Start a Conversation

Unsolved

RC

4 Posts

March 9th, 2022 00:00

Dell 1250c Laser Printer Mac OS installation failed

Hi,

I found the latest printer driver on Dell website and downloaded it. The installer opens and goes through the steps but when reaching installation / validating packages, I have an error message "installation failed". I have the same error if I try to install the packages separately. How can I successfully install the driver?

USB printer was unplugged at time of installation, installation done on MacBook Air running on OS 12.2.1.

Thanks in advance for your support!!

• 

25.1K Posts

March 9th, 2022 18:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

4 Posts

March 10th, 2022 04:00

Hi, the service tag number is

346 Posts

September 1st, 2022 23:00

Select the Apple icon in the upper left corner.
Select System Preferences.
Choose Print & Fax.
Click the + (plus) icon below the Printers pane on the left to open the Add Printer application.
Select IP on the top toolbar of the add printer window.

Regards,
John

2 Posts

April 8th, 2023 09:00

I had the same problem. The installation of the driver for MacOS10.7 or greater that I downloaded from the Dell website failed to install. I got the same "installation failed" message at the end of the install.

I tried to add the printer to via System Settings and there was a note under the "Choose a Driver" pull down menu that said "Software for this printer isn't available from Apple. Contract the printer's manufacturer for the latest software.

Can anyone help?

2 Posts

April 8th, 2023 10:00

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 10.02.24 AM.png Here is the error message.

1 Message

August 24th, 2023 09:05

@jlabbe@Raphi Ch 

You can extract the required files from the installer and install them manually. This does require using Command Line/Terminal however I will walk you through it below.

1. Download the installer from the dell website.
  2. Rename the installer to Dell.pkg and place it on your desktop.
  3. Open the Terminal application on your computer (this can be found in the Applications/Utilities folder).
  4. Enter the following commands each on a new line in the Terminal app pressing Enter/Return on the keyboard after each to run it.
cd ~/Desktop
mkdir dellinstaller
cd dellinstaller
xar -xf ~/Desktop/Dell.pkg
cat installationfiles.pkg/Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -I

6. You should now see a dellinstaller folder on your desktop.

7. Copy the Dell folder from the Library/Printers folder in the dellinstaller folder to the /Library/Printers/ folder on your main hard drive (usually Macintosh HD).

8. Copy the file from the Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ folder in the dellinstaller folder to the /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/ folder on your main hard drive.

Once done you should be able to add the printer via System Preferences/Settings > Printers & Scanners.

Tested on MacOS Ventura 13.4.

Hope this helps.

October 18th, 2023 03:44

@DjinnGA​ Hi. Thanks for figuring this out and being so clear. I did steps 1-6 but for whatever reason I am not seeing the aforementioned files/folders in the deinstaller folder that you noted in steps 7 and 8.  I am on MacOS Monterey... if that info is at all useful.

I downloaded the driver from Dell

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=7gxkm

I feel like I found a few different versions and tried the same process with all and still didn't get the noted folders.

Thanks in advance.

Here is what terminal says for one of the attempts perhaps trying to use one of the other pkg in the folder as the others failed..

dellinstaller % cd ~/Desktop

Desktop % mkdir dellinstaller

Desktop % cd dellinstaller

dellinstaller % xar -xf ~/Desktop/Dell.pkg

dellinstaller % cat installationfiles.pkg/Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -I

cat: installationfiles.pkg/Payload: No such file or directory

gunzip: (stdin): unexpected end of file

cpio: Option -I requires an argument

Brief Usage:

List:    cpio -it < archive

Extract: cpio -i < archive

Create:  cpio -o < filenames > archive

Help:    cpio --help

here is what terminal says when I used the more obvious pkg

dellinstaller % cd ~/Desktop

Desktop % mkdir dellinstaller

Desktop % cd dellinstaller

dellinstaller % xar -xf ~/Desktop/Dell.pkg

dellinstaller % cat installationfiles.pkg/Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -I

cpio: Option -I requires an argument

Brief Usage:

List:    cpio -it < archive

Extract: cpio -i < archive

Create:  cpio -o < filenames > archive

Help:    cpio --help

dellinstaller % 

(edited)

December 11th, 2023 11:13

@pleasework2023​ I got the same message, then used lower case ‘i’ after |cpio and it worked.

December 11th, 2023 11:15

@DjinnGA​ Thanks, worked after I specified lower case ‘i’ after cpio.

No Events found!