tell me how you got the windows 10 drivers working.

January 12th, 2021 09:00

Hi!
you can try this:
Download the last version of the Quadro driver from NVIDIA website.
When you run it, copy the full path of the temp installation. Something like: "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\461.09\Win10-DCH_64\International", and continue

It will not find the card, but do not close the window. Then copy the previous path with all subdirectores to where ever you want it, in my case "C:\Driver\NVIDIA\461.09".
Now you can close the windows.

Then, go to Device Manager, and select your card.
Update driver => "Browser my computer" => "Let me pick from a list" => "Have Disk" => put your path (my mine is "C:\Driver\NVIDIA\461.09\Display.Driver\") => OK => Nvidia Quadro P4000.

I see around 6 P4000, but first works fine.

Good luck!
Juan Pablo

1 Message

January 22nd, 2021 12:00

Hi @jpgesquerdo ,

What heatsink did you use with the P4000 since it has some physical differences from the other Quadro K series?

Thanks in advance!

217 Posts

January 22nd, 2021 20:00

Here is an excerpt from one of my other posts, this will detail the steps you need to go through to install the official Nvidia driver package on a Dell laptop using a "un-supported" GPU.

As for the drivers, you will need to install the new GPU first.  Then go into the system Bios and decide if you want to use the Switchable Graphics feature.  I personally turn this feature off on all of my machines when the option is available.  Now boot into windows, open the device manager and write down the Device ID for your new GPU.  Just remember that the Device ID will change based on your switchable graphics setting. (I just copy and paste the Device ID into a notepad file and save it.)

Next is the fun part.  Download the newest Nvidia published driver for your GPU.  Use your favorite file compression software to extract the contents of the installer file to a folder on your HDD.

Now you need to look at your device ID.  Here is the device ID for my Quadro P5000 installed into a Precision 7710.
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BB6&SUBSYS_16DA1028&REV_A1
You need to look at yours and note the string of four characters that I have highlighted on mine.  

Open the file "ListDevices.txt" and search for your four digit string of characters.  Make a copy of a line in that section that has the same GPU as yours, and modify it with data from your device ID. (also make a note of the whole 8 digit string after "SUBSYS_" from the donor line you will need it later)  Now look at the file name listed at the beginning of that block, and note it.  Save the file.

Go into the Display.Driver folder and look for the inf file that starts with the first four digits of the one you notated.
For example mine listed "nvdm.inf", so I needed to go into "nvdmwi.inf"
Open the .inf file in notepad.
Now search for the 8 digit string you noted (add a . in the center), and leave the search window up
Copy the line and modify it so all of the info matches the data from your device ID
click find next, and repeat this process for every line that returns a match.
save the file.

Now you need to turn off "Driver Signature Enforcement"
Hold shift while clicking Restart from the Star Menu.
Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click the Restart button.
When your computer restarts you’ll see a list of options. Press F7 on your keyboard to select Disable driver signature enforcement.

When you get back into windows open the folder where you extracted your Nvidia drivers and double click "setup.exe"

If you have done everything correctly, the drivers will install and you will have a functioning GPU.

Keep in mind that whenever you want to install a newer driver you will need to go through the whole mod process for the new driver package.

1 Message

January 25th, 2021 11:00

Hi, I had my P5000 running on my Dell precision m6800 for years.. something happened and now the Nvidia Control Panel won't launch so i thought I'd try and reinstal the driver but for the life of me I cannot remember which version of the driver I had. I can't seem to check due to the nvidia components not functioning.  

I was following your method which is what was I believe I previously did a while back.. though when I look in the ListDevise.txt the only listing I see with the "15CD" ( by the way has the same id key as the one you listed) is " DEV_13B3&SUBSYS_15CD1028 "NVIDIA Quadro K2200M"?  Which is why I was wondering which Driver version you have?

Also, I can't seem to edit, nor extract it then replace the original the list with in WinRAR.. What should I be using?

I can't believe I forgot how to do this, help would be appreciated.

January 27th, 2021 12:00

I had to modify the one I had for the Quadro K5100m in my Bridgeport.

January 27th, 2021 12:00

You have to add your own registry to the driver installer .inf file.

2 Posts

December 11th, 2022 00:00

Hello,

I have this problem now and I am in need. Is there any chance to get this p4000 vbios from you to work with dell precision m6800 ? (the link in the topic is no longer active hence my question)
greet and wait for a reply

No Events found!