Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2008 19:00

1815dn sheet feeder jams

Hello,

I'm having a problem where my 1815dn printer's sheet feeder jams constantly.  It doesn't matter if I'm scanning or faxing, it will jam at some point.  Sometimes on the first page, sometimes later.  It is extremely consistent in that it will jam at some point in a scan or fax job.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?  An adjustment I can make?

Thanks,

Steig

Message Edited by steigw on 04-15-2008 03:06 PM

1.7K Posts

April 19th, 2008 21:00

Interpreting your description of the problem, I take it you mean you're having problems with the ADF (Auto Document Feeder) jamming.... correct?

If so, when is the last time the rubber roller parts were removed and cleaned? This is periodically a good thing to do, and in the event of frequent jams, required.

Use warm water and a mild soap solution (never alcohol). Wash the grime from the rubber surfaces then completely dry all. Dry with a lint free rag..... an old clean tee-shirt works good.

Message Edited by llynster on 04-19-2008 05:08 PM

April 29th, 2008 15:00

What he is saying, is that he is having trouble with the feed from the paper tray, not ADF.  I am having similar problem, as the printer will take paper from the bypass tray, but will not load the paper from the tray.  It will make noise indicating an attempt, but then will not load paper and I get a paper jam error code instructing me to open front door and remove jam.

Problem is obviously in the feed, what can I do to fix?

Michael

1.7K Posts

April 29th, 2008 16:00

Sorry..... I don't read it that way.

To quote "It doesn't matter if I'm scanning or faxing, it will jam at some point."

You can't scan or fax using the main paper tray..... so my interpretation is that the ADF feeder is what he's having a problem with. We won't really know until he replies to the thread he started.

In your case......

If you pull out your tray and look down at the rubber pad, this is called the Separator Pad. Along the top edge of the pad, there should be a metal strip. Is it there? Is it twisted or damaged?

Also, the cleaning the rollers "trick" applies to your feed problem as well.

Unplug your power cord.

Pull your tray completely out.

Have someone hold the unit up at an angle while you remove the Feed roller.

(see image.... lift small clip enough to slide the roller completely off the end of the shaft)

Next, using warm water and a mild soap solution (never alcohol), wash the grime from the rubber tire surfaces then completely dry the feed roller and plastics. Dry with a lint free rag (an old clean tee-shirt works good) or compressed DRY air.....

May 27th, 2008 16:00

The original poster apparently never came back but I'd like to extend this thread, since I'm having a similar problem with the Auto Document Feeder on my 1815dn.

The problem is this: The last page of any stack in the ADF will jam:

If I put ten pages in, 9 will feed and the last will jam.

If I put twenty pages in, 19 will feed and the last will jam.

If I put just one page in, that page will jam.

It's always the last page of the stack.

The jam comes at the point where the page is being ejected into the 'finished' bin. The document feeds about 60% of the way out, stops, feeds about another inch, stops, feeds to within about a half-inch of 'freedom', and then the printer stops with a beep and a 'document jam' error.

This has been consistent behavior since I purchased the machine.

1.7K Posts

May 28th, 2008 17:00

Very good description of the problem.....

When you first slide the doc(uments) into the ADF feeder, does the machine make a small "beep" signal?

It should.

If not, open the ADF lid and check the sensor flag just to the left* of the ADF feed rollers. There will be a slot where a piece of plastic that looks like a sharks fin should be protruding up thru the slot. Each time you press this plastic flag downward (simulating a paper load), the machine should beep. Also, the flag should pop back up straight with no delay.

*(As viewing the feeder straight on.... like you're a piece of paper being slid into the feeder)

If the flag is missing or is stuck down, you'll see the same symptom you described.

(I reproduced this problem at work by taping the flag down)

May 28th, 2008 17:00

Thanks for your response.

Okay, after reading your post:

The Sensor flag is deployed, and seems to move freely, both up and down.

Interesting behavior, though, when I run a sheet through the machine and keep an eye on the sensor flag:

When I put a page into the feeder, the page pushes the sensor flag down and there is a beep, just as you describe. When the page starts to feed and moves upwards into the slot, the flag follows, and I can see it pushing up against the bottom of the page.

Once the sheet feeds into the scanner past the flag, the flag pops up most of the way to the fully deployed position. I can hear a quiet 'click' as the flag contacts something hard (this is distinct from the much louder 'pop' that accompanies the pause in the paper movement).

With the first 'paper pause' I described in my original post, the flag pops up another couple of degrees.

Then, with the second 'pause', it pops up another couple of degrees into the fully deployed position.

Then the machine jams, as described before.

The flag seems to move freely when I move it with my finger, but when the ADF is in use, something seems to be keeping it from completely returning to the original position - but in stages, as the paper pauses going into the output tray.

1.7K Posts

May 28th, 2008 18:00

As I view the action in my machine, as soon as the trailing edge of the paper moves past the flag, it pops all the way up.... immediately.

You'll notice during ADF feed activity that the feed rollers grab and feed the paper, then lift as the rollers further into the feed path take control of paper motion. This will cause the paper to look like it lifts and lowers as it enters the feeder.

In any case, as soon as the trailing edge of the final piece of paper moves past the flag, it should pop up all the way, immediately. If there is any delay in this action, the feeder thinks there's paper still in the unit and tries to feed again.

May 28th, 2008 18:00

Yep, that's definitely not happening on my machine. There are two distinct pauses in the sensor flag returning to the orginal position, timed to the pauses in the paper feed.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this? I don't see any access to that part of the ADF mechanism.

1 Message

April 27th, 2012 13:00

I am having the same problem as this post. I pulled out the tray and cleaned the pad. The metal strip is there, but it appears to be loose. Could this be causing the problem? The manual lists parts to be replaced at different yields. Is the "Tray rubber pad" the same thing as the "Separator pad"?

No Events found!