Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2009 12:00

Can't print in black and white anymore??? > All-In-One 964

All of a sudden my AIO 964 won't let me click a check-mark in the Print in black and white box in my printing prefereces.  I only like to print in black and white and it won't allow me to do so.  I just changed my black ink so it is completely full.  I would greatly appreciate anyone who can offer a solution fo this - thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 16:00

awyllie,

Click start, control panel, system. There it will tell you if it's 32-bit or 64-bit, probably 32-bit.

Disconnect the printer.

Un-install the printer, control panel, add/remove programs.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on) Please use a 5ft USB Cable or smaller.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Let me know what happens. You should have everything back.

Rick

6 Posts

August 9th, 2009 20:00

Hi Rick

Followed your instructions (uninstalling printer and re-installing it - drivers loaded themselves) to fix my issue and my issue has been resloved - thanks a lot for your input.

Sincerely,

awyllie

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 14:00

awyllie,

You are using Dell Series 5 ink cartridges, correct?

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

Rick

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 15:00

Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.  Don't know if it's 32-bit or 64-bit.  Dell Dimension E510.  Again, I've never had this issue before . . .

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

awyllie,

Refilling ink cartridges is the first place to look. It was the way you worded it that made me think this was a possibility.

What Operating system are you using? 32-bit or 64-bit? Make and model of your computer would also be helpful as there are a few known issues.

Rick

6 Posts

Thanks for the reply Rick but your posted article/link does not even pertain to my problem.  Yes, I'm using Series 5 ink cartridges and NO my ink level is not showing up as low.  I simply can't click (put a checkmark) on the box that says Print in black and white under Preferences.  I've never had this problem before and I only use brand new cartridges - I do not "refill" them.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 18:00

XP media center was never release as 64-bit (and only XP Pro was/is available as x64), so it's 32-bit.

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 18:00

I followed your instructions earlier regarding the determination of whether my system is 32-bit or 64-bit >> it indicates neither one when I click on Start, Control Panel, System.

I will try your other suggestions later on - thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 9th, 2009 21:00

awyllie,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

6 Posts

August 9th, 2009 22:00

DONE!

2 Posts

August 16th, 2009 14:00

I had this problem. It's actually very easy to fix:

- Click Print -> Properties

- Go to "Advanced" tab

- "More options"

- Deselect "Use color cartridge for all black printing"

- Select "Use black cartridge to print black and white"

- Click "Ok"

You should be able to select the "Print in black and white" option now and stop all the frustration!

Anthony

2 Posts

August 16th, 2009 14:00

I had this problem. It's actually very easy to fix:

- Click Print -> Properties
- Go to "Advanced" tab
- "More options"
- Deselect "Use color cartridge for all black printing"
- Select "Use black cartridge to print black and white"
- Click "Ok"

You should be able to select the "Print in black and white" option now and stop all the frustration!

Anthony

8 Posts

September 12th, 2009 12:00

Dear PudgyOne and awyllie,

Thanks for posting this exchange.  It was, indeed, very helpful when I needed to reactivate the suddenly-grayed-out "Print in black and white" option in Printer Properties.

However, I was also having a second, possibly-related issue that I thought this would resolve...but it didn't seem to do so.  Could you (or someone else reading this) please assist me?

When I open Printer Properties on my All-in-One 964, the color ink indicator appears to be no more than around half-full...this, even though (a) the ink in my previous cartridge seemingly had dried up (yet the indicator still showed half-full, but hardly any colors would print), and (b) I tried to debug that by installing a brand-new color cartridge (yet it still showed the same half-full indication even so).

Can you please advise me about what might be going on here, and how I can fix it?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Bram Weiser

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 12th, 2009 13:00

Bram,

If you could make an new thread and include the make, model of your computer and operating system. 32-bit or 64-bit? How you're connecting the 964 printer to your computer. Also copy the information from the section in blue to the new thread and I'll be glad to help you. I have a few tools to use but don't make them in all the 964 printer threads as the item I use has a few issues, but I know how to correct them as I have a 964 printer and have had it on a few systems.

Dell Printers Forum

Rick

Thanks for posting this exchange.  It was, indeed, very helpful when I needed to reactivate the suddenly-grayed-out "Print in black and white" option in Printer Properties.

However, I was also having a second, possibly-related issue that I thought this would resolve...but it didn't seem to do so.  Could you (or someone else reading this) please assist me?

When I open Printer Properties on my All-in-One 964, the color ink indicator appears to be no more than around half-full...this, even though (a) the ink in my previous cartridge seemingly had dried up (yet the indicator still showed half-full, but hardly any colors would print), and (b) I tried to debug that by installing a brand-new color cartridge (yet it still showed the same half-full indication even so).

Can you please advise me about what might be going on here, and how I can fix it?

8 Posts

September 12th, 2009 13:00

I mean...HERE is the link (sorry about that)

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19294155.aspx

Thanks,

Bram

No Events found!