Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 23rd, 2007 01:00

DRIVER PROBLEM - DELL 942 - WINDOWS XP

Last week, I downloaded a hardware update through Microsfot Update, related to my Dell printer (a Dell 942). Ever since, I have had nothing but problems with the printer. When I try to set preferences, I receive the following error message:

"Function address 0x0 caused a protection fault. (exception code 0xc0000005) The application property sheet page(s) may not function properly."

When I print, I receive the following error message:

"dlbujswx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I have tried everything, including uninstalling my printer, and reinstalling it, to no avail. The problem has only existed after I actioned the Microsoft Update. Can anyone assist?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2007 09:00

It is best to not install driver updates from Microsoft.  Many times the drive Microsoft has is an older version.  Only download drivers from the equipment vendor (in this case Dell).  The other Microsoft software updates are fine, just avoid any hardware driver updates. 

You can rollback the update by using the System Restore function and restoring the PC to a date prior to the Microsoft update.  In most cases that will fix problems such as yours.  After running the System Restore you will have to install any other updates.   System Restore can be accessed through Accessories/System Tools. 

If the System Restore does not fix it.  Uninstall the 942, disconnect the unit from the PC, restart Windows and then do a fresh install using your Dell install CD.  Do not reconnect the 942 unitl the installation program tells you.  If you've lost the Dell install CD you can download the drivers from the Dell Downloads.  Click "Drivers and Downloads" on the left side of this page.

2 Posts

October 24th, 2007 05:00

Thanks for the response, fireberd. However, no good, I'm afraid. I tried System Restore, with several different dates, and I found that would not work - I received a response indicating that there had been no changes made to my computer (which I know not to be true).

I went through the uninstall/reinstall processes again, and, once I had restarted my PC, found that the problem still existed - so, at this stage, I am at a complete loss. However, I do appreciate your assistance.

5 Posts

November 5th, 2007 18:00

having the same EXACT issue as clemke here-

the Microsoft Update has trashed this printer driver and there's no way to get it to work again. i should not have to re-load my OS just to fix a bad printer driver.

i've uninstalled it, rebooted and tried a clean install of the old version and that still prompts this error. windows update has corrupted this driver.

please address and fix this issue dell

5 Posts

November 8th, 2007 15:00

any help here Dell?

you wrote the 942 printer driver that integrates with the OS. You can't just uninstall these things with a single uninstall command because it leaves remnants in the dll cache and registry.

you also suggest we do Windows Updates - you ship systems with it fully enabled.

so this Windows Update corrupts the driver and now there is really no easy way to fix this.

re-installing the OS is not an option.

Help

November 13th, 2007 23:00

I have the exact same problem as Clemke and Skomp. After using Microsoft Update my Dell 942 printer will not work, whatever I try. Curiously enough, it will print a printer test page and a print realignment page but nothing else. I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers twice, but no use. I have two versions of Windows XP installed on different partitions. Fortunately Microsoft Update was not set to automatic so I did not install any recent updates on the other partition. My printer still works perfectly on the other partition! Unfortunately the version of XP that I use most is the one affected. I can't see any easy solution to this, other than reinstalling the whole operating system. But that's a real pain. I also got the "DLBUJSWX.EXE" message. I checked the "Add or Remove Programmes" in Control Panel. A lot of the Windows updates and security fixes are listed here but there was no listing for the Dell 942 printer. You have to tick the box that says "show updates". After reading the other messages it seems obvious that Microsoft is the culprit and not Dell. Any help from Dell would be welcome but Microsoft should release a fix for this sooner rather than later. I forgot to mention that when I was printing the "test page" from the Dell software, I was using the computer and mouse, not the buttons on the printer. Therefore there is communication between the computer and printer (it's not a cable or a port fault). Message Edited by William le Poer on 11-14-2007 01:38 AM

Message Edited by William le Poer on 11-14-2007 01:40 AM

1 Message

November 16th, 2007 22:00

I have been having the same problem's. I did get my printer to work but I'm still getting the "dlbujswx.exe" message. To get the printer to work I first uninstalled the printer through the control panel then reboted. The system found new hardware. It then asked for the driver from the original software CD. So far this is working for me.

38 Posts

November 20th, 2007 22:00

I think even though this applies to Vista, it would also apply to XP:

"Communication Not Available" Error When Sending a Print Job to a Dell™ Printer After Upgrading to Microsoft® Windows Vista

1 Message

November 26th, 2007 15:00

first download Patch/Upgrade from support.dell.com

procedure:
1. go to support.dell.com
2. then choose drivers and downloads
3. enter your service tag
4. download patch/upgrade (you have to choose windows vista as your operating system)
     -  it does not matter if you don't have vista, this is a clean up tool and it would run on xp or vista
5. choose save on the options given
6. when you are prompted with options "Run" , "Open Folder" or "Close" -- CHOOSE "RUN"
7. this will run the  clean up tool
8. then reboot
9. now you have to reinstall the printer driver

the error message will not be up anymore

38 Posts

November 26th, 2007 15:00

I can't find patches/upgrade.  I can only find "patches and fixes" for Vista when I enter my service tag.

Are you logged in when you search and can you verify the links (and post the url)?  Thanks.

38 Posts

November 26th, 2007 18:00

I found the way to get the Patch/Upgrade:

procedure:
2. Choose Option 2, Get support by Product.
3. Select Dell Printers
4. Choose/select 942
5. Confirm
6. Select "Drivers and Downloads"
7. download patch/upgrade (you have to choose windows vista as your operating system)
     -  it does not matter if you don't have vista, this is a clean up tool and it would run on xp or vista
8. choose save on the options given

etc.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2007 15:00

hi , just wanted to thank you ... downloading  the driver update patch  for vista  fix my problem with
DLBUJSWX.EXE and fixed my problem with my Micorsoft Picture It program...
am totally relieved....

jullet41

December 8th, 2007 01:00

This did work for me as well, it removes the printer drivers.  I had to download the drivers to reinstall directly from the Dell website in order to re-install.  Just be sure to set the Dell AIO 942 as your default printer and hook up your printers USB cable after the installation.

Off topic: This is the only place I found that could help.  I had to join to let you know that, and say, "Thanks."

John2222 wrote:
I found the way to get the Patch/Upgrade:

procedure:
2. Choose Option 2, Get support by Product.
3. Select Dell Printers
4. Choose/select 942
5. Confirm
6. Select "Drivers and Downloads"
7. download patch/upgrade (you have to choose windows vista as your operating system)
8. choose save on the options given

etc.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2008 21:00

I followed your instructions and downloaed the patch/upgrade to my desktop.  I ran it and then it toldme to go to the control panel and configure the settings.  Can you tell me exactly what I am supposed to do at the control panel?  Any help woul dbe appreciated.

38 Posts

January 23rd, 2008 22:00

1 Message

December 14th, 2008 16:00

I follows the intstructions and chose the Patches & fixes for Vista even though I have XP and no driver updates populated in the list.  I then chose XP and all updates and it reinstalled the software from the website.  I tried my printer and still the same error message here.  Any other suggestions on how to fix this?  When I try to print, I get the error message above, I click "End" and my printer will print after I close the dialog box but will not scan, etc.   Thanks for any help! 

No Events found!