Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Q

September 27th, 2006 14:00

Dell 3100cn Color Prints Smudging

When I print color images, there is a strip where the colors keep smudging.  It is near the right hand side of the page, and it looks like someone took a pencil eraser to wet ink and smudged it down the page.

I have tried using the cleaning wand repeatedly and this does not address the issue.  I have also run through the entire troubleshooting guide, including reseting the NVRAM (or whatever its called), checking the fuser and drum for loose pieces of paper, etc.  The problem seems to get better (not fixed, but improved) temporarily when I use the wand and follow all the steps, but then it just gets worse again after a day or so.

Black and white prints are 100% fine.  I printed all the test pages the troubleshooter said to, and all the color images have some white spots missing along that strip, though the black is fine.

At the end of the troubleshooting guide it directed me to contact tech support, but my warranty has expired.  :(

Any suggestions?

14 Posts

September 30th, 2006 11:00

Well, I've got exactly the same problem - I've just written to support about it, so we'll see what they say.

If you want to get a better idea of the problem, go into the customer service menu (do this by powering off the printer, then holding the up & down arrows on the front panel when you switch it back on) - go to print tests and then select 'contamination check' - this prints a page for each toner colour.
On my printer, I can see a gap with missing toner at about 12 across and 20 down for all three colours - it's not there for black though.

I suspect the drum is damaged but I don't understand how - it didn't do it when it was new, and I've only printed a few hundred pages with it.

I hope Dell can sort this - it's a great printer otherwise (okay, we won't talk about paper handling here....)

3 Posts

September 30th, 2006 12:00

Thanks for the response, please do let me know if you get any info from them.  My husband thinks its the drum too, he is going to take a look at it this weekend.  If we come to any conclusions we will let you know as well.

We have had this printer for over a year now and have done a ton of printing on it, and this only started recently for us. 

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2006 03:00

I also have the exact same problem, except the lines/smears are across the bottom of the page in three distinct areas and only show up while test printing the cyan or magenta colors. Other colors or black and white are ok. Dell tells me my warranty is up (still fighting that one as I have a 2 year warranty, not 1 like they say) but until that is resolved I would like something else to try.

The troubleshooting just pointed me toward the two colors, I checked and removed them, blah blah like the troubleshooter said but the problem still remains.

Please let me know what tech support tells you also.

Thanks!

14 Posts

October 3rd, 2006 12:00

I talked to tech. support about this - apparently, the printer builds the image directly on the drum for black, but when using colour it uses a transfer belt - so, if you have a problem with colour only then it's probably caused by damage / contamination of the transfer belt.
I am lucky in that my printer's still under warranty, so Dell (UK) have arranged to replace the drum cartridge (which contains the belt).

I guess if you're out of warranty & feeling brave you could try taking the cartridge apart and seeing if the belt can be cleaned - but I suspect you'll probably be needing to buy a new one...

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2006 16:00

Wow, that s. My printer has only run thru about 2600 pages, and my toners are all full except for black (of course I already had a warranty issue with black the first two weeks) I am still working with warranty support to find out if they can find my two year warranty stuff.

Let me know if the new drum fixes the problem. If all else I might have to try to fix it myself before buying a new drum.

Thanks for your response

14 Posts

October 3rd, 2006 17:00

Well, new drum fitted and it has just shifted the problem - looks as if the new drum also has a problem (but in a different place horizontally on the page).

Maybe these drums have quality problems...

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what happens.

2 Posts

October 4th, 2006 17:00

I also have the same problem.  Two smearing lines going accross the page I already tried the drum.  Still problem exisits.  And of course the drum comes with the transfer belt.

14 Posts

October 4th, 2006 18:00

I phoned them today and they suggested replacing the cleaning pad (on the cleaning rod on the right hand side of the printer) with the new one supplied with the new drum - and then cleaning the print head. This seems to have fixed the problem - although there's another problem now (faint white line all the way down the page on all four colours)

Anyway - I'm sure you've all tried cleaning the printer with the cleaning rod, but if not, it seems to work (and I really didn't expect it to make any difference!)

14 Posts

October 5th, 2006 11:00

I tried cleaning it again (used the rod about 20 times) and all the problems seem to have gone now.

Good luck.

4 Posts

October 5th, 2006 18:00

I guess I will try that again. I will let you know what happens. It is weird that only 2 colors have the problem and not all three.

October 10th, 2006 16:00

Dear Friends,

I have a Dell 3000cn laser printer and have the following problem:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=S2500&message.id=7738

==>>Is this related to the problems you have and could you let me know if using the rod does help?

My drum got replaced and everything went okay for a couple of prints.
Yesterday however I noticed that my problem appeared again... :=(

I testprinted some DVD covers which cover most of a A4 page:
The quality is perfect except on 3 areas of the page. If I drew a vertical line at the page, you'd notice that the 3 artifacts are beneath each other(this means they are at the same distance in horizontal direction but appear on different spots in vertical direction).

The spots are longitudinal stripes which are colored blue-white and the edges have the same colour of the neighbour cover.
I also noticed stains in the middle of the page and smearing of text when I print the first textpage after the printer warmed up.

What should I do? I'm really desperate...

I don't have a scanner but if needed I ask someone to scan a couple of pages.

toner level:
Black: 40%
Cyan: 80%
Yellow: 100%
Magenta: 100%

Thanks!
Steven

4 Posts

October 10th, 2006 21:00

I tried the rod (spare the rod, screw with the printer) and it still hasn't helped. Like the last post, I have the smear/streaks across the bottom of a normal letter page about 1/5 of the way up in three distinct areas and only if I print with blue or magenta being needed. I am still at a loss other than getting a new 169 drum after only 2600 pages or so. Dell needs to get a bit better support. I am still trying to contact support about my warranty/non warranty issue. Any one else have any thoughts?
Below you can see a visual representation of where the streaks are occuring.

XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XX'X'X'X
XXXXXX

14 Posts

October 11th, 2006 05:00

What country are you in? If you're in the UK it might be worth having a go from the consumer rights point of view - i.e. the product is not sufficiently reliable, fit for purpose and as described in that the drum failed after less than 1/3 the supposed life (which I believe is 9000 cycles). Contact trading standards and have a chat.

If you're not in the UK then bad luck.. ;-)

October 11th, 2006 14:00

Hi Kelraine,

I tried the rod, didn't help me...
Well it did help, after 15 prints the poblem was gone. 3 hours later I restart my printer and here we go again.
Could you confirm that you don't have this problem anymore?

I'm really disappointed... This printer cost me about €600 (extra toner) and it doess't print well anymore after 1400 prints. This sounds like failing material considering that replacing my drum didn't help me.

Could anyone give me a straightforward solution?

Kind regards,
Steven Berbiers

14 Posts

October 11th, 2006 16:00

Yeah, that's not very good at all. I've tried another test print and my printer's still okay. If you replaced the drum then there aren't many other areas left that could cause that sort of problem I would have imagined.
Have you checked the transfer rollers etc. for any damage or dirt?

What exactly does the problem look like? Is it always in exactly the same place?

Given the low usage, I would see if you can 'persuade' Dell to repair or replace the printer under whatever consumer rights legislation you have.
No Events found!