Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2009 12:00

AIO 942 - Installed Updates from Dell now won't print

Hi,

A few months ago I 'upgraded' my system from Windows XP to Vista -- everything was fine, except I noticed recently that the shortcut icon was gone from my Desktop, and even when I looked in the programs, I could no longer open the main page to scan...  Soooooooo, I went to the Downloads and Drivers page on this website and downloaded all the updates for my printer - I selected Vista as my OS.   Once I did that it started sending everything to 'One Note'!  Soooooooooo, then I went in and checked my AIO 942 as my default printer, but the issue is STILL not resolved!  The error message reads as following:  "This error can appear if a default printer has not been designated or if the application is unable to locate an existing default printer.  To correct this problem, try one of the following: ...."  I checked the suggestions, and I had just installed the latest downloads, so now I'm at a loss as to what to do.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for any help, really, I NEED to print!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 13th, 2009 12:00

Dylans_Mom,

Sounds like the drivers might not be installed correctly. Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens. Also please tell me what you'rte trying to print, from what program, so we can solve this.

Please make sure your computer has all the Windows Updates, especially .net framework, which is needed to run many applications. Also make sure you have the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer. (You may have to right click on the patch, left click run as administrator)

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

1 Message

October 16th, 2009 08:00

Dell 942 AIO will not print when connected to laptop w/ Vista . I have tried all of the steps outlined in this forum. My problems are the same as all of the others: I was able to get the printer working right out of the box through wireless home network when printer was connected to my XP PC. Then it suddenly stopped working (maybe after adding Norton Utilities?). It works when connected to XP PC but not through the wireless. DELL tech was of no help since the printer was out of warranty but the laptop was not, I went in circles explaining that the printer works-- it was my Vista (under warranty at the time) that was not working.

I want to connect the printer to my laptop w/ Vista. Is that possible? Like others in this forum, I have spent hours trying to solve this. My work around is to use a flash drive to take my work from laptio to PC. Please help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 16th, 2009 10:00

zeegirl,

Just follow the instructions above and then tell us what happens. You'll need to read THIS ARTICLE in order to get it to work.

Rick

No Events found!