Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2012 15:00

966 AIO 1203 Error Message

I visited the Dell support website, found some procedures to try and fix the 1203 error message and nothing worked. Two days ago I did some research and it appears this problem goes back to at least the year 2010. FYI...I have had this printer [purchased new from Dell] since August 2007. Right now the only thing the printer will do is allow me to scan documents and save the images to a file/folder on my desktop. There is virtually no print function at this time.

The other strange observation...both ink cartridges show up with a ? in each cart [as seen on the printer maintenance webpage/utility]. If you need to contact me with a PM that will be fine. Also note that Dell wants me to pay a "fee" to get technical support via email or on the telephone. As a loyal Dell customer I should NOT have to pay a fee for their products if they can tell me how I can fix the problem. Especially when I have 5 Dell products in this household. Yes, the 966 AIO printer is no longer under a warranty. Worse case scenario....I dump the printer after 5 years with no issues [except it eats way too much ink] and buy a different brand/mfg'er!!

I have an account with Dell, my next payment is due January the 5tht.....I wonder if I threaten to withhold payment on the bill...would that get their attention? Apparently this 1203 error is a known issue and they [Dell] should have a solution that the consumer can fix.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 26th, 2012 15:00

dinky455,

Error 1203 is a very interesting error code. Here is what I found out about error 1203

Error 1203 is a very interesting cartridge error. It means your catridges overflow even from brand new catridges after a several prints or right after you refilled the catridges. Check to see if ink are smeared on the holder where the contact panel with the cartridge

Solution:
I use the lint free cloth(coffee filter work great) with a few drops of water to dampen and clean off those contact on the holder and my printer work again.
Then before you print anything, you should run aligned the catridges a couple times then run clean catridges a couple times.
Print the test page to see how it's look and way you go.
Be sure not to leave any debris of lint free cloth(coffee filter work great on those holder contact panel.

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

Rick

4 Posts

December 26th, 2012 16:00

I am not using "refilled" ink cartridges. The recent color cartridge was purchased directly from Dell just two weeks ago. Let me check my order history. Worse case...I can contact them [ordering department] and ask them to replace the color cartridge. Gotta run to the store. Will check the forum a bit later thus evening for any additional postings.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Doug Fitts,

Contact Dell and tell them in the ordering department, phone number should be on the purchase order, that the Dell Series 7 ink cartridges are giving the error code 1203 and they will send you replacements.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Doug Fitts,

If you recently purchased the cartridges, take them to the place of purchase for a replacement Dell Series 7 ink cartridge. The error code is coming from the ink cartridge. It can come from a new cartridge but most of the time comes from refilled cartridges.

Rick

4 Posts

Earlier today I tried to clean each cartridge and it did not make a difference. Lets see if there are any additional suggestions from the forum. Thanks nonetheless for your suggestion amigo. Worse case......I purchase another printer. In the meantime let me go to the BBB to see what kinds of complaints Dell has received in the past year or so. It will tell me a lot about their customer support operations.

4 Posts

December 26th, 2012 19:00

After spending over 45+ minutes talking with a "live" person, I was transferred three times [3X] to three different "tech support" personnel....all in India [ what I call Punjab country] and still, they could not tell me what I should do. The end result folks.....they [Dell reps] agreed to replace the two 966 ink cartridges that I purchased back in September and recently in November.

Maybe....keyword....maybe the new cartridges will resolve the 1203 error problem [I cannot print anything] and this whole mess goes away.....until the next event! A way to end, round out the 2012 year isn't it? Yes, we all have come a very long way in computer technology but why I ask....why outsource tech support when we have some of the best engineers right here in the United States?

I will send in a post after I receive the new cartridges, put them in and see if......keyword.....if the printer will actually work. Wish me luck!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 26th, 2012 21:00

Doug Fitts,

Keep me posted. To reset any error messages the printer is getting, unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds.

Rick

No Events found!