Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2010 02:00

All in one A10 922 printer driver problem.

I've spent every spare hour in the last 5 days trying to get printer software and particularly the driver to load.

Dell computer with Windows XP.

I had no problems with printer then it just wasn't working when I tried to print a document and gave me something like usb error message.  Printer set up for usb or something to that extent.

I've fixed quite a few computer issues on my own through researching and networking but I'm surprised at the difficulties I'm having with this printer.

I've been through a lot of the Dell website, Microsoft, Download.com and various other sites many, many times but I can't find the solution. 

I've tried deleting all printer files around 10 times, reloaded the software from above sites several times and tried my disc.  Tried the patch someone mentioned here.  Tried deleting and reloading Java as someone mentioned (Not sure how they connect to this problem but I've run out of ideas).  I tried adding an HP printer driver mentioned here also.  Just a fraction of what I've tried.

"Found new hardware" always kicks in after every failure or apparent success.

Error messages usually mention driver not loading though I can see everything downloading.  I've plugged and unplugged several times and rebooted till the cows come home but same issues.

I even tried deleting all the USB root hubs and let them reload.  That off course disabled my mouse which was a pain for a point and click guy like me.

I get messages that program can not be validated.  "Strongly suggest not loading" etc.  This is for Dell site downloads, Microsoft and my Dell printer disc.  I sometimes do get the message but sometimes not.  Figure that one out.  Says something after failed downloads about Human Interface Device when it kicks in to "found new hardware" function.

When it looks like the download has completed successfully a couple of times, I have rebooted with printer plugged in and not plugged in.  Every variation that I could think of which is why this is day 5.  I tried printing before and after rebooting but still get the driver error message.

I've phone Dell for back up discs as I also wanted them for other things I wanted to work on.   I worked my way through three different people and explanations only to be disconnected before the printer guy.  Think I'm getting my discs but not the printer one.  The driver should be on my disc but it's not loading so who knows.  I'll wait to see if something shows up in the mail?

So does anyone know if this is a Windows XP update problem or connected to Java?

Nicest printer-scanner I've owned when it was working.

Cheers

Brian

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 28th, 2010 04:00

Brian,

For what I'm seeing, you must have recently reinstalled the operating system. Did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer

Downlaod and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

You now have two options with XP. You can download the drivers or you can use the pritner disk to install the printer. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected, Connect the printer at this time (powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 922 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 28th, 2010 15:00

Brian,

I don't think Dell provides the printer disks, except with the printer. I don't know of any way to download the disk, but the drivers on Dell's website has all the drivers needed except the OCR Program.

I can walk you through an XP repair and that usually helps with everything.

Rick

September 28th, 2010 15:00

Hi Rick.

Thanks for responding.

I actually have had the system for 4 years. 

I previously followed your instructions prior to my post.  I did this several times along with other tips from other websites.  Still can't get the driver problem figured out. 

I'll try the "delete print jobs" that you mentioned.  I can't recall if I did the manual removal of drivers. I'll try that also.   

I'm at my other computer but I'll  fire up my Dell and see how things go.   Can't figure out why a printer issue has been so hard for me to fix. 

My Dell back up discs just arrived today but not the printer driver.

Thanks again

Brian

September 29th, 2010 15:00

Hi Rick.

I worked on it again.  Day 6. 

I tried a few more of the patches etc you mentioned.  Still no driver.

After following the "cancel printing" instructions, I tried the printer disc again.

Pop up said "The file 'dlbtprod.ni is needed.'  First time I've seen that.  I searched the disc for the file but could not find it.

Whenever I try to reload the printer, I always end up getting error message "Can not install this device. Service Installation section in this INF is invalid."  Whatever that means I don't know.

On the disc, in the driver folder, are two categories.  Scanner.    +    Win_ XP2K

I also have tried downloading from Dell several times but same issues.

Do you think this is an  Windows XP issue then?

Just received 5 discs from Dell so at least I have them if needed.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Brian

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 29th, 2010 16:00

Brian,

Before we proceed, does this computer have an English US Operating system installed or another language?

Rick

Purchased in Canada and I barely speak French. 

It has to be USA unless there's a Canadian version to cover the extra "u"s in words like harbor - harbour, neighbor - neighbour etc.

Brian

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Brian,

Wonder if the English(UK) XP Drivers will work. They use the extra letters like you mentioned, like color is colour.

Disconnect the printer.

Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

The try installing the English(UK) XP Drivers. You should get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Rick

No Events found!