Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

November 11th, 2008 20:00

AIO 926 as Shared Printer

I have used a 926 directly attached to my computer for about 15 months with new problem.  The computer runs Vista Business.

My wife's Windows XP computer is networked with mine and she wanted to be able to use the scanning functions from her computer.  I enabled sharing through my computer, installed the software, including the All in One Center, on her computer and even made sure the firewall granted the program access.

Her computer recognizes the 926 as a printer and will print a test page, but when I try to do a scan through the All in One Center, it can't connect to the 926.  What am I doing wrong?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 11th, 2008 20:00

The driver are...

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Before trying to install the printer, run this patch to completely remove the printer from the Vista computer.

Restart your computer.

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Rick

November 12th, 2008 04:00

I'm sorry, I shouldn't type at 11:30 at night.  I meant to say I am having "NO problem" on my Vista computer.  The problem is with the All in One software on the XP computer not being able to reach the shared 926 printer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 12th, 2008 11:00

Try typing at 3:30AM and see what you get. Thank goodness for spell checkers! :emotion-5:

Your computer is the Vista one connceted with the USB Cable. Your wifes in the Laptop with XP, correct?

Vista one first.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Now for the wife's computer. Run the patch to completely remove the printer from her computer.

Restart her computer.

Install the proper drivers, choose network and select the proper network choice. The Dell All-In-One Center is in the drivers package. If you have some problems after you install the drivers, then try

Printer Sharing on XP/Vista Network

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name.

Type in the \\computername\printername or \\ipaddress\printername

Rick

November 12th, 2008 16:00

Is the link to "Vista 32-bit drivers" correct?  That gives the same Clean-up Utility that "this patch" gets.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 13th, 2008 01:00

Sorry, You were right, I made a mistake.

Correct Vista 32-bit Drivers.

Please note, I have corrected the Vista 32-bit drivers in the above post.

Rick

November 13th, 2008 14:00

While the corrected link worked, I still get the same result: works fine on the Vista computer its directly connected to, but when the All in One Software on the networked XP computer tries to access it, I still get "Your scan was not successful."

I notice that the printer is listed twice on the networked computer:

Once as "Dell Photo AIO Printer 926 on DD65NBD1" printing through Virtual Printer Port USB002

Once as "Dell Photo AIO Printer 926" printing through \\dd65nbd1\\Dell Photo AIO Printer 926" 

DD65NBD1 is the name of the Vista computer.

No Events found!