Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 26th, 2006 18:00

1815dn - Email Server Settings: Unable to save login name

We just purchased a 1815dn and I am trying to set it up to automatically email all received faxes. Our email server requires authentication to send emails.

So I go into the menu for "Email Setup" and click on "SMTP Server Settings". I type in the IP address, click authentication and fill everything out. Now, our login name has the underscore character "_" and we have to type in the full email address. Therefore, the login names contains an underscore, the @ character and a period "." for the .com part. Upon submitting the information, the next page says that there is an error with the login name and doesn't save it.

Now, under "Email Alert Setup" I have the same settings saved in there and it works with no problems.

Is there anything I need to try? Is there a new firmware to fix this?

Thank you for your help,
Michael

1 Message

October 23rd, 2006 04:00

I was unable to find a free service that does not require the "@whatever.com", but suddenly realized that my yahoo mail plus account does not require it. (I tried it... It works!!!! And on the first try!) Granted, it was $20 a year, but for now it is a fairly inexpensive way to use the email forwarding feature.

However, I will be pretty annoyed if Dell doesnt manage to fix the problem before I have to pay for another year.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2006 18:00

The MFP 1815dn is indeed a neat device but not being able to use scan-to-email features was quite a set-back. I'm also suffering of not being able to use the @ symbol in the "SMTP Server Login Name" field.

Anyway, I was able to find an free ISP (www.gmx.net) where you can use the email address OR the customer number as login credentials. Even so, scan-to-email failed with the error message "Send Error (SMTP)"

I hope to see a firmware upgrade soon to fix this special characters issue (Even tough it's questionable if nowadays the @ symbol still can be referred as a special character…)

4 Posts

December 6th, 2006 17:00

Ok, here's the good news: Dell fixed the "@" issue for the SMTP server Login Name already back in August 2006 with firmware v1.03.02.07T

The bad news is that the new firmware is not yet available for download. I've received firmware v1.03.03.05 on CD directly from Dell.

It works stable and I'm now able to use the scan-to-email feature! :manvery-happy:

8 Posts

December 6th, 2006 20:00

Hi Gina,

Thanks for the link, but the link you provided is for older firmware (1.03.02.06).  The firmware update that Su_G_uS referred to is a later version, 1.03.03.05 and has not been posted on the web site (I've been checking every week for months now...)

1.7K Posts

Here is the link to the update you are referring to. It was released back in August. You must do both the driver update and the firmware update.

1.7K Posts

Wow I missed that, sorry. I checked it but it looked the same to me. Question have you tried it any way? I wonder if there may have been a typo either on the website or on the disk that Su_G_uS received since it is the same timeframe. In the mean time I'll do some checking from my end to verify if this is the same one on the disk that Su_G_uS has.

Su_G_uS can you look on the disk and see what the file name is? Can you give a more specific date off the disk?

Message Edited by DELL-Gina on 12-06-200604:42 PM

8 Posts

December 6th, 2006 21:00

I've been using the version on the web site since it was released. It fixed the problem of the Ethernet port on the printer dying every couple of days, but I haven't see any changes based on my Top 10 list that I posted a few months back.

The drivers in the August release were actually created in May, based on my printer status screen. It just took them months to post the file.

1.7K Posts

December 6th, 2006 22:00

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do about getting this other firmware update. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

8 Posts

December 7th, 2006 19:00

I just spent an hour and a half on the phone with Dell tech support.  I was on hold 45 minutes and spoke to 4 different people.  The final person was actually able to reproduce the problem but apparently there are no knowledgebase articles on the subject, much to my amazement. Anyway, he was unable to find that firmware revision and the only solution he could offer was to escalate the problem.

Gina, I'm hoping you have more success.

4 Posts

December 8th, 2006 06:00

DELL-Gina wrote:

Su_G_uS can you look on the disk and see what the file name is? Can you give a more specific date off the disk?

The file name is " Dell1815dn_V1.03.03.05_smdall.hd"

Release notes:
Date:

Version:

Updated Items:
1. Configuration Report Printing Problem is fixed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date:

Version:
1.03.02.07T

Updated Items:
1. Empty Password: #145936
2. Accept "@" for SMTP Server Login Name: #146652
3. Remove Cotton Paper Type: #146694
4. Paper Size for Scan to Email: #146807
5. "Press Cancel To Confirm": #146808

Date:

Version:

Updated Items:
1. Fix TTI Issue: Problem occurred when sending color fax with 20 bytes length of machine id.

Date:

Version:

Updated Items:
1. Fixed wrong redial behavior in Czech language.
2. Fixed Junk Fax number error when registering "++++" string.
3. Fixed Error when Power Off/On after printing Scheduled Jobs Report with Delayed Fax Jobs.
4. Changed Power save active mode in case of Paper Empty state.

11 Posts

December 8th, 2006 13:00

Latest 1815dn Firmware Not on Support.Dell.com

Date:

Version:
1.03.03.05  (This is not on the Dell Support Site)

This firmware needs to be promoted to the Web.  Its a shame that they have not updated the firmware for this product within the past 6 months despite the fact that there are fixes available for one or more features in an internally promoted firmware.  This firmware is not doing anyone any good sitting on Dell's internal servers if its not available to the public.  I should not have to purchase some CD to get it either. If the 1815dn product development folks can ship the firmware on a CD they can certainly post it to http://support.dell.com.  Tell the Product\Project Manager for the printer to get organized and post it!  This needs to be escalated and the more support folks that escalate it the better. The latest A-rev firmware should be available for customers to download.  Lets give eveyone a nice holiday gift and get this firmware uploaded to the website so this printer can begin working the way it was intended.

Thanks for your help to whomever at Dell gets it done.

13 Posts

December 8th, 2006 19:00

@Su_G_uS:

Could you please upload this new firmware version somewhere, maybe on rapidshare or something?

As you maybe know the Dell 1815dn has a Samsung brother, the SCX-5530FN.
I looked a bit around on the Samsung website. They had their last driver sets released on 3rd November.

The Samsung PCL driver is version 1.07 (Dell has 1.06)
The Samsung Twain driver has version 1.3.3.0 (Dell has 1.2.9.1)
Netscan version is 1.11.09 (Dell has 1.06.10)

You can install them but none is working with the 1815dn, even though the file sets seem to be very similar. There is some kind of "device detection" build in probaply.

I could not find any firmware files on the samsung site.

Message Edited by lochi009 on 12-08-200603:06 PM

18 Posts

December 9th, 2006 18:00

Hi @Su_G_uS

I don't suppose you've got updated drivers as well as the new firmware ?

1.7K Posts

December 11th, 2006 19:00

Yes, I am working on this. Also, Su_G_uS you should remove the Case # since it is a TOS Violation. You can PM me that number.

13 Posts

December 11th, 2006 19:00

@Su_G_uS: Ok. These are a good arguments.
No Events found!