Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2009 20:00

966 repeated paper jams at rear door & much ink spilled on roller!

I have tried to print out photos using a photo-ink cartridge on HP photo paper but 80% or more of the sheets wrap around the roller but get stuck on something above that and the printer runs the print on ???.  I have two questions:

1) How can i troubleshoot the paper-jam problem?

2) How can I clean the ink off whatever it has spilled on inside?  I don't know if 'clean cartridges' did anything; I tried that.  I see splotches of ink on the back and edges of whatever comes out.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 25th, 2009 21:00

krouse,

I just replied to your other post. The manual will probably not help you much in this line. I would unplug the printer from the wall. Also remove the power brick for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages you get from the printer. Try to wipe off as much as you possibably can. I would also try shaking the printer upside down for 30 seconds and even try using a vacumn cleaner to try get the rest of the paper out.

I would open Work or Open Office and tell it to print a blank document went you have everything wiped off and hopefully you can get the most of the ink on the regular paper.

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

Black in Left, black side                          Color in right, color side

Photo cartridge in left, black side          Color in right, color side.

Rick

8 Posts

February 25th, 2009 23:00

thanks a lot... where can I open up the printer in order to wipe off the roller (etc)?

8 Posts

February 25th, 2009 23:00

I didn't have to disconnect the printer to install the drivers - I just ran the installer and it allowed my computer to see the printer (after which I used it and ran into these problems).  I later installed the firmware update--the files just unzipped into a folder, I didn't run anything.  Should I also run the patch/upgrade?  Also, what about the "utility" .. and as for the other utilty for the wireless printer adapter, is that built into every 966?  I don't see a black antenna on mine, so I would assume I don't have wireless.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2009 07:00

krouse,

The patch is like a cleanup utility and removes the printer drivers from your computer. It usually has to be run on Vista machines when they have problems. As for the wireless part, if you follow the directions in the post I gave you, it will determine if you have a wireless card installed or not.

Rick

No Events found!