Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2010 15:00

962 scanner does not work

I had a computer that everything on the 962 worked fine on and in trying it on my Dell laptop the copier and printer work, but the scanner does not.  I have uninstalled, unplugged, re-installed, stood on my head and nothing has worked.  I do get an error for the scan driver when installing the disk that came with the printer for the drivers.  I have downloaded the firmware to install, but get an error when trying to install at about 18% complete that says to check if the device is on and the cables connected and to try again.  I have of course tried all that. 

Help please.

Thanks

10 Posts

April 7th, 2010 16:00

It is a Dell Vostro 1700 running Vista.  I am connecting using the USB chord that came with the printer.

thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Szak33,

Make and model or your computer and operating system helpful.

How you're trying to connect the Dell 962 printere to your computer also helpful.

Rick

10 Posts

I have tried this patch...i am able to download it and save it to my desktop and when i try run it says that r166312.zip is is not a valid Win32 application.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Szak33,

Disconnect the printer. Download the run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. The install the proper Vista drivers. Start, control panel, system. Make sure if it's 32-bit or 64-bit. You'll get a message the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

More information for the patch and drivers can be found at...

962 All-In-One Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Let me know what happens.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Szak33,

I hope you used Internet Explorer to download the drivers in your browser. How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Try uninstalling the printer, then restart your computer. make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Then try installing the proper drivers.

Rick

10 Posts

April 7th, 2010 17:00

I did use the dell download manager.  Where do i choose to "download using my browser" in the downloads and drivers link?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 7th, 2010 18:00

Szak33,

You need to follow the instructions below. Make sure Internet Explorer is closed when you do this. Then after you delete the cokkies and cache, the next time you click on the download button, you'll get the popup, then select, download in my browser.

Rick

To use the Dell download manager you must have the Windows .net framework installed (use Windows update).  Though it's not made clear by Dell, you DO NOT need the manager. 

Go into your browser settings and delete all Dell cookies (or clear all your browser cache).  Then go back to Drivers & Downloads and choose "download using my browser" when you select the file for download.  You will then not need the Dell download manager at all.

Downloading drivers from Dell seems to work best with Internet Explorer.

If you cannot locate the cache and cookies, the try using CCleaner to clear them.

10 Posts

April 7th, 2010 18:00

still get all the same errors.  I got rid of the dell download manager, but when i click on the download button again for the firmware it just takes me to the install dell download manager and there is no option to download using my browser.

10 Posts

April 7th, 2010 19:00

even that still tells me that it is not a valid win32 application

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 7th, 2010 19:00

Szak33,

I hate when that happens. CLICK HERE for the removal patch

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 7th, 2010 20:00

Szak33,

Make sure you have all the Windows Updates, especially .net framework and the latest Java. Download Latest Java

If that doens't work, then just run the uninstaller, start, control panel, programs and features or start, all programs, dell, dell printer, your printer, uninstall. Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Keep the file and try after you have the windows updates and java.

Rick

10 Posts

April 8th, 2010 19:00

I was able to get the patch download to work and I now have the dell all in one center, but the scanner still does not seem to work.  It prints, copies and scans for faxe, but it does not scan on the ADF or glass.  Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2010 20:00

szak33,

What are you trying to scan? You don'tmean copy a document?

Can you copy a document when you put it under the glass? B&W and Color?

Did you install te OCR Program?

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

or

Simple OCR

Also try reading....

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

10 Posts

April 9th, 2010 07:00

I am jsut scanning documents.  Copier and printer work fine...the color ink is empty so i just want black and white and have it set for that.  I have also installed abbey.  Is that just another platform for scanning?

When I copy through the ADF it copies fine, but when I try scan to file through the ADF it does nothing even thought the panel says "scanning to file" same applies when it is sitting on the glass.

10 Posts

April 9th, 2010 07:00

also, when i try to select a scanner in abbyy it tells me that the "scanning driver not ready"

No Events found!