Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2007 18:00

1600n ADF Jams every time

Hello,

The automatic document feeder on my 1600n jams all the time.  It jams at the exact same spot every time, just before the paper hits the glass.  When it does jam, The ADF Scan Page Count is only 242, the feeder looks very clean.

When I run a piece of paper into the ADF, it makes two noises:  the first is the initial paper feed, then a slight pause, then a second feed sound but nothing is happening.  This second feed sound is (my guess) where the issue is, it sounds like a gear moving but no paper moves.

Unfortunately, it's out of warranty.  But you'd think that after only 242 scans it should still be working.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

9 Posts

January 29th, 2009 11:00

This one got no answers but I now have the identical problem - great description in the OP. The paper gets picked up, passes the initial feeder assembly, feeds into the black plastic housing to the left, gets curled down toward the glass - there's a mechanical sound and it stops before the leading edge reaches the glass.

Any advice on a fix??

3 Posts

September 14th, 2009 13:00

I am having the same problem with my 948.  I see that there were no answers posted, did you ever figure out how to fix the ADF?  Of course mine just went out of warranty...

September 30th, 2009 12:00

I have the same problem too. Did anyone ever figure out a possible fix?

March 16th, 2010 20:00

I am having the exact same problem! Only used the ADF on my 1600n a couple of dozen times, much less that 242!!

This thread is 3 years old... I don't see Dell jumping in here to help users with an obviously faulty product that they sold, what a surprise that is! Clearly, this is a widespread issue for this printer model: you can find references all over the Web, not just on this forum. They should have issued a recall and replaced these ADF's, but I doubt that that's ever going to happen.

I refuse to pay $100 for a new ADF that is probably going to go the way of the old one after just a few scans. Hell, this whole printer is probably worth about as much by now. Well, I am glad I don't have to scan large numbers of documents - flatbed scanning works, and it is enough for my needs. However, it still bothers me that this thing broke before I even had a chance to use it.

Very poor quality control by Dell, and clearly no remorse or desire to remedy the situation!

7 Posts

March 16th, 2010 23:00

How did all of you get your printers to scan?  Mine won't.  The PCs keep telling me Port is disabled, but Acrobat, PaperPort, and PhotoShop all see it a a scanner.  When I try to scan from the printer, it keep asking me for a user ID, then beeps twice, and comes up with an error saying list empty.  What list?  what ID?  I found nothing anywhere in the guide, manual, or online about any scan list, or User ID.  I think I have a broken printer right?  I can print fine from the computer, and copy works as well.

I've been tryng to get an answer to this for three weeks now.  Dell is clueless, and no one else seem to know anything about it.  Hopefully someone here that is actually scanning can shed some light.

Thanks,

Jim.

7 Posts

March 17th, 2010 03:00

Sounds like your 1600n is in network mode. I use mine in network mode, so I always have to choose a "user ID" when I scan. This "user ID" refers to a particular computer on your network. You have to install client software on each computer that  you want to scan to. This software is called "Dell Network Scan" and it's part of the official driver package. It's a little resident program that lives in your system tray. In this program, you set up your "user ID" and connect to your MFP, and when your computer is online, the program communicates with the MFP and your "user ID" shows up in the list when you hit the scan button. Then your scanned document goes directly to the machine which corresponds to a particular "user ID".

Yes, I have the Dell Network Scan Manager telling me the scanner is working properly and is online, but still I get from the PC that the port is disabled, and at the printer console, it's looking for an ID.

Like I said, this is how my 1600n is set up. I have several computers at home, all on the same wireless router, and the MFP is connected to the router via a network cable, so I can scan to any one of my computers over my wireless network. It is actually very convenient!

However, I think you are just trying to use your 1600n as a local printer via USB, in which case you need to make sure it is in local mode, not network mode. Unfortunately, I never had mine set up this way, so I cannot tell you how to do it, but I hope I have at least pointed you in the right direction. The manual should contain more answers. Good luck! :)

No, it's definitely on the network, and it is in network mode.  I have it hooked to my router along with my Samsung CLP-310n color laser.  Like I said, I can print fine from all of my computers, except for the MACs, but it jut won't scan no matter what I try.  I think I have a broken printer.  It's a shame too because it's only 4 months old.  Unfortunately, I bought it from eBay so there is no warrenty, but it was cheap enough to where tossing it in the trash will only sting a little.  I have decided to replace it with a Samsung CLX-3175FN MFP color laser.  That way I can have scanning abilities for my MACs too. 

