Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 27th, 2009 08:00

1815DN with "no paper" error

I've been trying to find schematics or a service manual on the 1815DN for no avail.

I'm trying to troubleshoot an 1815DN printer that seems to have a malfunctioning paper tray sensor.

The current problem is that the printer keeps saying there's no paper in the tray.  It doesn't matter whether I put it in and configure it for legal or letter.  The bypass tray works beautifully.

The original problem was that the printer was not able to print on legal size paper without it giving a "paper jam 0" error.  It would throw the error right after the bottom of the paper left the toner cartridge and the top of the paper was less than a cm away from the top rollers right before the paper comes out.  The strange thing is that the printer was able to print letter size paper perfectly.  The printer was originally set up to print legal for all but one month.  While I was troubleshooting I made note of the fact that the printer would try to pick up paper even when there was none in the tray.  I couldn't get it to go "No Paper".  Then after a restart I couldn't get it to stop saying "No Paper"

I'm looking for any insight, info on how to inspect the paper tray sensor or a schematic or service manual.  Thank you all.

Frank Ruiz

1.7K Posts

March 6th, 2009 10:00

Can you still print Letter size paper?

Or, is the printer currently stuck with "NO PAPER" displayed?

If you can still print letter, please print the settings page and tell me what the default paper size is for the paper tray.

btw..... service docs are only made available to certified Dell service providers.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 11th, 2009 07:00

Thank you for your reply.  The printer has gone back to the original problem on its own.  Once again it is only printing letter size paper properly.  Legal gets stuck right after it leaves the toner cartridge.  It looks to me like if one of the paper sensors is stuck...

I've switched the paper settings through the network control panel from letter to legal several times back and forth and it doesn't behave any differently.

What kind of sensors should I look for then?

1.7K Posts

March 11th, 2009 10:00

The same sensor is used to detect the completion of a Letter size page AND a Legal size page..... only the timing is diferent.

In other words, when the top end of a Legal size sheet trips the sensor, it will take longer for the sensor to detect the end of the page than for Letter paper because.... Legal paper is 3 inches longer. (you indicate you can see the end of it past the toner cart..... is this the bottom END of the page you see?)

What is the paper size specified for the PRINT JOB ?? (not the size you've specified in the tray) The JOB paper size and the Printer paper size need to match.

Have you tried cleaning the main feed roller? A dirty feed roller will directly affect the feed rate of the paper. Dampen a cloth using warm water (never alcohol) and clean the grime from the rubber surface, then completely dry the feed roller. Dry with a lint free rag..... old clean tee-shirt works good.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 12th, 2009 09:00

Yes, when the printer jams on a legal size sheet the bottom of the paper has just left the toner cartridge, the top of the sheet is less than 1cm away from protruding from the top.

No, I have not cleaned the main feed roller, I'll try that next (the printer has not been in heavy use and is at most 14 months old, the most wear and tear it's gotten was a trip to NY from Miami and back, but it hasn't been moved in 10 months).  And thanks for the tip on not using alcohol, that's what I probably would have used, whoopsie...

From the beginning I've been testing the printer by doing copies from the front panel to eliminate any possible driver issues, so I'm glad we don't have to worry about that  ;)

Thank you for all your help so far :)

No Events found!