Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2007 14:00

5100cn MPF Tray

Hi,

I am having trouble printing anything to the MDF tray on a 5100cn color laser printer.  I know other people out there have had this problem - but i haven't really found a solution yet.

I have tried multiple things to get it to print an envelope or even a regular sheet of paper from the MDF tray but all it does so far is either ignore the MDF and pull from the regular tray or else flash a message on the printer display saying to insert the size paper in the tray that is already inserted.

The last one is by far the most comical - it says "Insert A4 paper" and so i do, then it proceeds to tell me it is not A4 paper....

Please dont tell me that i have to change both a setting on the pc and the control panel of the printer before i can print to the MDF - that is counter productive and way to confusing for the common user (read: the teachers at this school)

174 Posts

January 11th, 2007 01:00

I have never found a way to automatically print by inserting paper into the MPF,but I use it (MPF) all the time for labels. When I get ready to print, I load the MPF and then go file print and select printer properties. I then change the paper source to MPF and I'm off to the races. The MPF will remain the active paper source until I close the program. It then reverts to the default settings. I never use the frt panel for setting paper size. I allow the program to do that.

As far as envelopes go..This and most Color Lasers with a complicated paper paths don't do envelopes well. They wrinkle the heck out of them. Myself I use a old laserjet 4 with a envelope feeder for my envelopes.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's how I do it...

Ray Cooper

78 Posts

January 11th, 2007 06:00

The printer will not automatically detect that there is paper in the MPF yopu have to tell it via the driver. You also need to set the paper size up thats in the MPF in the driver, application and on the printer.

I am assuming you know how to do it on the driver / application going with your last comment.

As for the printer you need to go through the menu to the tray settings option and make sure the mpf paper size is set to A4 and the paper type is set to plain 1.

Sorry there is not automatic way to print to it.

4 Posts

January 11th, 2007 12:00

is this a feature that will eventually be added to the Dell laser printers?

because i have used plenty of other brands that didnt have this problem - i'm fine with just changing it to MPF in the printer properties - but i have tried that and it still refuses to take the paper

couldn't they just come out with a firmware update that fixes this?

im not trying to bash dell printers but i shouldn't have to jump through 3 hoops to get it to print from the mdf tray..
No Events found!