Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2009 07:00

Dell 3110CN - Paper Jam 071-100

I have a Dell 3110CN Printer and every now and then it will erorr out and say there is a jam and it throws the code 071-100. When you open up the printer there is no jam and it starts working again. Is there any reason for this?

1.7K Posts

March 9th, 2009 11:00

In this printer, an 071-100 error means the paper did not arrive at the Registration sensor in the correct time. Usually, this can be caused by a dirty paper feed rollers.

Remove the paper tray and set it aside. Now look inside the top-middle area of the paper tray opening, about ~6 inches from the front. You will see a tandem pair of rollers held in place with a clip at the end of each feed shaft. Release the clip from the shaft and slide each of the rollers from the end of the shaft.

Use a lint-free rag (an old clean tee-shirt works great) dampened with water and thoroughly clean the rubber tire surfaces on each of the rollers. There are 2 tires per feed roller..... you should clean all 4 tires. (do not use alcohol or other solvents as this will dry out the rubber over an extended period of time) If the grime on the tires is troublesome, you can use some liquid detergent to help clean the surface, but ensure that ALL soap residue has been rinsed off the tires before placing them back into the printer.

(I just take 'em out of my machine and run some warm water over them in the kitchen sink. Then I use a link-free rag to completely dry them off before placing them back in the machine)

1 Message

July 19th, 2012 07:00

I get the same message on my MFP 3115cn.  After following your suggested remedy, no change.  There is no paper anywhere in the unit that is even remotely visible.  After replacing the rollers with new ones, as well as the feed assembly solenoid, and cleaning every other roller in the paper path, I still get the same error code.  Is there really a fix for this or do I now have a "boat anchor?"

April 16th, 2014 08:00

Exact same problem here.  No real paper jam.  Just paper jam error.  Opening and closing the printer door gets the printing going again for another 2 or 3 pages, then paper jam.

I've cleaned the rollers.  I'm trying to learn how to check the "regi sensor".  If anyone could direct me next, that would be appreciated.  Thanks!

-Dustin

April 16th, 2014 10:00

I've done some troubleshooting and it appears that my 550 Sheet feeder is defective.  Some of the guts inside aren't working properly.  The sites that helped me do the diagnosis were:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3528/t/19268090.aspx

and

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=627036

No Events found!