Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2009 08:00

3000cn - Will not feed paper at all

My printer was printing fine until it stopped feeding paper & gave me "Paper Jam - Open Reg Cover" on display panel. There was no jam. If I turn it off/on it passes its self test & comes up ready for printing. If I send it a print job or even send an internal "Print Report" it goes through the motions, picks up the paper in the MPF tray but the picker does not rotate, and comes up with the "Paper Jam" message again but no associated error code. I do not have another tray on this printer. Are there diagnostics I can run? Visibly everything looks OK.

January 1st, 2010 17:00

I have 3 3000cn printers, one of which does not feed paper properly.  I limped along for a while nudging the central pickup roller down a few degrees, after which the paper movement process would function correctly.  But I got thinking that it might be nothing more than a lack of lubrication that was causing the binding; so I commenced to take this hummer apart.  It was not very difficult to remove the rear door and then the component that moves the paper from horizontal to vertical.  I could rotate the main shaft in the direction of the embossed arrows and watch the process.  When I did it manually all the parts worked properly.  I reassembled the parts and watched the actual process from the front looking inside the MPF.  Most parts worked as I expected:  the gears on the left side of the main shaft meshed with the vertical movement component and as soon as the print report button was pressed they would commence rotating.  After a few seconds, the large central roller commenced to rotate, but here is where the manual and automatic versions differed: the rear section of the paper tray ( I call it the lift gate) did not snap upward and so the rotation of the large central roller was in vain and no paper was moved.  Imagine my chagrin to learn that having localized where the breakdown was occurring, I could not fix it.  It seems that whatever tells the lift gate to rise is not happening.  I am not sure if any of this information is of help to you, but I am thinking that maybe both our printer have accumulated enough toner dust and grit to interfere with the smooth running of the paper transport system.  I will keep working on this and post results here.  Any information that you have would b e greatly appreciated.  Happy New Year!

4 Posts

January 7th, 2010 11:00

I removed the rear door & the vertical paper movement assy & observed the picking movement. When the selinoid pulls in, it releases the cam shaft that lifts &aligns the paper with the rubber picker rollers. The shaft continues to rotate & the eccentic picker pulls the paper between the rubber rollers. My rollers were really worn & distorted. Those rubber rollers are not sold as separate items so I had to purchase a new Multipurpose Feeder Assy which contains them for $70. It's a bear to remove it, but that fixed my problem. I think I'm good for another 200K sheets.

1.7K Posts

January 7th, 2010 12:00

Did you get this fixed yet?

If not, let me know and I can fix you up with the instructions to Remove, Refurbish, and Replace the MPF assembly. Not real hard, but a little time consuming. BTW, don't ever lubricate this beast. It might work real good for a while, but will get rapidly worse as toner and paper dust mix with the "lube".

January 8th, 2010 07:00

Unfortunately, I have not fixed the ailing printer yet.  I would be most grateful for info on refurbishing the MPF assembly.  Should I send you my email address?

Brian Walsh

1.7K Posts

January 8th, 2010 07:00

Just sent you a PM......

1.7K Posts

January 8th, 2010 08:00

"tankj2"...... It was not sent to you...... it was sent to "Shelton Retiree"

Just an FYI...... everyone who's participated in the thread is copied on any posting "updates/replies".

4 Posts

January 8th, 2010 08:00

Sorry, cannot find a PM in my box - how can I view it?

February 15th, 2010 15:00

Hello there llynster.  Hope you are enjoying this Presidents' Day.  I followed your advice and removed the MPF and cleaned it.  It may have been disassembled once before, because there was some light grease on the rear paper tray metal shafts.  Even with the lubricant present, the tray continued to bind up on the posts.  I cleaned the posts and the tray of all lubricant, and the tray continued to bind.  I also noticed that there were wear spots in the paths of the two cams that lower the tray.  I applied a thin layer of low temp grease to the posts and daubbed a little on the cam wear spots.  I reinstalled the MPF and the rest of the printer and tried it out.  Success!  The small amount of lube decreased the friction sufficiently, allowing the drive motor to move the paper tray through its paces.  Two questions:  Are the posts lubed at the time of manufacture, and if so, what type of lube is used?

Thanks for helping me out on this.  I am the newsletter for a retiree group here and I was not looking forward to using a 2' section of curtain rod with a rubber tip to complete the main paper roller's rotation 1400 times.

Brian Walsh

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 20th, 2010 09:00

Brian Walsh,

Maybe another nice member can help you out. Our dear friend llynster has retired from the printers fourm.

Rick

1 Message

February 23rd, 2010 11:00

I am having this same problem, I can get my printer to print one sheet when I move the paper feeder thing with my finger, but then it makes that awful noise again, and says there is a jam, open reg cover, load paper further into MPF.

I have tried to lubricate the mechanism to no avail, any one have any other suggestions? or how do I take this mammouth apart?

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 11:00

Unfortunately there is no easy way to examine this picker area other than removing all the surrounding covers to expose the rear & remove the vertical paper movement aasy. You will probably notice worn of distorted rubber components. I could not find these individual  parts & had to order the complete Feeder assy, which  required further removal of parts. It's alot of work, but it works like new again.

1 Message

March 1st, 2010 12:00

Could someone tell me how to take apart this thing, I have the sides off and not sure where to go from here.  What I think is happening is that part that moves the paper up to the roller is not moving.  If anyone can help me with this your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 Posts

March 6th, 2010 10:00

A great HELLO,

I think my problem is the same.

Error: 075-134

All is ok but when start the printer after 5-6 seconds and some rumors.. GNGNGNGNGN... into display i read error 075-134...

is possible to resolve this problem with a kick rear the 300cn... karate, judo...???

Please give me an help...

P.S.: sorry for my english... my theacher is bono vox.

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 07:00

Hello all,

I too have a Dell 3000cn which has now developed the mysterious paper jam message. I've been reading as many threads as possible on this forum on this subject and have also learned that the Llynster has now(unfortunately fo me!) retired from the printer forum.:emotion-9:   

So I'm just wondering if someone would be able to PM me with the details and instructions to work on the teardown/rebuild of the MPF paper assy, which he has so kindly shared amongst all those who have had the same problem as myself. :emotion-55:

I too have taken a look at the very unimpressive manual which dell provide for this printer, which mentions nothing about this particular issue which seems to be quite common amongst this model.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated in solving this. I am a competant mechanic and don't envisage great difficulty, but would really like to see what Llynster gave as instructions before I go tearing it down.

Many thanks to all!

Tony :emotion-2:

2 Posts

December 14th, 2010 08:00

Hello,

I have been following your posts regarding the Dell 3000CN paper jam problems and I was wondering if you are still available for help. Here is where I am so far:

Will not print and we receive Paper Jam open Reg error

When we try to print here a grinding noise.

The paper does not appear to be feeding.

Also the paper level does not appear to be at the level of the feeder roller in the paper tray.

I took apart the vertical assembly and put back together to check gear function. No apparent problems or excessive grit.

I have not changed any other parts.

Thank you for your help.

Tony

No Events found!