Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2011 19:00

AIO 946 Fax Question

Hello,

Do I need a modem in my computer in order to fax through its software?

I thought the computer could utilize printer's modem via USB, no?

I've Windows 7 by the way.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 25th, 2011 11:00

Michael,

In the Dell 946 Manual

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

under faxing, it explaind how to fax from your computer using the Printer's modem.

Rick

17 Posts

February 25th, 2011 16:00

Thanks.  I had to re-install its software AFTER enabling Microsoft Scan and Fax in order for it to install a "fax" driver .

17 Posts

February 25th, 2011 17:00

Spoke too soon.  Windows 7 can't detect the modem at all.  When I try to fax via its software, my system complains that there's no modem.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2011 09:00

Michael,

You might have to install the Dell Fax Printer software in the Compatibility mode

As for faxing, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the Fax Folder. In the Fax Folder, right click on setup.exe and left click run as administrator. This will install the Fax program.

Or try using BVRP PhoneTools for Faxing

Rick

17 Posts

February 26th, 2011 10:00

Re-installing its software in compatibility mode still didn't install "Fax Dell AIO 946".  BVRP did install a "Fax Capture" driver; however, it also doesn't detect printer's modem.

I'm supposed to be able to fax from an USB-connected computer without a separate modem in that computer, right?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 27th, 2011 09:00

Michael,

I am taking this from the manual. The only time I faxed from my Dell 964 Printer, I used the printer directly.

Sending a Fax From the Computer

Send faxes from computer files through the printer modem or the computer modem. Any file that can be printed can be faxed.

Connecting Cables

If you want to fax through the printer modem, connect an active telephone line to the FAX connector (  — left side connector) on the printer.

If you want to fax through the computer modem, connect an active telephone line to the LINE connector (  — left side connector) on the computer's fax modem.

Faxing Through the Printer Modem

Sending a Fax Using the Dell All-In-One Center

1. Turn on your printer and computer, and make sure they are connected.
  2. Load your original document.
  3. Click Start ®  Programs or All Programs®  Dell Printers®  Dell AIO Printer 946.
  4. Select Dell All-In-One Center.

The Dell All-In-One Center opens.

1. Click the Fax Now button.
  2. Follow the instructions on the screen to send your fax.

Sending Fax Using Dell Printer Fax Tools

Using the Dell Printer Fax Tools allows you the flexibility of faxing any document you are capable of printing.

1. With your document open, click File®  Print.

The Print dialog box opens.

1. In the printer list, select Dell Printer Fax Tools.
  2. Click OK or Print, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Installing Fax Console in Windows XP

1. Click Start®  Settings®  Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.

The Add or Remove Programs dialog box opens.

1. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    2. In the Components list, click to select the Fax Services box.
    3. Click Next.
    NOTE: You may be prompted to insert the Windows installation CD to finish installing this component.
    1. Click Finish.
    2. In the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, click Close.

Configuring Fax Console (Windows XP) or Fax Service Management (Windows 2000)

1. Click Start®  Programs or All Programs®  Accessories®  Communications®  Fax®  Fax Console (Windows XP) or Fax Service Management (Windows 2000).
    2. On the Welcome to Fax Configuration screen, click Next.
    3. On the Sender Information screen, type the information you want to be displayed on your fax cover page, and then click Next.
    4. On the Select Device for Sending or Receiving Faxes screen, click the modem that is installed in your computer in the Please select the fax device list.
    5. If you want to disable the sending of faxes, clear the Enable Send check box.
    6. Select the Enable Receive check box if you want to receive faxes.
    NOTE: Selecting the Enable Receive check box allows you to receive faxes but may cause the computer modem to answer all phone calls, in which case you may not receive voice mail.
    1. Click the Manual answer button or Automatically answer after (user defined number of rings) button.
    2. Click Next.
    3. On the Transmitting Subscriber Identification (TSID) screen, type the identification information (usually your fax number and your name or business name) in the TSID box.

This information appears in the header area of the faxes you send and identifies your fax machine to the person who receives your faxes.

NOTE: The TSID is mandatory in some areas.
    1. Click Next.
    NOTE: If you enabled your machine to receive faxes in step 6, continue with step 11 – step 15.
    1. On the Called Subscriber Identification (CSID) screen, type the CSID (appears to confirm the fax is being sent to the correct recipient) that you want in the CSID box.
    2. Click Next.
    3. On the Routing Options screen, click to select the Print it on check box if you want each received fax to be automatically printed. When you select this check box, select the printer to print the received fax.
    NOTE: Your printer must be on and connected to your computer to automatically print faxes.
    1. Click to select the Store a copy in a folder check box if you want to create an archive copy of each fax.
    2. Click Next.
    3. Confirm the configuration settings in the Configuration Summary list, and then click Finish.

You are now ready to send or receive faxes

Sending an Electronic Copy Fax Using Fax Console or Fax Service Management

1. With the file open, click File ®  Print.

The Print dialog box opens.

1. In the printer list, select Fax.
  2. Click OK or Print, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Receiving a Fax Using Fax Console or Fax Service Management

1. Make sure your computer modem is connected to an active telephone line.
  2. Click Start®  Programs or All Programs®  Accessories®  Communications®  Fax.
  3. Click Fax Console or Fax Service Management.

If you selected the Enable Receive check box when configuring Fax Console or Fax Service Management, you are now ready to receive a fax.

NOTE: Selecting the Enable Receive check box allows you to receive faxes but may cause the computer modem to answer all phone calls, in which case you may not receive voice mail.

Viewing Sent and Received Faxes Using Fax Console or Fax Service Management

NOTE: Only faxes sent and received by Fax Console can be seen by Fax Console.
  1. Click Start®  Programs or All Programs®  Accessories®  Communications® Fax.
  2. Click Fax Console or Fax Service Management.

The following folders appear:

•  
    • Incoming—faxes currently being received
    • Inbox—faxes that have been received
    • Outbox—faxes scheduled to be sent
    • Sent Items—faxes successfully sent
  1. Select Inbox to view received faxes, or select Sent Items to view sent faxes.

Viewing the Status of a Fax Using Fax Console or Fax Service Management

1. Click Start®  Programs or All Programs®  Accessories®  Communications®  Fax.
  2. Click Fax Console or Fax Service Management.

The following folders appear:

•  
    • Incoming—faxes currently being received
    • Inbox—faxes that have been received
    • Outbox—faxes scheduled to be sent
    • Sent Items—faxes successfully sent
  1. Click the folder of your choice.
  2. Select the fax in the right pane for which you want to view the status, and then click Preferences or Properties.
  3. Click the General tab, and view the Status line.
  4. Click Close when you are finished.

Rick

17 Posts

February 27th, 2011 10:00

The problem is that it won't create a fax driver in Devices and Printers under Windows 7.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 27th, 2011 11:00

mikepark,

I really didn't do a lot of faxing. What little faxing I did was replaced with sending the documents with email. IWhen I sent a fax from my old printer, I had a DSL filter on the printer, since I had DSL at the time and sent everything directly from the printer.

Rick

No Events found!