Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2010 09:00

720 not recognized on computer

I am trying to hook up a 720 to the 3300 print server and I do not have the original disc so I downloaded the driver from dell and when I go to install it tries to scan for the printer and does not find it.  How do I install the network option on the print driver?

Dell 720 printer

I can get to the wireless print server on my network and see it.  

I am running a Lynksys wireless router.

3 Posts

Sorry I am installing on a desktop running XP.

When I install the print driver it does not give me the network option is just tries to search for the printer locally.  Of course it does not find it.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

phillz,

We'll need to start with your wireless router.

How to login to your wireless router

We want to update the firmware in the wireless router. This can be done at Linksys website.

Broadcast SSID(I'd change this to make connecting easier)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal)     Password at least 12 characters long.

Use mixed mode.

Use channel 11.

Do NOT use Mac Address filetring.

Save and exit. Power off your ISP Modem/router and the Linksys router. Wait 30 seconds, then turn on the ISP Modem/router. Wait 30 seconds, then turn on the Linksys router.

Restart your computer. Now try to connect to your new network.

Setting up the 3300 is next. This should be easy.If you don't have the disk, the setup utility is located at the link below.

Setting up the Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300 Open the setup utility. It will prompt you to connect the 3300 with the USB Cable. It will ask for network, type of security(maybe not) and password. Follow the instructions.

As for installing the printer drivers, since I don't have the make and model of your computer and operating system, this is basic. Download the proper drivers from...

720 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Install only the drivers that you need for that computer, choose network, click add and select that the printer is connected to a wireless print server. If you have a desktop, you do the same as the desktop will send the signal to the wireless router and then to the printer.

Have any problems, feel free to ask. It's a lot to absorb in a short period, but well worth it after it's setup.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 9th, 2010 14:00

phillz,

Sorry for the delay. Was checking with my sources. It seems that the printer will not install on the network. Since the drivers do not have network installation, that makes it sound like it will not work. But I know people have used printers using a wireless print server but unsure how.

Just thinking to myself of something that might work. You might have to connect the printer to the computer and install the drivers first, then connect the USB Cable. Then try what I have listed below. Not sure if it will work or not.

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name.

Type in the  \\ipaddress\printername

Rick

No Events found!