Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 20th, 2007 10:00

1815DN scan to email "Connection Error"

Hi,

My problem in short: None of the 1815dn's email-features works although all other network-features are working fine.

Here is the problem in detail:
So far, everything with the Dell 1815DN does work except for all the email features.
Every time I try to scan-to-email a document I get a "Connection Error". As the manual suggests I've checked the network connection again and again, but it still doesn't work. Interestingly, all the other network features work, it's possible to print over the network, to scan to a PC within the network and I can access the printer by its IP.

When there is no network activity, the orange LED next to the network plug is constantly on and the green LED is blinking once every second. When I scan a document to a PC on the network, the green LED starts flashing. Can someone confirm the network LED pattern (to make sure that the network connection is working), please?

Every time I start to send a document as an email everything works fine (Login, password, email-address, self-copy etc.) and the scanner starts working. The display message says "Sending mail..." and after a while it says "Failed" and "Connection Error". During the whole procedure the network LED blinking pattern doesn't change, there is no flashing of the green LED, it's all the time constantly orange a the usual once-a-second-blinking of the green LED. So I assume, the 1815DN doesn't even try to connect to the SMTP-Server and doesn't try to contact the network at all.

I've set the SMTP-server settings exactly as they are on my PC on the network where sending emails works perfectly fine. As SMTP-server I use mail.gmx.net (I've also tried its "real" IP-address 213.165.64.20), port 25, user authentication is enabled (I don't have "@" in my user name) and I have tried several other SMTP-servers - it simply doesn't work.
The 1815DN uses the latest firmware available on the net (1.03.02.06 05-29-2006).

The email alerts (supply alert/paper handling alert) don't work either.

Is there somewhere a (hidden?) setting where I have to activate all the email-features first?

With Dell's technical support my problem is escalated by now and also referred to Dell’s software department, but there is still no solution. As I start to become desperate about this issue, I'm really thankful for every hint.

amphy

1 Message

January 23rd, 2007 17:00

This happens to my users every now and then. "Connection Error" when attempting to scan to email. Shutting the unit off and turning it on again using the hard power switch in the rear corrects the problem for us.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2007 14:00

Shutting off and turning it on again does not work in my case, there is still this "Connection Error" every time I try.

Any ideas?

Do the settings for "SMTP Server Setup" interfer with the SMTP settings in "Email Alert Setup"? (None of the email-functions is working, I've also updated the firmware to V1.03.03.08.)

1 Message

February 23rd, 2007 06:00

We had the same problem. It was solved when we renamed our SMTP server "mail.bellsouth.net". If you are using a DSL connection, renaming your SMTP server to the appropriate name may work for you. By the way, we were told by Dell tech support that the firmware upgrade did not affect this problem, so we did not download the new firmware. Our guess is that it is not a 1815dn problem. Have you contacted gmx.net regarding your trouble? Message Edited by Rollow on 02-23-2007 02:09 AM

Message Edited by Rollow on 02-23-2007 02:10 AM

9 Posts

March 23rd, 2007 21:00

Amphy,

I know this "connection error" can be very frustrating; I too experienced this.  And I at first thought it was a problem with the new firmware upgrade.  Quite by accident, I discovered that I had failed to input my SMTP Server Password.  This is under EMAIL SETTINGS>SMTP Server Setup and fill in the field called SMTP Server Password.   Somehow, I forgot to fill this in when I upgraded to the new firmware.

I would also leave the SMTP Server and Port with the appropriate SMTP prefix. eg., smtp.mail.socal.rr.com
No Events found!