If I knew before hand that the 1600n was not compatible with MAC, I would have never bought it.

PS: On another note, I was so consumed with writing my angry letter to Dell (above), that I forgot to ask the main question that brought me to this board: has anyone ACTUALLY FOUND A SOLUTION to the ADF problem?

When I copied, mine worked fine.

March 17th, 2010 03:00

Sounds like your 1600n is in network mode. I use mine in network mode, so I always have to choose a "user ID" when I scan. This "user ID" refers to a particular computer on your network. You have to install client software on each computer that  you want to scan to. This software is called "Dell Network Scan" and it's part of the official driver package. It's a little resident program that lives in your system tray. In this program, you set up your "user ID" and connect to your MFP, and when your computer is online, the program communicates with the MFP and your "user ID" shows up in the list when you hit the scan button. Then your scanned document goes directly to the machine which corresponds to a particular "user ID".

Like I said, this is how my 1600n is set up. I have several computers at home, all on the same wireless router, and the MFP is connected to the router via a network cable, so I can scan to any one of my computers over my wireless network. It is actually very convenient!

However, I think you are just trying to use your 1600n as a local printer via USB, in which case you need to make sure it is in local mode, not network mode. Unfortunately, I never had mine set up this way, so I cannot tell you how to do it, but I hope I have at least pointed you in the right direction. The manual should contain more answers. Good luck! :)

PS: On another note, I was so consumed with writing my angry letter to Dell (above), that I forgot to ask the main question that brought me to this board: has anyone ACTUALLY FOUND A SOLUTION to the ADF problem?

March 17th, 2010 08:00

Well then... What port are you referring to? In "Dell Network Scan" did you set up your user ID? The main screen of your DNS Manager should look like this:

The device name could really be anything, you choose this when you configure your device. If you select your printer and click on "Properties", then go to the "Server" tab, you should see this:

Here, you can see my user ID for this computer is EEEPC. Once again, this can be anything you choose. If you do not see a user ID here, you should delete your device from the main screen and create a new one using "Add Device". Make sure to assign a name to your user ID. I never use a PIN, as it only complicates things. Beyond that, I have never had to configure any additional ports. DNS Manager handles the document processing based on the configuration settings under the "Advanced" tab.

Hope it works for you

7 Posts

March 17th, 2010 12:00

Well then... What port are you referring to? In "Dell Network Scan" did you set up your user ID? The main screen of your DNS Manager should look like this:

I have no clue what port it's referring to.  that's why I'm so confused.  I have never seen this type of thing before.

The device name could really be anything, you choose this when you configure your device. If you select your printer and click on "Properties", then go to the "Server" tab, you should see this:

Here, you can see my user ID for this computer is EEEPC. Once again, this can be anything you choose. If you do not see a user ID here, you should delete your device from the main screen and create a new one using "Add Device". Make sure to assign a name to your user ID. I never use a PIN, as it only complicates things. Beyond that, I have never had to configure any additional ports. DNS Manager handles the document processing based on the configuration settings under the "Advanced" tab.

Yes, those screens are exactly like mine except of course  for the Server Information.  I've tried deleting the device, and creating another one, and it works perfectly without any errors, tells me it's online and ready, Once again, when I try to scan, I get port is disabled error, and at the printer console, it is asking me for a user ID, then beeps twice and tells me the list is empty.  So, I delete the device, create a new one, turn the printer off, then back on, and still, Port disabled, Printer requesting user ID at the console.

Like I said I think it's the printer.  I have several other problems with it too.  it's a real lemon.  I thank you for your help, but I'm tossing it in the trash next week, and ordering the CLX-3175FN MFP color laser.

2 Posts

May 18th, 2012 00:00

The problem is the ADF rubber pad, you can either use a baby wipe to clean it or a mild soap on a lint free cloth. 

Instructions on how to get to it are found here: http://sequimpc.com/Dell/ADF_Rubber_Pad.pdf

No Events found!