Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2009 09:00

Dell 2335 DN copier issue

I have a Dell 2335 Dn multifunction. When you use the ADF to copy a document it the copy comes out with a vertical black line. If I used the ADF to scan or fax there is not any line on the page. I have tried updating the firmware with the same result.  Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

4 Posts

June 19th, 2009 12:00

Thank you. I will give this a shot and let you know the results.

1.7K Posts

June 19th, 2009 12:00

Open the lid of the scanner.

You will see the large flat-bed glass and to the left, a long narrow piece of glass. When you use the ADF, the scan head positions itself under the narrow glass and the paper is moved ACROSS the glass...... usually in direct contact with the glass. Over time, crud will rub off onto the surface of the glass.

Use a NON-Abrasive, soft, lint free cloth (an old clean tee shirt is good for this) and some alcohol and thoroughly clean the small narrow glass piece. Make sure you really clean this glass good, and use alcohol. Reflect a flashlight off the surface to help you find the "crud" clumps

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 08:00

This only fixed the problem for one copy and then it was back to adding the line.

Any other suggestions?

1.7K Posts

June 23rd, 2009 08:00

To confirm:

• There is NO LINE when you COPY using the flat bed glass.... correct?
  • The LINE only occurs when you use the ADF to COPY.... correct?

If you answered YES to both questions, then you missed a spot on the narrow glass, or, the material you are copying is shedding it's toner/ink.

You'll need to clean it again and keep doing so until you find the cause. After you clean it next, copy some plain white paper thru the ADF to see if you have any lines. if you do, there's still some stuff in the narrow glass.

Since BOTH methods of copying use the SAME scan-head, and if there are NO LINES when copying from the flat-bed, this would indicate obstructions on the narrow ADF glass.

1.7K Posts

July 1st, 2009 12:00

You have a different machine...... this should be a new thread.

HOWEVER, The principles are the same here. If you have a black line when COPYing from BOTH the ADF and the FLATBED...... your scanner most likely has a defective CCD element. In other words, the scan-head, or the cable, or the main board is bad.

Extend the test you did with the plain white sheet and the ADF...... place it on the flat-bed and make a COPY. Black line = Broke.

1.7K Posts

Sorry for the bad news.....

I read your post again and need to ask another question..... you said: "..... 1" black line....."

Does this mean the line is 1" wide and goes all the way down the page? Or, does the line extend down the page only 1" ?

• If 1" wide all the way down: You probably have a broken etch or bad solder point for one of the connections in the flex cable that connects the scan head to the main board.
  • If only 1" long: You probably have a broken etch in the cable that goes to the scan head after in the extended position.

Since the machine is off warranty, ya have nothing to lose by opening it up and seeing if you can find and fix the problem.

3 Posts

Thanks for replying so quickly.  I've already done that so I quess I need another new printer.  I just got it this one a little over a year ago.  Conveniently out of warranty.  I really do appreciate your time and expertise.  Thanks again. 

3 Posts

I have been reading any threads I can find about this black line problem.  I have a 948 AIO printer and it prints from files just fine, but when I use the flat bed and the ADF to copy or scan, there is this 1" vertical black line.  It is always on the back side toward the paper feeder of the original copy.  Under that part of the glass is a white wire housing.  Could that be a problem?  I primarily use the flat bed (glass) for copying, as I copy out of books daily and cannot use the ADF for that.  I have cleaned excessively the vertical thin glass area and the roller directly above it, as well as the flat bed glass with alcohol and used a flash light.  I've also ran a plain white sheet of paper through the ADF and on the flat bed glass.  Still black line.  Please help as this is using up all my black ink and this is a new cartridge, as well as it distorting copies.

3 Posts

July 1st, 2009 22:00

1" wide all the way down.  I had previously opened it and checked underneath for any loose connections.  Everything seems intact, but still printing line.  I haven't unscrewed anything, but I don't think I'll be doing any soldering.  I've also printed with the door up just to watch the wire housing or flex cable to see if it was functioning properly etc.  Looks fine.  Something is broke somewhere.  Things are just cheaply made anymore.  After reading reviews for all the Dell printers, I don't even know what to buy now.  They all have problems.  Thanks for all your help/input.

1 Message

September 23rd, 2010 19:00

Thanks, Llynster,  I have the same MFP with the same problem.  I'd been vacuuming the 'innerds' of the ADF with no luck, so your fix really helped.  So did the vodka I used to clean the long narrow piece of glass...

1 Message

April 29th, 2011 18:00

I just used Windex and drank the Vodka instead.  Seems to have cleared up the problem, and after the vodka, I don't really care anyway!

Cheers .... Savvy

1 Message

February 13th, 2012 09:00

I followed this procedure of cleaning the narrow strip of glass and both lines on the copy was removed.

25 Posts

March 5th, 2012 11:00

This has also worked for me. Thanks for the help!!!

June 23rd, 2012 11:00

Worked for me too on 2135cn.  Thanks.

June 4th, 2013 07:00

Hello from NW Missouri!  You just made me look good this morning with your expertise.  Thanks bunches!!:emotion-5:

No Events found!