Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2013 03:00

All in one Printer 948 and windows 7 AGAIN!!!!

I am saddened to see that many people had the same problem i have over the past five/six years and yet Dell has done nothing about it yet.

I have just had to change my computer, i thought that the printer would work fine, you know plug and play........ no such luck.

I have now a Acer Z5771 all in one with windows 7 preinstalled and 3 gb ram with 1 TB hard drive.

I from the start had a problem with this printer, which worked fine on my old computer (running Windows XP) it will print some smaller jobs, not all though, it will partially print big jobs and most often it will not print anything no matter how big or small.

there was another printer set up on windows before i connected and downloaded upto date drivers (allegedly) from Dell. i have now removed that, no difference.

I have removed 948 and reinstall it, no difference.

sometimes it comes up with no connection yet there it is switched on and ready! (according to printers & devices on the start button)

if it does connect and start to print the percentage completed window goes very slow and continues after the printer has stopped printing and ejected the paper!

i have seen some people with this or similar problems refer to UAC what is this and does it help?

I'm already not a fan of Dell as they are master rip off merchants, over cartridge reminders and charges! but i don't want to have to throw away a working printer unless i have to!

Any help would be very welcome even from Dell!

printer is not wireless by the way!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

dan446,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 968 & 968w All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

8 Posts

Thanks for you very quick reply, have done most of this but will try once more.

only immediate problem; link to patch mentioned is not (at least as far as I can see) on the page you suggested it was!!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2013 11:00

dan446,

You are correct, my error. This printer does not have a patch(printer cleanup utility).

Run Delete Print Jobs Restart the computer, disconnect the printer,

If should remove itself using programs and features, then restarting the computer.

Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Install the Vista drivers in the compability mode. It should prompt you to connect the printer.

Rick

8 Posts

February 26th, 2013 13:00

will have to try again tomorrow, as it appears not to be my day! the link to 64 bit drivers is now not working!!!!!

so thanks...... so far will let you know if i ever get this solved!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2013 15:00

dan446,

Dell has changed some of their downloads, since the thread was made. If there is a problem with drivers, please let me know. I can give you the direct link, unless they were removed. If they were removed, I may still be able to locate them.

Rick

8 Posts

February 26th, 2013 22:00

yes please!

as your asking me to download a non logical choice of printer driver i want to make sure ive got the

right one!

so can you give me a link to the right driver please (for dell printer 948) usb cable using windows 7

what is the file number for this driver? not r241222 i hope!

Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 27th, 2013 03:00

dan446,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Restart your computer.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

I would try the VISTA 64-BIT DRIVERS FOR THE DELL 948 PRINTER and install them in the Vista Compatibility mode The R241222.exe drivers should also work. Not sure if they're in another language or just Windows 7 was added to be compatible.

Once you install the drivers, you'll get a mesage to connect the printer. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Rick

8 Posts

February 27th, 2013 14:00

well tried all that but no difference, it printed the dell test page ok so thought it might have done the job, then went to try to print daughters homework.......... printing stops - paper ejected - computer still downloading file to printer acording to screen.

I think it's time to remove dell from the equation........

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 27th, 2013 17:00

dan446,

Run Delete Print Jobs

Restart the computer. Open the home work, click on file, print and make sure the proper printer is selected. You'll have to do this a few times until the computer learns the printer for the programs you print from. Since the printer was removed, they usually want to print to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

Rick

8 Posts

February 28th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for you help Rick, but done that and still the same result....... prints about 20% of the document and thinks it's finished so pushes out the paper. however the computer is still sending the file! only 30-40% done usually by the time the printer has had enough and pushes out the paper as if finished.

So I have wasted enough time on this. I don't understand why Dell, who say they want to by in the computer business don't just release a driver for windows 7 that actually works properly.

I hope for your sake that Dell isn't this bad with all their other products; but then any company that deliberately triggers your printer to say it needs a replacement cartridge based on time and not usage is not honest.

If I needed another reason to avoid Dell this is it.

Good luck though with your stuff mate and thanks for your help!

Dan

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 1st, 2013 02:00

Dan,

Check on the printer and make sure the proper paper size is selected. Also make sure it's set for 100%

Start, control panel, devices and printers, your printer, printer preferences. Make sure the proper paper size is also selected.

Also check the program the file is from and make sure the settings are correct.

Rick

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2013 13:00

I did try this, however as expected no difference was made i have bought a KODAK Hero 5.1 and guess what it works!!!!!

first time and eachtime i have so far asked it to.

for a computer company/computer printer company to not be able to produce a new set of drivers for an operating system that has it self been replace is REALLY bad and i would say completely indicative of it attitude to its customers.

I have been ripped off by DELL over the false indication of running out of ink and now rippe doff by DELL over support for one of their newish products.

I for one will never ever buy anything DELL ever again.

DAN

Rick, this is not aimed at you but DELL the company,

and just for the record where do DELL get off making us tell them that their precious products are 'ONLY for use at home'

what the Substitute character removed as per TOU> has it got to do with DELL???????

No Events found!