Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2011 11:00

944 usb port communication not available. Message says "Check your firewall settings to ensure printer communication is not blocked

Printer has operated faithfully until problems began with XP Home operating system. To cut  a long story short ram upgraded to 2Gb, all unnecessary programmes deteted and Microsoft technician contacted to solve problems.  I was advised problems were caused by 3rd party software conflicts. Kaspersky was apparently the culpit. Dell Inspiron 32 now much quicker thanks to MS Technician  but printer will not work no matter what I do. I have uninstalled & reinstalled drivers from web site. Dell drivers & utilities CD would not load? Can you help?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 06:00

nicholsds,

Try...

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

If you recently installed the operating system, did you install the desktop/notebook system utility and the chipset drivers first? If  not, the rest of the drivers will fail  to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

3 Posts

October 24th, 2011 06:00

I'm afraid there is no change. Downloaded & installed drivers as suggested although some were not listed e.g. PCMCIA & Itel storage. There's no fault on the CD/DVD drive. Rather than use the 944 drivers & utilities CD I downloaded the drivers from the web site. All ok until 944 Installation window appears which requests choose one of two options. So "Click personal installation". No prompts follow so drivers not being installed. Can you advise what programme is missing?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 24th, 2011 12:00

nicholsds,

First read...

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista
Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 944 All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

What virus program do you have installed? The virus program and firewall will block communications.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2011 10:00

nicholsds,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thaks for posting back. Usually, when you install something online, Windows will look for an updated driver for the system

Take care,

Rick

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2011 10:00

Thanks for the advice which helped a lot although to be honest I'm not sure what in the end fixed the problem. Cleared out drivers & started from scratch. Turned off the firewall. The dell drivers & utilites CD just didnt want to know so left in drive while I downloaded drivers from the dell web site. Got a message "drivers out of date" so downloaded file. It worked although same drivers downloaded several times before?

Much appreciated your support

No Events found!