Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2012 04:00

Bidirectional Communication Error on V505

Help please!

I am trying to connect my existing V505 wireless printer to a new PC, running Windows 7.  All seems fine until I try to print the test page, which throws up the "Please turn on "Enable Biidrectional Communication" setting in the printer properties dialog"

I opened the printer properties box, checked the "Enable Bidirectional Support" box, click Apply, OK, close the box.  Try it again and I get the same error message.  Go back to the printer properties and the bidirectional support box is unchecked again!  Groundhog day.

Opening the Dell Imaging Toolbox it can see the printer's ink levels etc, so I just can't figure out what's wrong.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2012 05:00

rednblackexile,

So you upgraded the operating system and got the .net framework error. Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Error After Upgrading to Windows 7

The printer needs uninstalled and then make sure you have all the Windows Updates, then reinstall the printer.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected.

Start, control panel, programs and features, Dell V505w Printer, uninstall.

Restart the computer. Make sure the pirnter was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

With the computer online, insert the printer disk and install the printer. Choose additional computer and follow the instructions.

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 1st, 2012 12:00

rednblackexile,

Is there a WiFi light on the printer? If yes, does it show that it's connected to your network?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

July 2nd, 2012 02:00

Hi Rick

Thanks for your reply. Wifi light on printer was blue, all connected to the network.  Bizarely I managed to overcome the initial problem by sending a print command to the printer via my other PC on the same network, and then when I went back to the printer properties on teh first PC the bidirectional communication box stayed ticked.  Ours is not to reason why...

The only thing I can't do now is scan in "document" mode because the OCR module has not been installed.  When I try to install it, I then can't open Dell Imaging Toolbox because it says I need Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0, which I can't actually install because it turns out it is not compatible with 64-bit Windows 7.  Aargh!  I'm not techie enough to sort this one out, so I'll just have to live with it as it is.

Regards

July 4th, 2012 02:00

Rick

Many thanks for your advice.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 4th, 2012 08:00

rednblackexile,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!