Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2011 14:00

Dell 1250c drivers for Linux?

I just bought a Dell 1250c colour printer. It works perfect with my Mac. Now I also have a Linux box around. I know Linux is not in the supported OS'es list but as Linux uses CUPS as well as MacOS I thought support would be possible.

Unfortunately the CUPS filters for MacOS are not transferrable (incompatible universal binary, etc.).

Is Linux support expected some time for this printer? Is the printer to some degree compatible with some other brand/model which has Linux support?

Any help is welcome.

8 Posts

April 30th, 2011 06:00

I found out that the Dell 1250c is compatible with the Xerox Phaser 6000B. The Linux CUPS driver for that printer  can be found at the Xerox support site.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 21st, 2011 15:00

laan

I do not see linux in the OS drop down list hereso I doubt linux will be added. Also the User's Guide page 113 fails to mention linux. You might ask the linux users here.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2012 09:00

Laan, have you succeeded in getting the Dell 1250c to work in an Ubuntu enviroment ?

I already tried with the Xerox Phaser 6000B driver, but I still didn't get it going ...

Thanks for a reaction .

8 Posts

January 4th, 2012 08:00

I have indeed succeeded in getting the Dell 1250c to work under CUPS on Ubuntu 10.4 LTS server. Download the package (.deb and .rpm are both available, but for Ubuntu use the .deb) and install. From the CUPS interface (https://localhost:631/) you can install the printer.

There are a few drawbacks using the Dell 1250c from CUPS. One is that you have to use a Windows PC to upload the latest firmware (recommended, the printer only worked fine afterwards) and do the default settings (like paper size). Also, repeat in CUPS the default settings because you do not have a nice panel on the printer. Documents with a different paper size stall and using the green button restarts the job while the red button just cancels it.

When you print from Windows to the CUPS server define a second 'transparent' (raw) queue and install the original Dell driver on the Windows system. Be aware to use again the same default settings otherwise the jobs stall again.

With these presumptions it all works fine.

4 Posts

June 13th, 2012 08:00

Thank you for the info. How does one update the firmware on the Dell 1250c printer?

Is there a link to the files or does the windows driver do this automatically?

I'm trying to setup a print server on my linux home server. (It runs Ubuntu 8.04.1)

8 Posts

June 13th, 2012 11:00

Using CUPS you will be able to print from a home server installed with Ubuntu. If you want to upgrade firmware the you have to attach a Windows or Mac desktop/laptop directly with the native drivers.

4 Posts

June 14th, 2012 08:00

Do you have a copy of the printers.conf file and the cupsd.conf file ?

8 Posts

June 14th, 2012 16:00

The conf files are quite basic. Use for Ubuntu the Xerox Phaser 6000 driver in DEB package and install it. Use the CUPS interface to install a printer queue with this driver. Be aware, for Windows you need to install the Windows drivers local on your PC/laptop and use a (second) raw printer queue on your home server.

No Events found!