Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2006 20:00

Default Admin Password for 5100cn

So, is there a default password for maintenance?
I was going to clean my developer, a la grcooper, and the machine will not let me in.

I NEVER set a password, and it is driving me nuts.  I hate to spend an hour on the telephone to find out...

Mike Jaquish

174 Posts

May 31st, 2006 01:00

Hi Mike

The user name should be: admin
The password should be: password

Unless it's been changed. Remember that cleaning the developer will fill up the transfer roller hopper faster.Even though the instructions say it cant be done, you can very carefully split the case of the roller a little bit and shake out the waste toner. Be careful, if it is spread to far it will come apart in a million pieces...

Ray Cooper

25 Posts

May 31st, 2006 08:00

Thanks, Ray.
I'll try that.

My transfer roller demands replacement currently.  I have ordered from Dell, but I may try the crack and dump.
I'll have to pull it out to investigate, and also see how it fits into the assembly, but I wonder if a feller could cut a hole in one end of the reservoir, with a small vent hole on the other end, and make it easy to dump? 
Then seal it with aluminum duct tape?  The tape would take the high temp, but one would have to clean the plastic well to get a good stick.

I'll be the guinea pig on trying that, and let you know.

I have run 10,900 "sheets" through, but almost all of that has been duplex (the main reason I selected the printer.)
So, roughly 22,000 prints, with heavy coverage, and lots of B&W photos, with some color photos and text.
I'm on my fourth black cartridge, and just replaced Magenta and Yellow.

174 Posts

May 31st, 2006 09:00

I never thought of doing that to the roller, it may work. Let me know how it works out....

Ray Cooper

25 Posts

May 31st, 2006 11:00

tooooo coooool for schoooool!

I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in either end of the back of the transfer roller hopper beside the arrow tapes... couldn't get a good flow.

So I enlarged the holes to 3/8 inch.  Good flow.

I dumped most of the toner, wiped clean and patched with aluminum duct tape, the type with the removable paper backer.

I am about 100 sheets into a 500-count run, and prints look GREAT!  I even shut down and checked for toner leaks.  Nada.

And I have two transfer rollers coming from Dell...

So, I'll have a standby for next time .  I think before I put a new transfer roller in, I would drill it and tape the holes.

Also, it would be easier with a drill press and a little cradle for the assembly to be held in, but we aren't talking about trying to make high production here.

The plastic housing wants to grab the drill bit and pull it through.  It would work great, I think, to drill clear through and make a hole in the front of the hopper too.  That would let it dump quickly, with little shaking, I would think.

Next step, do the cleaning...

Mike J

May 31st, 2006 13:00

This message is in reply to the discussion about emptying the transfer roller.  Ray, splitting it is an excellent idea; but it is actually very easy to take the whole thing apart and get it back together without drilling any holes.  If the roller is facing you with the tabs on the bottom facing up, you use a small flat blade screw driver to push on tabs.  Once both are lose, you use the screw driver beside the white gear on the upper right. Let that shaft lose and then flip the whole thing and then push the other end of the shaft (no gears on that side).  You do have to be careful, because sometimes the upper white gear falls off and can end up in your waste toner pile.  Also, you will want to keep pressure on the end of the lower gear's shaft, since it is attached to the wire "stirrer" inside and the end will come out.  You can put it back, but it's sometimes tricky because of it's shape.  I work in 2 school districts and have dumped waste toner from all our transfer rollers and then put them back together. We haven't had to actually replace one yet and have at least a year of use on most of the printers.  I also know an imaging drum trick, but am hesitant to post it. Suffice it to say it involves waste toner as well.  I saw your post about the refills and have suggested to my boss(es) that once our printers are out of warranty we try it.  Have a good day and happy printing:)

25 Posts

May 31st, 2006 15:00

I thought it might be possible to separate it, but once the holes are drilled, it is REALLY easy to dump and very neat.

Gee, now I'll have to take one apart. :smileyhappy:

Mike J

June 1st, 2006 13:00

My method isn't really very neat, but it does empty it completely, and those transfer rollers clean up real nice.:smileyhappy:
No Events found!