Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2016 11:00

Configuring H625cdw multifunction printer to "scan to email" using gmail as SMTP server?

I have searched the forums and not found a solution here.  Basically I want to be able to have the printer send alerts to my gmail hosted domain email and also be able to scan to email using the same smtp server configuration (ti seems to be the same configuration option set on the printer configuration).

I have tried multiple settings (including suggestions here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3528/t/19326216 )

Has anyone been able to get this working through gmail?  If so, please share what the key was to success.

Thanks.

372 Posts

August 1st, 2016 08:00

I have the answer to this issue, I setup a google address to scan to any email address from home.

Here is the major issue. Google wants us to use their Google Apps. Our Dell Printer does not use a google app. So we have to get a password from Google to access their email system. They make us go through this step for all non-google app access.

Two steps in Google to allow the printer to access your account.

Go to your Google gmail account. You need to activate the 2-Step Verification turned on

mail.google.com/.../0 etc

Last Google STEP!

Go to App Passwords.

Setup a password for ALL applications you will use, like your printer. It will Generate a password for you. Copy it >This is an important step. You need this password to make it all work.

Step one, log into your printer via web browser.

Print Server Settings> then click the tab [Print Server Settings] >then [TCP/IP]

2nd box down you will see DNS. IPv4 un-check the Get DNS box enter this address 8.8.8.8

Click at the bottom Apply new Settings. You MUST always apply the setting before leaving the page or it doesn’t save the setting.

Step 2, go to the [E-Mail Server] tab

Primary SMTP Gateway: smtp.gmail.com

SMTP Port Number: 465

Email Send Auth: *SMTP AUTH (AUTO)

SMTP login: your gmail login email here

Password: your G-mail GENERATED password. This is where you paste that password that Google generated.

Password: repeat

POP and POP3 ignore it.

Reply Address: your gmail email address goes here again

Click at the bottom Apply new Settings. You MUST always apply the setting before leaving the page or it doesn’t save the setting.

Step 3

Click the [Security] tab above

Then the SMTP - SSL/TLS Communication: *SSL/TLS

• 

16.7K Posts

February 9th, 2016 11:00

ErikHenrikson,

Below are some links I found to help resolve the printer issue with GMAIL.

Manuals & documentation for your Dell H625cdw Cloud MFP Laser Printer

From Gmail Help Forum:

Set up POP in mail clients

Use Gmail with Outlook, Apple Mail, or other mail clients

Configure Dell WiFi Laser Printer

Secure Scan To Email-Admin Guide

Google Gmail Help

Why can’t I access Gmail with HTTP?

To help keep your mail safe, Gmail requires a secure connection to access your mail through the web. That's why Gmail uses HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure), a secure protocol that provides authenticated and encrypted communication. Most browsers should support this protocol.

You’ll need to use the https:// protocol to connect, though Gmail will automatically redirect any old bookmarks or links which use http://. If you’re getting an error while trying to access http://www.gmail.com, change your URL to begin with https:// instead.

I get errors with HTTPS
You might be blocked from using HTTPS by local network configuration issues or older software. For example, you might see errors like "Cannot connect to host" or "Bad certificate."

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-Dell-Jesse L and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number

1 Message

June 24th, 2016 10:00

I'm having the same issue.  I've tried comcast, yahoo, and gmail, and all say they are unable to connect to the smtp server.  Please help

June 24th, 2016 11:00

If you find a solution, please do let me know.  I've not found one, although to be honest I have stopped trying and, as disappointing as it is, have been learning to live without this feature.

52 Posts

July 16th, 2016 20:00

Specifically for Dell H625cdw printer, you may want to look at the product user's guide, page 239 ("Sending a Scanned Data via E-Mail").

As a suggestion:

If you open the toner door, you can scan the QR Code to get to the printer specific tech support page and access the product documents.  OR take the simple option and click on this link <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

52 Posts

July 19th, 2016 00:00

In regards to printer e-mail alerts, i found to place set email alerts for supplies.  Go to page 164 --> E-Mail Alert Settings.  You can specify an e-mail address and on/off settings for "Supplies Alerts".  There aren't any fancy sub-options to pick-and-choose the type of supplies alerts.

