Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2013 09:00

C1765nf Color MFP sleep problems

I currently have this printer setup like any other printer on the schools network through a print server and deployed using active directory and group policy.  The problem comes from new printers being "energy conscious".  I have only found this to be a pain in <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>.  As it sits idle for an hour it will go into sleep mode.  When a user submits a print job, the printer should wake up and print, however, this wont happen.  It will show the printer offline and the job will store till someone pushes a button on the printer.  This should not happen.  I have messed with the setting on the printer to the max and cannot turn off sleep.  Or find a toggle that will definitely make sure that network will wake it up.  Anyone have a solution to this model or similar model?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 9th, 2013 11:00

Hi TheCamba20,

Refer the topic “Power Saving Timer” in this link: http://bit.ly/159Za3i

Power Saving Timer is a mandatory feature of the printer which cannot be turned off, but you can select a high value if your printer is in constant use.

3 Posts

July 9th, 2013 11:00

I really wish it could be turned off.  It is a useless feature that upsets the 5 users in the area that use it.  They want their prints to be printed when they walk up to it.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 14th, 2013 05:00

Hi TheCamba20,

I understand it is time consuming when you need to wake-up the printer for every print. However this is a design limitation.

6 Posts

August 12th, 2013 10:00

Something is not right.

Yes. Laser printers have a sleep mode. They power down the fusers because they consume a lot of energy.

However, they should NOT power down the network interface. When a job is submitted to the printer (over the network) it should wake the printer up.

I'm having the same problem TheCamba20 is talking about: the printer goes to sleep but does not wake up when a job is sent to it over the network.

We have two of these printers (C1765fn) which we just purchased last week. If Dell does not have a fix for this problem then we are going to return them.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2013 11:00

Ive worked a little with a Dell Support Tech to come up with a solution but nothing has worked.  Changing all sorts of IP settings but nothing.  It seems to have extended the life of it being up before going into a death sleep.  

I am ready to get rid of it as well.

September 22nd, 2013 17:00

This is a terrible "feature".  I never would have bought this printer if I had known about this limitation, and it's going to be the last Dell printer my company buys.  Sometimes I wonder who comes up with this stupidity.  I can't imagine that anyone is happy about this feature.  I know my users are not, and by all reports others have the same issue.  This is another example of an engineer designing something in a bubble.

1 Message

October 31st, 2013 13:00

I have this printer for over 6 months and after many attempts stopped using it as wireless device. Not only it does not wake from sleep mode but when print job is sent without turning printer on first, it will linger and block subsequent print jobs. 

Furthermore, this machine will disappear from network map and requires complete rebooting to show up again.

In addition, drivers get corrupted and require reinstallation about once a month.

Print quality is great and it's a decent copier as well. It just sucks software-wise.

6 Posts

November 13th, 2013 12:00

A "design limitation"?  Here we purchased three of these to deploy within our company, identify this error in programming, and see that Dell has known about this for at least four months without solving the issue?  In 25 years of computing I've never run into a company selling a networkable print device which had to be woken up by the user instead of waking up when the network addressed the device. 

Straying away from HP printers to Dell for our executives offices was obviously a mistake!

6 Posts

December 6th, 2013 08:00

I had the same issue in my environment. I installed the latest software package for the printer as per Dell Support instructions. The print drivers themselves are not enough, you must install the entire software package. There seem to be some components of the software package that monitor the status of the printer at regular intervals and, presumably, keep the nic alive. The software package does not seem to be to invasive. I have it installed on my print server and it is causing no issues, and the multiple 1765 printers I have deployed have not gone offline since I installed. If you did not want to install the software you could probably get away with using task scheduler to run a .bat to ping the interfaces of your 1765 printers, as I'm guessing that the Dell software does the equivalent of that anyway. Might be worth a try.

6 Posts

December 10th, 2013 06:00

Thank you for your response.  We did not opt to install any additional software (and the ping idea may work too) because we felt the Dell hardware should not require this.  Their other printers work as expected without software broadcasting on the LAN to keep the NIC alive.  This would be okay on a small home network but not what we've opted to do on our corporate LAN.  Thanks again!

15 Posts

February 24th, 2014 11:00

at first i thought it needed a firmware update for a bug. but to find out that i have to physically turn off the power and then turn it back on just to get the printer to print is unacceptable! No other printer anywhere dose this. If it is network, you need to have it on it get commands. i'd even be happy for an auto wake-up feature. that the printer is set to go on from 9-6 and then it can enter Dead sleep until 9am again. PLEASE FIX THIS!

105 Posts

February 27th, 2014 02:00

Oh I also thought it's a bug but it looks like it is a feature that is aimed at saving energy. This can really cause problems to some users even if Dell planned to make its features truly worthy. Printers should be up and about anytime so that it will not get in the way of tasks that need to be completed ASAP.

15 Posts

February 27th, 2014 06:00

I really thing it is a bug and they don't want to fix it. Here is a test. Printer is in dead sleep mode. it gets woken up by an incoming FAX. it answers the call, receives the FAX in memory then prints out the FAX. at this point the printer is fully awake and ready to do any task on the physical printer (copy/fax). But the network card still is offline. can't ping or print to it at all. This really needs to be addressed and Dell is not providing a solution. It;s a network printer and it should act like one. We have other network printers and they all wake up when there is something to print, they are all also energy star complaint so that lame excuse is just not going to fly. 

DELL: Please FIX THIS! 

3 Posts

February 28th, 2014 18:00

I have the same problem. I use my printer in wireless mode and if I don't use it for an hour or so it will not come out of sleep mode. I have to turn it off then back on and it works fine until hit goes back into sleep mode. I have talked to dell support 6 or 7 times and they try different things but cannot fix it. I am really disappointed in Dell. What junk.

15 Posts

March 4th, 2014 10:00

any update on this? who does this need to be address to?

No Events found!