Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2009 16:00

968w will not scan

I have a dell 968w that is connected to my dell inspiron 1525 laptop. (wireless)  I can print ok, but I cannot scan.  When I try to scan I receive a message that it is retrieving the scanning applications from the computer.  Then I receive a message that it could not retrieve the applications.

I was told by a Dell Tech that the scanner only works by connecting the printer to my computer using a cable.  Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 26th, 2009 18:00

cmacandrew,

Then follow the procedure below and re-install the printer. You should have better communications with these settings and yes, you can scan across the wireless network.

First make sure your computer has all the Windows updates. I have the custom ones too, especially the new framework(Needed to run many applications). Also make sure to have the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. 

Un-install your printer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

I recommend using these  Recommended Wireless Router Settings to get everything to communicate correctly. I have DHCP enabled on my wireless router. I assigned my printer an ip address at the high end of my ip address. (Example: my printer ip address is 192.168.1.149) All the other computer get assigned an ip address automatically. 

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

30 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 03:00

Dear Rick,

Thanks for all the great posts. I have a similar problem: My 968W only scans successfully when my computer first boots up. If we use any other application before scanning, the 968 can't read the scanning apps on the computer. I can reboot and scan, no problem, but if I'm doing something and then need to scan, no-go.

I've tried all of the driver, Java and setting changes you recommend, but this keeps happening. The only changes I can't make is on the router. But since this seems to be a computer problem, I'm not sure router settings will matter.

I'm running XP Professional with all Service Packs installed on a Latitude E6500.

Other suggestions?

Dan

No Events found!