Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2006 02:00

1815DN Phonebook problem

Just purchased the 1815 printer and I'm still getting it set up. It resides on the network and doesn't have a PC directly connected. I've begun to enter the phone numbers that will be used from all workstations to fax out. I've added phone numbers by the control panel directly on the unit. I've also added phone number from a workstation, but maybe not the normal way.

The user's guide shows a software setup program that didn't install on my machine. The only way to add phone numbers to it from a PC is to http to the IP address and go from there. There is no way to setup a cover sheet either.

Another issue, even more important, is to view and select the stored phone numbers on the machine from any workstation. Is that possible? How do I get to it?

It appears I can set up individual phonebooks at each computer, but I don't want to set up 30 phonebooks in four locations. The chance of error is too great, and the changes wouldn't get done properly at each computer.

Dell tech support has been contacted. George, Mike and several other are supposed to email me the solution, but nothing yet.

How do I access the phone book on the 1815 from a networked computer?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2006 19:00

A follow-up on my post. After taking to George, Mike, Ben, and Sean, I've learned you can not see the machine resident phonebook from the pc based software. You can only use windows or outlook address books. You can use a unified windows address book located on a mapped drive, but that's not recommended.

When faxing from the PC, you don't have any idea if the fax went through okay. The solution is to get up and go look at the machine and print a report. Difficult if you are not in the same building or part of town. This is supposed to be a network MFP, which means more than a shared printer.

I'm sure it is a fine machine for the small one office - few users situation, but the software needs work.

I think the potential is there to make this a sought after MFP with network fax, but not at this point. Anybody at Dell I can contact and work with to help in this project?

6 Posts

September 4th, 2009 14:00

I would agree with your sentiments. Though using the Windows Address Book isn't ideal, we're stuck with that. Unfortunately that only works on our Windows 2003 Server Terminal Server when users are in the Power Users group. My post is here: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19065531/19188517.aspx

Did you get instructions from Dell support on how to use a unified windows address book located on a mapped drive? While not ideal, it would be better than no phonebook at all.

Thanks.

6 Posts

October 8th, 2009 14:00

I've figured out what the permission problem was using the Windows Address Book, and solved it. http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19065531/19564765.aspx#19564765

No Events found!