Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2005 17:00

All-In-One Center

On my A940 Printer, whenever I push the "Scan" button or if I try and choose the "All-In-Center" from the printer drop down menu, I get a window in the middle of my screen that says "Computer is searching for scan applications and is preparing the all-in-one center for first use"  This window stays on forever and I must manually close it.   However, I can get the scanner to work by going to control panel and scan and it allows me to scan in a picturer only, so the scanner portion of the printer does work.   I am using Windows XP and it was suggested that I reload XP.  I don't really want to do that.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer driver disk at least 15 times to no avail.  That disk is ok by the way, since it does function properly on another computer.  I'm at my wits end.  Any suggestions?

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2005 15:00

initializing and Reinstalling all my stuff was the best thing I ever did, it freed up so much space and enabled me to start from scratch with hijack this, and spybot, and pretty much solved ALL of my spyware problems. I'm not sure if your problem can be fixed.

1 Message

April 17th, 2005 06:00

Hi I am getting the exact problem and cannot find a solution. Techie at dell suggest complete format and start from scratch, I think this a bit drastic. Have you mannaged to sort your problem if so please tell me how. 

170 Posts

April 19th, 2005 14:00

Have you guys tried reinstalling drivers. Did it do any difference??

4 Posts

April 19th, 2005 18:00

I think there are many of us with the same problem.  Still haven't found the solution and I'm afraid to reinstall the Operating System.  It seems like a drastic measure.

Perhaps we should be able to talk to someone in Dell engineering/tech support in the United States.  Maybe they can help.  Any idea how we can do that????

4 Posts

April 19th, 2005 18:00

Have tried to reinstall at least 25 times.  Doesn't help.  Any other ideas?????

1 Message

June 9th, 2007 13:00

I had the same poblem, but I figured it out. It was a very simple fix. Boot into safe mode. go to  control panel and uninstall the printer(I had a 942). Unplug USB connection from printer and reboot back to regular mode. Do not plug in printer yet. Install from CD or web site.(I used th install CD and it worked ,I don't know about Dell.com.). Once installed plug printer back in, it will look for drivers and the All-IN-One center will start  like it was your fist use.

1 Message

March 13th, 2008 02:00

I am having the EXACT same problem and am finding that it is a lot more common issue then I tought. I have a Dell Dimension 8300, 3GB RAM and run Windows XP (SP2). I cannot get my Dell All-In-One Center to work for the first time. I too have been told to re-install windows from scratch, but I don't think thats an option. If I could ever get to talk to someone from Dell who speaks english, and doesn't read all the answers out of a manual, maybe I could get somewhere. (I'm very frustrated at this point) I think Dell would have had enough complaints on this issue that they would have a fix or a patch out by now. Anyone hear of any? I will try the boot on in "safe" mode, uninstall and reinstall in "normal" mode route. If it works, I'll post it back!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 13th, 2008 07:00

Try re-installing the printer this way. Works almost every time.

How are you connected to the printer? wired of wireless?

If wired, disconnect your printer. Go to start/programs/Dell printers and un-install your printer.

Restart your computer.

Now go to drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers, Utilities, firmware and Patches.

Install your printer. You'll be prompted when to connect it.

Install and patches next. Then the Utilities and firmware.

If wireless, fix your network first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA security

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

If wireless printer server is used, Plug USB cable into computer and print server. Insert the print server disk. Choose Network, then choose print server and follow the instructions.

Now setup the printer.

Now go to drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers, Utilities, firmware and Patches.

Install your printer. Choose Network. Install the drivers.

Install any patches next.

Everything should now work.

No Events found!