Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2008 16:00

A940 All-In-One Center

I recently had to re-format my HDD, and loaded winXP from scratch.  I have lost the original CD that came w/ my A940 printer, and thus downloaded the ~24MB driver file from dell site.

The printer now works fine - but I cannot find the All in One Center as an app - nor does hitting the "scan" button on printer automatically call it up either.

Is there a seperate binary that I need to download to get this app functional again?

Thanks

Brent

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 10th, 2008 17:00

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers 

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the A940 Printer 

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

1 Message

November 16th, 2008 18:00

how long is the cleanup utility supposed to take?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 16th, 2008 19:00

My guess around 5 minutes, give or take, but I know it's NOT long.

Rick

1 Message

November 17th, 2008 10:00

I am trying to get my A924 all in one to work.  I did the steps above and when I was in the setup stage, it told me to connect all plugs to printer, power and usb.  The computer makes the ding dong sound it makes when you plug in a usb item.  but it won't let me click next on the setup.  It doesn't highlight it so I can click it.

My printer works, cause I can print a document...but since I have gotten a new computer with vista my all in one center can't be found.

Please hellp

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 17th, 2008 13:00

Please make a new post. Please include the information asked for below.

Thanks,

Rick

1 Message

November 25th, 2008 12:00

I am having the exact same problem and have done what was suggested in performing the utility clean-up, installing the correct driver and firmware, but still when I plug in my printer at the correct time, all I get is a "ding dong" and that's it. I'm about to throw my printer out the window.

Please help!

3 Posts

September 10th, 2009 21:00

I rank with the many with my A940. This is beyond frustrating and Dell needs to find a fix. My A940 will not work, but the $5.00 Lexmark LaserPrinter I got, that's 10 years old, works like a charm. I can not express the absolute frustration I have of two Dell products that will not communicate proper. Dell needs to take note of this problem, it's pervasive, and an embarrassment.

I have no problem going onto regs, if some one can show me a solution, I will try again another attempt.

Inspiron, Vista 32 bit, Dell A940 AIO. Drivers R784855, R135049, R153717, R166315.

A940 will copy, print, scan. It will not print from the Inspiron. And of course the AIO scan program will not download. I'm not certain which of the four drivers would download with it.

John

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 11th, 2009 02:00

John,

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers 

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Now install the proper Drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

3 Posts

September 11th, 2009 12:00

Rick,
I understand this problem may sound like a broken record. But I've tried your process numerous times, the results always the same. And I did exactly step by step. After each attempt my A940 (i sacn using a USB connection) is no longer recognized, whereas I have had Gimp able to atleast scan (see Gina Q below). There is no AIO Center file/icon within start menu. I'll then try the FineReader program and it shows a "can't open twain sorce:" message. Currently with your procedure, the A940 will scan and print using the manual buttons only.

I have tried downloading the DAO Installer from the disk but a "failed to register.... contact support" message shows up. I have always assumed this was the initial conflict with Vista and XP. Again, to try Setup 32 off the disk, a pop up window reads "not in English" and prompts me to select another language, which I never followed through on.

In the past I followed DELL-Gina Q process, step by step, and I can get Gimp to scan, but I can not send a file to A940 to print. This is as close as I can get to a functioning scanner, but it's not a fully functioning Dell scanner as once was. That's the frustrating part, I have spent hours deleting and downloading with little results.

I will try the DELL-Gina Q process again, at least I can scan but it's not the same to print to my Lexmark Laserprinter. I seriously believe if Dell can't resolve this they should at least offer up a replacement printer that will be compatible for the Vista.

Are we going to have the same difficulties with the new platform of Windows 7? 

Thank you for your diligence,
John

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 11th, 2009 16:00

John,

It sounds like your printer didn't install properly. I did not see what make and model of your computer and operating system. I have a few know issues with certain items.

I have had virus protections and/or security suites also cause problems with installing the printer. If I am correct, this printer was manufacturered by Lexmark for Dell. Wonder if your Laser is causing a few unknown issues.

Rick

1 Message

February 7th, 2010 11:00

I HAVE SAME PROBLEM  WHAT DO I DO

2 Posts

January 8th, 2011 13:00

I believe I followed all your steps exactly.  When I go to open the AIO Center, this is the Windows message I get:

AIOC exe has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

What do you think I might have done wrong?

Thanks,

Mark

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 8th, 2011 14:00

Mark,

Have the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and Download Latest Java?

Rick 

2 Posts

January 8th, 2011 14:00

Rick,

Yes I have done that as well. When I followed your steps and installled the A940, I was able to print a test page just fine.  I am unable to open the AIOC so that I can scan.

Thanks

Mark

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 8th, 2011 18:00

Mark,

Did you install with the rivers from Dell's website? If so, you'll need to install the OCR Program from the printer disk.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Also try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

No Events found!