Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2006 16:00

Dell 1710n Win2003 Terminal Server Driver problem

We are using 2 Dell 1710N printers and 1 Dell 1710. I have installed them on our Domain Controller (Win2003 SP1) and the printers are functioning well. On all the other servers (3 servers, also Win2003 SP1) the printers are added (so printing to \\ess-exch1\"printer"). But on 1 server (Win20003 SP1) the printers keep giving problems. After a reboot the printers are ok, but after some time (sometimes after couple of hours, or even 1 day) the printers are giving problems.

When I try to open the properties, the screen hang. Also rightclicking the printers is slower (before menu appears). Almost everytime I then get the message that there is no printer driver installed. But it is !!! ???

has anybody seen this before. I even have tried to reboot the server, delete all of the dell software, but still the problem occurs ....

Hope anybody can help me soon, our customer (and me) is going crazy ...

Thanks,

Jurgen ( jurgen@sba.nl)

1 Message

February 7th, 2006 18:00

We are experiencing almost the same issues, the printer is shared from a Windows 2003 Server SP1 machine, and some of our machines experience the same sluggishness and driver error messages. It's not all of our machines though.

336 Posts

February 8th, 2006 10:00

Since the Dell Laser is a Lexmark clone, you may want to consider using the Lexmark driver set for this printer.  I use the E232 drivers for my 1700 and it's very stable.  I'm not sure if the 1710 would also use those same drivers though...

5 Posts

February 8th, 2006 15:00

I have brought this under the attention of our Dell contact now. The support department has told me to try the PS driver, but that the do not support it .... can you believe it !!

I also installed the printer with the lexmark E230 driver and that works fine, but I cannot select a tray now. Until I get a response from dell our customer can work with it this way.

I'll keep you informed ...

Gr, Jurgen

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2006 05:00

Well, after some days of constant conversation with our dell contact, it looks that we finally have a solution. Dell made a new driver version for us and this is installed yesterday. It seems to work fine, but I'm curious if it still works fine the next days.

Also I must say that the problems doesn't seem to be the fact that the server is a Terminal Server ...
The problem is that we use a Dutch version of the OS ... That's the only thing different from 5 other servers that are also installed with Win2003 SP3, but in English. One of them is even a Terminal Server ...

If you want to try the Dell driver too, please contact me at jurgen@sba.nl and I will inform you how to get the driver from our ftp-server. If you don't get a reply within 2 days, then it's possible that your email arrived in my spam-mailbox. If that's the case please try again or post a reply to this topic and I will get back to you.

Gr, Jurgen 

4 Posts

September 28th, 2006 08:00

Are you sure this Microsoft Hotfix will resolve my issue with Dell 1700 laser printers ?

5 Posts

September 28th, 2006 10:00

Well ..It did solve our problem and also a few people have asked me about this driver. I think at least 5 requests came in and for all of those it also did work ....

But ofcourse I can never garantue it. Also dell says that this is not a fully supported fix from them (it's not a Microsoft fix, but a dell fix).

Best regards,

Jurgen

4 Posts

September 28th, 2006 11:00

I was talking about the Microsoft Hotfix thas is described in the Microsoft KB893225  mentionned by keulinchen .

5 Posts

September 29th, 2006 05:00

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the new driver from dell ..

4 Posts

October 2nd, 2006 13:00

I have installed the Microsoft Hotfix (see KB893225) on last friday. It is monday and for the moment the problems with the 1700/1710 printers seems to be solved.
Thank you to all that helped me to get a solution.

4 Posts

November 7th, 2006 09:00

DeLup, if you can send me the driver you got from Dell. I'd be very pleased.
I have send you a mail about one hour ago to the address you gave.
No Events found!