Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2010 05:00

AIO 928 Printer - Does not work with Windows 7

I have two fairly new AIO 928 printers and cannot get them to work with Windows 7 on my XPS 8000 64-bit machine. I have tried everything I can think of including installing Windows Vista 64-bit drivers under compatibility mode, but nothing seems to work.

Dell support says that they have no information regarding availability of Windows 7 drivers.

Can anyone help?

Thanks 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 5th, 2010 05:00

GrahamGW,

Sorry, but I realized that I forgot to make a 928 owners thread.

Try iusing the instructions located at...

928 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread

Try installing the Vista drivers in the compatiibility mode. Windows 7 is supposed to be backward compatible.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

8 Posts

January 5th, 2010 07:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have carried out the following without and success:

1) Manually removed the drivers from my Win7, 64-bit Studio XPS 8000, as per instructions.

2) Rebooted the machine

3) Downloaded the 64-bit Vista drivers for the AIO 928 printer

4) Re-installed the drivers by running as administrator in the following compatibility modes:

Vista, Vista + service pack 1, Vista + service pack 2.

5) At each attempt a dialog box asks me to "... select the checkboxes for the options that you would like to have installed", 
     but there are no checkboxes shown.

6) The dialog box has Back, Next, Cancel boxes. I select Next and am told that I am ready to install the chosen options.

7) On clicking next I am told that the  drivers have been successfully installed and to plug in the USB cable.

8) on plugging in the cable the system tries to install drivers from Windows update - I have tried skipping this and also letting it get the drivers. Neither worked.

I am now stumped!

Regards,

Graham
=======

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 6th, 2010 01:00

Graham,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Somehow your email notification got lost in my emails and notes.

Some of these drivers are also for XP. You might want to disconnect the printer, manual printer driver removal, the restart your computer.

Try installing the drivers in the XP compatible mode. If this doesn't work, then try letting Windows Update try to install the printer. The list on Printer not compatible with Windows 7, yours is on the list, along with many others that we managed to get working with Windows 7, so it's like hit and miss. Maybe Windows Update has drivers that will work.

Microsoft Windows 7 Compatability With Dell Printers

Rick

8 Posts

January 6th, 2010 04:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried installing the drivers in XP+SP2 and XP+SP3 compatibility modes but the installation options do not show up, so the process ends. Also, I have let Windows update install drivers. Again I cannot print from WORD or Adobe reader.

I forgot to mention previously that the printer will print from notepad. This is still the case.

Regards,

Graham

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 6th, 2010 05:00

Graham,

The first time you go to print from Word and Adobe Readert, click on file, print and make sure you have the proper printer selected. For some reason these do not always have the correct p[rinter selected.

Rick

8 Posts

January 6th, 2010 05:00

Hi Rick,

I have checked that the correct printer is selected - no change.

Regards,

Graham

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 6th, 2010 06:00

Graham,

Just a huncgh, did you try using a different USB Port?

Rick

8 Posts

January 6th, 2010 08:00

Hi Rick,

I have just tried changing the printer USB port but, unfortunately, no change.

Regards,

Graham

8 Posts

January 6th, 2010 13:00

Hi Rick,

I wonder if it would be possible for you to find out and let me know when proper drivers for the AIO 928 will be released for 64-bit Windows 7?

Regards

Graham

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 6th, 2010 13:00

Graham,

The way it looks, if you cannot install the printer drivers in the compatability mode, from what I'm seeing from this thread...

Microsoft Windows 7 Compatability With Dell Printers

It doesn't look like you printer is compatible with Windows 7. You can check back but I don't think any drivers will be available. If Dell decides to eventually update the drivers, then it may take a while. The Dell Printer you have was made for Dell by Lexmark, so Lexmark would have to release drivers that are compatible for Windows 7 to Dell, first and then Dell tests them.

Rick

8 Posts

January 6th, 2010 14:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for all your help.

This outcome is very disappointing as I have two of these printers and have always purchased Dell machines at home and for my company.

Please let me know if you hear anything that may help.

Regards,

Graham

8 Posts

January 7th, 2010 06:00

Hi Rick,

Just to let you know that I can use the AIO-928 printer from my Dell XPS-M1530 laptop running 32-bit Windows 7.

Drivers used are Vista 32-bit.

However, I have to print the file from the laptop hard drive. Trying to use printer sharing does not work.

Regards

Graham

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 7th, 2010 06:00

GrahamGW,

Glad you can print to the 928 printer. I have heard many complaints about printer sharing with a Windows 7 computer involved. Still trying to find out if there's an actual solution for Printer sharing. I use a wireless print server on my Dell 964 Printer and I can print from XP, Vista 32-bit and 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, even though my printer is on the list of printers that are not compatible with Windows 7. I neven like the idea of having a host computer on for the others to print. We got rid of the desktop and now have 4 Dell laptops, all different models and operating systems and this feature works nicely.

I just found this and you might want to try this.

These instructions are for the Printer attached to the XP machine (but works in reverse as well).

("Stand alone" Network printers can be done slightly similarly BTW).

assume the computers are call XPMACHINE and W7MACHINE.

1) Ensure Printer on XP machine is shared - assume it's called SHAREDPRINTER.

2) On the Network Browsing on your Windows 7 machine ensure you can "See" the Printer share.

Now on the Windows 7 machine do the following (doesn't matter if it's X-86 or x-64).

3) Control Panel==> add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it's on a Network but hold your horses -- what we are actually doing is "Poodlefaking" the Windows 7 machine into thinking it's running the printer.

4) Create NEW port==>Local port

5) Portname is
\\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

6) Now Windows 7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the XP machine.

Simple

(For a "Network stand alone printer") at 4) chose TCPIP port
and at 5) enter the IP address.

If the printer is on the Windows 7 machine and you want to print on the XP machine then do the same instructions on the XP machine --
port name in this case will be
\\W7MACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

Rick

Rick

No Events found!