Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2010 06:00

Can't install DELL 946 printer on a XPS 8100 with 64-bit Windows 7

Hi, I have a XPS 8100, i7 processor, windows 7, 64 bit in spanish.

I've tried to install my DELL 946 printer with  the R145441 software I've downloaded from DELL's site.

I've followed instructions (compatibility Vista mode, run as administrator, complete desinstall, and even reinstalled my PC, but I've been not able to make the printer install.

My messages are in spanish, so maybe the translation I write here is not thes same it would appear in english:

I run the installer. When it askes me to connect the printer I do that.   Windows begins installing the driver software. It lists 5 items (USB printer compatibility, DELL AIO printer 946 and others) and begins installing them Also, a window opens (Dell AIO priter 946 installation) and shows install progress.

Finally, the driver software installation window shows 4 items are ready to be used, and one i ndicates :"no driver was found"

When I look at the device manager, I can see that the Dell AIO Printer 946 is installed and is related to the scanner device, but other device with the same name (Dell AIO Printer 946) is shown with a question mark, its type is "other devices", and it has no information (driver date, driver version, driver are not available, driver provider is unknown).

When I bought my PC I also bought color and B&W cartridges because the printer was compatible with 64-bit windows 7,  but I just don't know what more to do.

If any of you have an idea please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your collaboration.

Sergio

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 16th, 2010 11:00

Sergio,

You need to...

Make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista computers) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Then insert the Dell Printer disk. Install the drivers using the compatibility mode. If you cannot do this, then let the printer install, then when Windows 7 asks, did this program install properly, say no and follow the instructions. It should help you install the drivers in the compatibility mode.

The problem is Dell's website does not have Spanish drivers and using a different language, conflicts with the installation. You can try the XP Spanish Drivers and install them in the compatibility mode.

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to XP. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Rick

May 27th, 2010 17:00

Hi Rick. Thank you very much for your complete answer. Sorry not answering before but I was out of the city and I couldn't do anything with my printer until last weekend.

My problem is with Dell 946 and Spanish 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

I tried what you told me:

I verified .net framework and java and they were OK (the latest )

Disconnected the printer, run the patch and restarted. I installed from the original printer disk (I selected compatibility mode with XP service pack 2  for the set up, before running)

It installed but returned an error, I followed instructions as you told me and windows corrected the error and then the printer and scanner were working fine.... BUT... later that day, after turning my PC on again, many programs freezed (iexplorer, windows live mail, and others). I tried restarting and other things but the only thing that solved the problem was running the patch again ( so again I had no printer installed).

I took a deep breath and repeated everything again. This time I selected compatibility with XP service pack 3. Again, it showed one error and I let Windows try to fix it. After that, the printer and the scanner are working fine. It's been three days since that and everything is working fine. I don't know if it had to do something with selecting XP service pack 3, or it was something more but it's working.

Now my children and my wife are very happy, they recovered a father and a husband that had been lost in the PC for more than 2 weeks trying to make the printer work.

Again: thanks a lot!

Sergio

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 28th, 2010 02:00

Sergio,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!