Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2014 21:00

964 All-in-one work on windows 8.1?

Is it going to be possible to use my 964 all-in-one printer with my new computer with windows 8.1?  Anything I can configure to make this work? 

thanks in advance to any replies.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2014 14:00

fanelligal,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 8.1 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 8.1 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at...

Dell 964 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications. If you did not install any, then Windows Defender will be the default. Try reading...

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials/Windows Defender

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 6th, 2016 13:00

AZFIREBALL,

If you press and hold the Windows key, then hit the letter x key, it will bring up a menu.

You can also right click on start.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 7th, 2016 03:00

AZFIREBALL,

Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.

You'll see...

Rick

2 Posts

November 5th, 2014 13:00

thank you.  Everything is working great even the scanning. 

I love my printer. 

I didn't mention but it was a brand new computer so I didn't have any previous printers installed. 

Live is good...........Fanelligal.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 6th, 2014 03:00

fanelligal,

Glad you got it working! Thanks for posting back. Some people attach the printer before asking and sometimes the generic drivers get installed, then the printer does not print.

Take care,

Rick

10 Posts

February 27th, 2015 05:00

Yes it works but only when i use the windows 8.1 default dialog box. If, for example i want to change the print options to draft and I then choose the option to "print using system dialog" (ctrl+shift+p) the dell dialog box options opens but if i make any changes the box freezes and remains on the screen, it becomes impossible to minimise, cancel or close the operation and the process is not evident in task manager. so the only way to resolve the problem is to restart the PC. Please help me find a way around this!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 1st, 2015 00:00

timaltmann,

Reinstall the printer using the instructions below and see if the problem happens. If it still happens, then post back exactly what is happening.

Disconnect the printer.

Start, control panel, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

1 Message

June 27th, 2015 00:00

I am attempting to install AIO 964 but to no avail. I have Dell 7 & HP 8.1. I have read your instructions but I am still unable to install. Sadly I will admit I am not tech savvy. The printer has never been installed on either computers. I thought I downloaded Vista on 8.1 but when I right click on Properties, I do not have a Compatibility nor Admin. I did not see 64 bit either. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? I'm new to this site and struggling to get this installed. Thank you for your assistance!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 29th, 2015 06:00

Travel Girl,

The 64-bit drivers can be found in the owners thread.

Disconnect the printer.

Start, control panel, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Rick

10 Posts

September 21st, 2015 03:00

Yes I have followed your instructions to the letter but the problem persists.

If I choose to print an item (word doc, web page etc.) from the default printing options which come up in windows when choosing file > print then any changes I make to my printing options i.e. colour dpi etc. are not registered and the output remains the same as that which is specified at that time in control panel >hardware and sound>devices and printers> dell photo AIO printer 964 > adjust print Options.

If from the default print options when I choose file>print I then opt to "print using system dialogue" the Dell Photo AIO Printer 964 Printing Preferences dialogue box pops up, however if I then try and make any changes in that dialogue i.e. change from draft to normal or uncheck "print in black and white" then the whole thing hangs and freezes. At this point the only way to resolve the freeze is to use task manager to close the entire application from which I am trying to print e.g. Word, Chrome etc.

Therefore if I want to change the existing settings before a print job I need to go through the rigmarole of drilling down through  control panel >hardware and sound>devices and printers> dell photo AIO printer 964 > adjust print options BEFORE I press print. Failure to do this and attempting to make changes to the print options using system dialogue after pressing print causes the hang which I described above.

This happened in windows 8.1 and exactly the same problem persists after upgrade to Windows 10.

I hope this makes sense, do you have any suggestions? 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 15:00

timaltmann,

From the Announcement at the top of the page, Windows 10 Compatibility with Dell Printers

Dell suggests...

Installing Older Windows Printer Drivers in Windows 10

Try this procedure and see if the printer installs.

Disconnect the printer.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode you’ll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time (powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at…

Rick

1 Message

February 3rd, 2016 14:00

I have tried these fixes and to no avail. I managed to get my dell 964 printer going once about 3 months ago and then another day when I try it again it's not communicating again.

Can Dell just not simply issue a driver that works with 8.1 and windows 10 and less of the half baked sticky plaster fixes with compatability mode on windows vista drivers.

bottom line is I have a Dell i7 windows 8.1 laptop and dell 964 printer and despite messing around with the various fixes listed above the devices don't work together , that's simply unacceptable.

Dell kindly provide a native, simple , robust solution please or forget this customers repeat business.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 4th, 2016 09:00

Horgand,

Your older Dell printer was made for Dell by Lexmark. Lexmark got out of the printer business, except for making ink cartridges. You will not see any new drivers released for the Dell 964 Printer.

If the procedure below does not work, then you'll need to find a printer that is compatible with your operating system(s).

From the Announcement at the top of the page, Windows 10 Compatibility with Dell Printers

Dell suggests...

Installing Older Windows Printer Drivers in Windows 10

Try this procedure and see if the printer installs.

Disconnect the printer.

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode you’ll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time (powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at…

Rick

10 Posts

February 6th, 2016 06:00

Rockstar:

I have seen the following instruction given several times on here.

“Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.”

Can you explain exactly what is indicated by the x in the above statement?

Do you mean the letter x key, or something else?  Why is the word ‘keys’ plural? Is there more than one?

Thanks!

10 Posts

February 6th, 2016 14:00

Does that happen only in Win 7 and above?

I am sill using XP (XP works OK for me!)

Thanks!

No Events found!