2 Posts

August 18th, 2016 21:00

Sorry, I have tried everything imaginable, including several other SMTP servers.  I always get the same "unable to connect" error.  I even tried putting the printer in a DMZ (which bipasses myy rounter and  goes directly to the internet) without success.  I thought maybe it might be the DNS settings, but nothing I tried worked there either.  Scan to a network folder will not work either.  Either there is something wrong with the printer firmware or there is some setting elsewhere we need to change.

Has anyone had any success setting up the H625cdw or the H825cdw to send email via gmail or any other SMTP service?

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 18:00

I was finally able to get scanning to email to work on my H825cdw.  Unfortunately, I have no idea why it is working now and would not work last week or even this morning with the identical settings.  The only thing I did differently was to wait half an hour after I changed the SMTP settings before trying to send an email.  Once I got it to work with Google's gmail SMPT server I have been able to use any of my available SMTP servers, without waiting after I made a change.

Here are the gmail SMTP setting that worked for me:

Under the Security tab, SSL/TLS, I chose "enable" under "HTTP - SSL/TLS Communication" and "*SSL/TLS" under "SMTP - SSL/TLS Communication."

SSL/TLS

HTTP - SSL/TLS Communication                            Enable

HTTP - SSL/TLS Communication Port Number  443

LDAP - SSL/TLS Communication                            [not checked]

SMTP - SSL/TLS Communication                         *SSL/TLS

MD5                                                                         [not checked]

Under E-Mail Server Settings:

Primary SMTP Gateway                smtp.gmail.com

SMTP Port Number                       465

E-Mail Send Authentication           *SMTP (AUTH ) AUTO

SMTP Login User                          someone@gmail.com

SMTP Login Password                  [password]

Re-enter SMTP Login Password   [password]

POP3 Server Address                   [blank]

POP3 Port Number                       995

POP User Name                           [blank]

POP User Password                     [blank]

Re-enter POP User Password      [blank]

Reply Address                               [blank]

[and if it is working it should say]:

SMTP Server Connection              Ready

It did not use a DMZ, port forwarding or any other special settings on my router.  Nor, did I have to use 2-Step Verification in gmail (although I am sure that would work) as Mark suggest.  Instead, I chose "Allow less secure apps" in Google's gmail settings.

Also, to get the printer to scan to a Windows shared folder, I had to check the box next to next to "DHCP," under "Print Server Settings," in the "WINS" section.  I can't imagine why that would have any baring on the scan to email function, but just it can't hurt to try it.  (Although, I was surprised that DHCP for WINS was not enabled by default.)  BTW, there are a few other "undocumented features" to get the printer to scan to a network folder.

I'd be interested to know if others have gotten scan to email to work.  I'm quite curious why it works today and did not work for the 2 months I spent trying to get it to work before that.

April 6th, 2017 09:00

Thank you, this helped me get scan to email with Google SMTP working perfectly.

2 Posts

February 12th, 2018 13:00

Mark,

In addition to following your excellent advice, step-by-step, I found that the critical factor to make the device-specific Gmail password "stick" or "take" was to physically reboot the DellH625 at the machine. This was mentioned as a needed step in some forums regarding older Dell printers and it seems to apply here as well. My Dell printer would not even consider the new password once changed and saved in the portal until it rebooted. After the reboot, presto, it worked! Thanks again for the great instructions.

Regards,
Tom

1 Message

April 7th, 2018 12:00

Mark,

Thanks so much.  It worked perfectly. Gmail changed it's settings a little but I figured out the changes.  I just hope I never need to know that password!

Wally

1 Message

April 16th, 2018 16:00

Does this change the authentication required to "apply settings"?  I went through this process and scan still doesn't work.  It scans now and then I get a message "could not resolve smtp server name".  Now the the default "admin" is no longer working to apply any changes to printer?

1 Message

July 9th, 2019 18:00

This steps work.. I just want to add one more step to do. Create a "Generate Self-Signed Certificate" from the same security tab (toward bottom of page) for the entire thing to work.

Otherwise it keep stuck at "Failed authentication:.

May 28th, 2021 11:00

Hi All,

Best solution is below.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-ca/000135273/how-to-scan-using-a-gmail-account-on-the-b2375dnf-b2375dfw-dell-laser-printer#Two

Also activate this

- Less secure app access - enable (ON)

That's it.

Warm Regards

-Hitesh Patel

No Events found!