Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

May 13th, 2013 22:00

Canon MX922 Printer Driver Installation Fails

I have an XPS8500 running Windows 8

I bought a PIXMA MX922 multifunction printer and after connecting to my router, I installed the drivers.

The printer driver installation program reports that it failed to install the printer driver, the scanner and FAX drivers installed normally.

It was being installed via the wireless connection and the wired LAN connection with the same results.

Part of the driver installation process is identifying the printer which shows up on a list with the expected MAC address and an assigned IP address.

The scanner function works fine and the FAX appears to be working.  The printer is not recognized by my PC.

I can ping the printer from the PC.

The printer works via the router with my iPad.

I spent an hour on the phone with Canon tech support and they basically threw up their hands after multiple installations and uninstalls under slightly different conditions.

Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong?

Thanks,

Ralph

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 13th, 2013 22:00

Ralph,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, PIXMA MX922 printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer.

Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

=============================

The procedure above the lines gives you a clean start to install the printer.

Do not try to do anything until I have the information below.

Please run Network Interface and post the information back here. Also provide the virus program and firewall you're using.

Rick

6 Posts

May 14th, 2013 07:00

Thanks for the help.

I deleted print jobs.

Removed the driver, confirmed manually.

ran interface.cmd, it reports:

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name                   : Wi-Fi

Description            : Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)

GUID                   : 2ae641e9-1252-4867-b645-91c0454fa03d

Physical address       : 68:94:23:35:dd:09

State                  : disconnected

Hosted network status  : Not available

My PC connection to the wireless router is via cable, not wireless AFAIK.

I am running the Microsoft firewall.

it's on and set to report when it blocks a new app

I am running Microsoft security essentials with default settings.

I am not aware of any other antivirus etc. software running.

I am the only user of the PC and I haven't intentionally acquired any other protection software.

Thanks again for the help.

-Ralph

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 14th, 2013 08:00

Ralph,

I forgot to mention...

The desktop is plugged in to the wireless router, so once the wireless router is setup, install the privers, choose new installation, network and follow the instructions. The desktop can print to the wireless router with no usb cable needed.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 14th, 2013 08:00

Ralph,

Do you have a wireless router? If yes, make and model of the wireless router. What type of security you're using and what channel?

If no wireless router, can you go to Canon's Website and download the Windows 8 drivers(s) and save them to your desktop. Also change the operating system to Vista 64-bit and save them to your desktop.

Drivers need installed first before connecting the printer.

I would first try installing the Vista 64-bit drivers in the Vista (maybe Vista SP2) Compatibility mode You should get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Since you said you're using Windows Defender, try reading...

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials/Windows Defender

If you have a wireless router, please wait to install the printer so we can tweak your wireless router so the printer can communicate. I see you mentioned a wireless router. Make and model helpful. The wireless router will need to use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier. The printer will ONLY connect on 2.4GHz network.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 14th, 2013 10:00

Ralph,

Get your network setup first.

Most wireless devices connect with WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal).

Most wireless devices like channels 1, 6 or 11. I use channel 11. The higher the frequency, the smaller the antenna, the greater the range.

Your setup should be...

wall > isp modem/router > wireless router(if any) > wired/wireless

If using DSL a dsl filter is needed on everything that is connected, except the ips modem/router

The desktop or any system that is plugged in to the wireless router, should be able to print to the wireless printer with no usb cable connected.

Try reading...

How to login to your wireless router and use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings

Here is a Wiki with pictures. You'll only have to go down to the lines.

Setting up/Troubleshooting a Wireless Network

If you need help, feel free to ask.

Rick

6 Posts

May 14th, 2013 10:00

Thanks again for the help Rick.

I am responding from work so I am going by memory, I will confirm any errors this evening when I get home.

I use a 2wire 3800 router supplied by Uverse, my ISP.

WPS is disabled.

Channel selection is set to auto and I believe it reported it was on channel 7 when I checked it last during this installation debacle.

It's a 2.4 GHz router.

The printer reports that it successfully connected to the router when I set it up and entered the Network Key initially.

I believe it is communicating with the router since I can print via my iPad.

It also must have some level of communication with the desktop since during the driver installation process, the driver installation software running on the laptop sees the canon printer and reports the correct MAC address - the driver installation software requires that I highlight the printer prior to proceeding.  The only way the desktop can know the printer info is via the wireless connection.

I have not connected a USB cable at any point in this process.

I'll read the Windows Defender link today at lunch, if I see anything revealing I'll report back.

-Ralph

6 Posts

May 14th, 2013 20:00

I went to the canon site and downloaded the Vista (x64) driver installation file.  

Canon said it was the same file as the Windows 8 version and it had the same name and 'file compare' said it was identical to the Windows 8 version.

After downloading I right clicked it and selected Vista compatibility mode and ran the file.

It didn't seem to run.

I checked with Task manager and it didn't report that app running nor any background processes with the name of the executable or any others with similar sounding names/functions.  Not sure what happened.

I then tried re-installing (just in case) without compatibility mode and it ran as usual, found the printer and then reported that the printer driver installation failed. It did.

So now I think I better just try using the USB cable and forgoing wireless connectivity for the desktop to see what happens.

Thanks for all the help.

-Ralph

6 Posts

Everything I can see from the wireless router appears to be in order per the description above and links.

My user interface is quite different than the example so I may have missed something.

The router shows it has assigned an IP to the printer although it doesn't know it's a printer.

I can still ping the printer from the desktop and it still prints wirelessly with the iPad

This doesn't appear to be case that the router is not 'seeing' the printer.

Not sure what to try next.

-Ralph

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Ralph,

If you made the router changes, then try installing the Vista 64bit drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode

Choose new installation, network and follow the instructions. It should prompt you to find the printer, find your network and ask for your password. The printer will them be connected to your network.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 15th, 2013 09:00

Ralph,

If you can find the location where the file unzipped to, look inside the folder for a setup file, right click on setup and change the campatibility mode to Vista.

It may be in one of these locations...

C:\Program Files

C:\Program Files (x86)

Or maybe C:\Drivers

Rick

6 Posts

May 15th, 2013 19:00

Thanks, I will take a look for it.

-Ralph

1 Message

May 4th, 2018 22:00

Hi,

If someone is reading it today... 

Even in 2018 Canon's drivers installation faces lots of hurdles if you are installing it using wireless connection. I had addressed this issue in one of my blog posts as well. 

Stick to the wired installation , connect a USB cable  and start driver installation.

Cheers

No Events found!