Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2009 02:00

1710n disappeared from network after setting static IP address.

I had been using a 1710n with an IP address from the DHCP server, but it kept changing (!)

So I set the static IP address of my 1710n to end in .230 using the dell utlilty (form a PC over the network).

After this, I could not see the printer on the network - I could not ping it despite the system insisting the address DID end in .230 (from a test/status page).

I tried to reset the printer to factory defaults (Turning off, holding down both buttons and powering back on  again).

Nothing changed.

I hooked into the printer using a USB cable (which worked), but I could not change the static address (no menu item available) or change the address mode to Enable DHCP.

The printer works, just not as a network printer.

Any Ideas ?

regards, James

2 Posts

December 7th, 2009 15:00

I am not sure what kind of router you have, but what most routers display under status>>connected devices is a list of DHCP clients. So whenever you have a static IP it falls off the DHCP list-this is because the router is not assigning the device an IP. Anyway, you should still be able to ping it. You should ensure that the address you manually assign is in the same subnet as your router e.g. if your router is 192.168.1.1 then you need to assign the printer 192.168.1.xxx. Then ping to confirm.

No Events found!