Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2012 12:00

966 Will Not Install

I moved my 966 to a Vista 64-bit machine and have tried to install it.  I get to the point where it asks me to plug in the USB cable, but the computer will not recognize the printer.  I've restarted the computer.  I've plugged the USB cable into a known good USB port.  I've swapped the USB cables.  I've restarted the 966.  Nothing works.  No Dell printer has been installed on this machine before, so there are no old Dell files.  How do I get the computer to recognize the printer?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 11th, 2012 18:00

Hi

Uninstalling and re-installing the drivers in the prescribed manner and starting the services necessary for the scanning application could resolve the problem.

Follow the below steps to reinstall the printer drivers in prescribed manner.

Please disconnect the USB cable that runs from the printer to the computer and uninstall the printer driver by using uninstaller software. Here is a link to download one.

http://revouninstallerpro.com/

Install the software and uninstall the printer driver using the Advanced Uninstall option from the software. It is third party uninstaller software used to uninstall the drivers/programs from the computer.

The software prompts asking you to delete the Registry keys corresponding to the printer driver. Select all and delete them. Restart the computer to remove any traces of the printer software.

Perform the steps below and ensure that the services required for the printer to work are started.

1)     Press the “Windows + R” to launch the run window.

2)     Type “Services.msc” in the run window and hit the Enter key.

Right click each service mentioned below, click properties. Set the startup type as “Automatic” from the drop down menu and click “Start”. Please click “Apply” to save the changes.

The services to be enabled are:

• Human Interface Devices (HID).
  • Printer Spooler.
  • RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
  • RPC Locator (Remote Procedure Call Locator).
  • Windows image acquisition (WIA).
  • Windows Installer.

Insert the printer driver’s cd for A966 and install the drivers in the computer.

If you do not have a cd use the following steps to download the printer drivers.

Download the printer driver from the link below.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/dell-966w

NOTE: Please do not connect the printer using the USB cable to the computer prior to installing the drivers.

Please copy the above mentioned link, paste it in the address bar of the new internet explorer window.

1)     Select the operating system of your computer from the list.

2)     Save the file to the desktop.

3)     Double-Click on the downloaded file.

4)     Click “Yes”, when the utility prompts to extract the files.

5)     Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

6)     Connect the printer using the USB cable when prompted.

7)     Try to print.

Please reply for further help.

38 Posts

December 12th, 2012 05:00

That did not work.  Same problem.  Oh, yes, I've tried 3 different USB cables and 3 different USB ports, including one which had been connected to the mouse.

Now what do I try?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 12th, 2012 20:00

Hi Erie910,

We can check in Device Manager if the printer is detected under “Imaging Devices” or “Other Devices” when the printer is switched on and connected with a USB cable.

Steps to navigate to Device Manager:

1. Click “Start”, type “Device Manager” and press Enter.
  2. Double click “Imaging Devices” or “Other Devices” and check if the printer is listed.

Please post the results.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 12th, 2012 21:00

Erie910,

Make and model of your Vista 64-bit machine and opertaing system. 64-bit

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system?

How are you trying to connect the Dell 966 printer, usb cable or wireless adapter?

What virus porogram and firewall are you using?

Rick

38 Posts

December 13th, 2012 20:00

The 966 does not show up in Device Manager at all.

38 Posts

Forgot an answer--the OS is as originally installed when the computer was purchased.

38 Posts

The machine is an HP Pavilion dv7.

OS is Windows Vista 64-bit

I'm trying to connect via USB cable.

I use Moon Secure antivirus and Windows firewall.

The printer ran fairly well when I had it installed on a Windows 7 machine running Moon Secure AV.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

December 13th, 2012 21:00

Hi Erie910,

As the printer is not detected in device manager, the problem could be with the USB port on the printer. To confirm this, we can try connecting the printer to another computer if available.

Kindly let me know if this would be possible.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 14th, 2012 02:00

Erie910,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the proper Vista drivers. Install the drivers, you'll get a message, then printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communiications.

Rick

38 Posts

December 14th, 2012 20:00

The printer worked fine when attached to a Windows 7 machine.  I have tried the 3 different USB ports on the Vista machine.  All 3 ports work with flash drives and a wireless mouse receiver, so the USB ports are good.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 16th, 2012 14:00

Erie910,

Sorry for the delay, just got home from a trip, then work.

New instructions with a procedure added...

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Download the proper Vista drivers. Install the drivers, you'll get a message, then printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communiications.

Rick

38 Posts

December 16th, 2012 19:00

I downloaded the clean-up utility and let it run for about 1/2 hour.  It still says, "Please wait."  However, since there never was a Dell driver installed on the computer, I doubt that the cleanup utility will find anything to clean up.

As respects deleting anything in the USB controller section of Device Manager, I am unable to do it.  When I click on Uninstall, the computer refreshes the list in Device Manager, and the uninstalled item pops right back up again.  After trying to uninstall each item, I am prompted to restart.  I'm not sure that my uninstalls are even effective.

Perhaps I should try a different printer.  For some reason, anytime that I try to install a Dell printer, I have nothing but trouble.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 17th, 2012 16:00

Erie910,

Restart the computer and just make sure the p[rinter was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

If you started at the bottom and did not have any usb attached devices, removing them and then when they reinstall, it corrects the problem.

Try installing the printer, then see what happens.

Also try different usb ports

Rick

No Events found!