Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2008 21:00

3115CN What is the difference between Power Saver Mode1 and Mode2?

I have a Dell 3115CN Printer.  However, there is no explanation in the manuals or online as to how the power saver features work or the differences between the two modes.  Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

BMCTravis,

I found this in the 3115cn manual.

Use the System Settings menu to configure the basic printer settings.

NOTE: Values marked by an asterisk (*) are the factory default menu settings.

Power Saver Mode2

Purpose:

To enable Power Saver Mode2.

Values:

Enable*
Enables Power Saver Mode2.
Disable
Disables Power Saver Mode2.

Power Saver Timer

Purpose:

To specify the amount of time the multifunction printer waits after a job is submitted before it goes into the power saver mode.

Values:

Mode1     
5-60 min
Specifies the amount of time before the multifunction printer enters power saver mode after it finishes a job.
5 min*
Mode2
1-6 min
6 min*

Enter 5 to put the multifunction printer in power saver mode five minutes after it finishes a job. This uses much less energy, but requires more warm-up time for the multifunction printer. Enter 5 if your multifunction printer shares an electrical circuit with room lighting and you notice lights flickering.

Select a high value if your multifunction printer is in constant use. Under most circumstances, this keeps the multifunction printer ready to operate with minimum warm-up time. Select a value between 5 and 60 minutes for power save mode if you want a balance between energy consumption and a shorter warm-up period.

The multifunction printer automatically returns to the standby mode from the power saver mode when it receives data from the computer or remote fax machine. You can also return the multifunction printer to the standby mode by pressing any button on the operator panel.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

BMCTravis,

I found this in the 3115cn manual.

Use the System Settings menu to configure the basic printer settings.

NOTE: Values marked by an asterisk (*) are the factory default menu settings.

Power Saver Mode2

Purpose:

To enable Power Saver Mode2.

Values:

Enable*
Enables Power Saver Mode2.
Disable
Disables Power Saver Mode2.

Power Saver Timer

Purpose:

To specify the amount of time the multifunction printer waits after a job is submitted before it goes into the power saver mode.

Values:

Mode1    
5-60 min
Specifies the amount of time before the multifunction printer enters power saver mode after it finishes a job.
5 min*
Mode2
1-6 min
6 min*

Enter 5 to put the multifunction printer in power saver mode five minutes after it finishes a job. This uses much less energy, but requires more warm-up time for the multifunction printer. Enter 5 if your multifunction printer shares an electrical circuit with room lighting and you notice lights flickering.

Select a high value if your multifunction printer is in constant use. Under most circumstances, this keeps the multifunction printer ready to operate with minimum warm-up time. Select a value between 5 and 60 minutes for power save mode if you want a balance between energy consumption and a shorter warm-up period.

The multifunction printer automatically returns to the standby mode from the power saver mode when it receives data from the computer or remote fax machine. You can also return the multifunction printer to the standby mode by pressing any button on the operator panel.

Rick

2 Posts

December 13th, 2008 22:00

I understand what the power saver on any other product does.  Why have two modes?  What is the difference?  Why enable Mode2?  Why would I want to enable/disable mode2.  Is mode2 more efficient/ less efficient than mode1? 

10 Posts

January 14th, 2009 11:00

Well, that's an absolutely accurate and totally unhelpful answer.  The questions was - "What is the difference between the two modes???"

10 Posts

January 14th, 2009 12:00

I do not know the difference between Power Saver Modes 1 and 2 myself, for sure, but I think this may be it. 

Power Saver 1 is the means to put the entire machine (i.e., the printer function as well as the copy/scan/fax lamp) into reduced power standby mode (i.e., hot elements are not powered).  Power Saver Mode 2 is the means to automatically turn off the lamp under the document glass (i.e., the lamp used for copying, scanning and faxing).   Thus, you can have the lamp turn off sooner if you are not doing a lot of copying, scanning or faxing and are using the machine primarily to print.  The heated drum for printing (or however a laser printer works) stays activated while the lamp above can rest.

That's my guess.  If someone has a better answer, please let us know.

No Events found!