Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 11th, 2006 22:00

AIO 966 Scanning Issues

I received my AIO 966 last week (as well as my Inspiron 1705).  The printer prints fine, but the scanning is driving me nuts.
Problem 1: When I try to scan, operating from the printer itself, it says it is downloading applications and then tells me it cannot. (This happens 75% of the time).
Problem 2: The program called 'Dell All-In-One' center offers no options.  Everything is greyed out under the scanning tab.

The troubleshooter is absolutely useless.  I have tried Dell DirectConnect twice and they have been unable to help. 

This is my last stop before I send the equipment back.  Can anyone help?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 12th, 2006 11:00

Did you properly install the unit?  The correct way is to load the installation program and ONLY when the install program tells you, connect the unit to the PC.  If you connect the unit first it will only cause problems or the install will fail.

8 Posts

December 12th, 2006 12:00

Thank you for responding.  I did install the printer according to te instructions in the order that you mentioned.  I have done that twice now.  Is there something I am missing, you think?

8 Posts

December 12th, 2006 20:00

Thank you.  Unfortunately, I have contacted them twice.  Both times we did a DirectConnect and neither time worked (in fact, I had to go back and restore because they installed the wrong driver).  I will keep trying on my own or send it back.  Thank you for responding.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 12th, 2006 20:00

The scanner is not being detected.  I would suggest contacting Dell since this is a new system.

December 19th, 2006 17:00

I have the exact same problem with trying to scan documents through the network on the 966 AIO, using a Dell Inspiron laptop.  I can print fine, but when it comes to network scanning, it's not working.  I can see the PC profiles configured on the scanner, yet all my options are grayed out on the scanning tab of the Dell application.  Also, when I attempt to scan from the AIO itself, and chose a PC profile to send to, it hangs at the point where it downloads the available programs from the PC to scan to.  The troubleshooter is indeed very useless.  This is obviously a problem.  Any ideas anyone?  I'm an MCSE myself, and cannot figure this out.

December 19th, 2006 18:00

I've spent serveral hours trying to solve this problem, billing the client for something that has not been resolved.  I cannot believe the troubleshooting tools (or lack thereof) that are included in the package.  They must have shipped to meet a deadline, etc.  Very frustrating indeed.  Keep me updated if you make any progress. please .
Martin

8 Posts

mpodgorski,

It is a bit ocmforting to know that there is someone else out there having the same problem.

I ended up reinstalling the software and forgetting about the wireless option.  It is now directly connected with through a USB. I have started the paperwork to send it back in the meantime and am looking for an HP.

I hope someone can be of some help on this forum.  Unfortunately, the forum has been as astoundingly unhelpful as all of Dell support has been so far with this problem. Sad too, because a few years ago they were the best; best products, best support, etc.  Not anymore though.  This experience has cost them my loyalty (which doesn't say a whole lot, unless there are thousands of people out there like me).

8 Posts

Will do.  And you do the same please.  Thanks.
Kyle

8 Posts

December 19th, 2006 19:00

I don't think I have a port replicator.  THe printer is set connected to the Dell network adapter which is connected to the computer.  That is it, I think.  I have it all unplugged, so I cant be sure of the connections I had.

December 19th, 2006 19:00

Kyle,

I think I have found the problem with our setup.  The PC that was affected was an Inspiron 9400, using a Targus ACP50US port replicator, with the network connection plugged into the port replicator, rather than the laptop itself.  After some testing, I have come to the realization that the port replicator itself is the problem, something to do with the network communication.  I unplugged the network cable from the port replicator and plugged it diretly into the laptop, and it worked. I have tested this about 10 time, and it seems consistent.  Let me know if you have anything like this in your environment.

Martin

8 Posts

December 19th, 2006 20:00

Martin,

Thank you.  I think I am good to go now.  Yesterday I connected it directly (forgetting altogether the wireless aspect) and have been able to scan, copy (which was never a problem) and print just fine.  This gets me through until I send it back and go out and get an HP (which is what I should have done in the first place!).

Is it my understanding from your previous posts that the wireless option has too many bugs in it to be worth it?  The troubleshooting options are horrid!

Kyle

December 19th, 2006 20:00

Kyle,

You actually won't be able to connect the Dell All-in-one directly to your computer and expect it to work.  If you are connecting it in this manner, there is more configuration that needs to be done, specifically you'd need to configure a common "IP" address on your computer and the Dell All-on-one, which will put them on the same network and able to communicate.  

This might be too technical to understand, but I'd be more than happy to help you as I've had this similar problem (different cause), but I'd like to be able to help you out.

Thanks.

2 Posts

June 5th, 2007 07:00

Is this still the state of affairs?

I can print wirelessly but not scan. Should I send it back?

8 Posts

June 5th, 2007 13:00

I gave up. I have 'wired' my printer and everything works fine. I just gave up on the wireless option.
No Events found!