Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

12 Posts

October 14th, 2019 10:00

Dell 3110cn 64-bit Printer Driver for MacOS Catalina

My MacBook Pro is running MacOS Catalina and I have a Dell 3110 printer.  Catalina is not supposed to run any 32-bit apps and when I run a system report to find "Legacy Applications" the Dell 3110 app appears on the list.

Much to my surprise, I am still able to print and the Dell app comes up when i try to print, but i'm sure at some point Apple will disable that app.

How can i go about setting up a 64-bit printer driver/app that will work w/Catalina?  Are there any printers that are compatible with the 3110cn that have 64-bit Mac drivers?  If so, can you please provide the URL.

On the Windows 10 side, I am using the Dell Universal Printer driver and i believe it emulates a 3115.  Is there a Mac Universal printer driver, or equivalent?  Thank you in advance.

January 27th, 2020 13:00

Sorry to be late to the party, but responding in case anyone else hits this link.

To get the Dell 3110cn (or 3130cn) to work under Catalina I did the following:

1. Downloaded Dell 3130cn driver (compatible with 3110cn) from here
  2. Open/mount the downloaded dmg file
  3. Open folder MacOSX10.7-
  4. Open "Dell 3130cn Print Installer.pkg" and follow instructions
  5. Open "System Preferences" -> "Printers & Scanners"
  6. Select "+" to add a new printer
  7. Select the "IP" tab (presuming connected over a network connection)
  8. Enter the printer's IP Address in "Address:" field
  9. Select "Line Printer Daemon - LPD" in "Protocol:" field ("Internet Printing Protocol - IPP" DOES NOT WORK)
  10. Enter the desired printer queue name in "Name:" field
  11. Optionally enter the location information into the "Location:" field
  12. Choose "Select Software..." in "Use:" field dropdown
  13. Choose "Dell 3130cn Color Laser v3017.104 PS" in "Printer Software" window and click "Ok"
  14. Select "Add"
  15. Follow any additional prompts including selecting the installed options including Duplexer chick box

You should now be able to print to the Dell 3110cn.

Hope this helps!

1 Message

November 26th, 2020 09:00

I've tried this multiple times and get an error at the end of running the installer that the Installation Failed, contact the manufacturer for details. My guess is the problem is Big Sur vs Catalina.... Guess I'll have to wait, or maybe replace a perfectly good laser printer.

1 Message

February 20th, 2021 12:00

The installation problem on Big Sur is only a preinstallation version check. I was able to modify the installation package to work around it. 

• Download the 3130cn installer as above, filename Printer_3130cn_Installer_And_Application_Dell_A04_MAC.dmg
  • Open the .dmg file and use the pkgutil command line utility to extract the files somewhere convenient so you can modify them. I used ~/src/Dell_3130cn, so the commands looked like this:
    • mkdir -p ~/src/Dell_3130cn
    • pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Dell_3130cn_Installer/MacOSX10.7-/Dell\ 3130cn\ Print\ Installer.pkg ~/src/Dell_3130cn ~/src/Dell_3130cn/original
  • Edit the preinstallation script. It's inside the installationfiles.pkg package in the extracted location. I used Visual Studio Code so this was the command; you can also browse there in Finder and use TextEdit:
    • code ~/src/Dell_3130cn/expanded/installationfiles.pkg/Scripts/preinstall
  • The original file checks for a macOS version of at least 10.7, but it does this by breaking apart the version string, like “10.10.2,” and aborting if the middle section is less than 7. Big Sur moved from 10.x to 11.x, so my 11.2.1 fails that check. I modified the check to accept 11+ as well as 10.7+.
    • Original:
      Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 21.46.25.png
    • Modified:
      Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 21.57.37.png
    • Here's a hopefully copy/pastable version:

#!/bin/sh

#
# This is InstallationCheck script.
#

# Check OS version. If lower than 10.7, quit installer.
# Altered for Big Sur with MajorVersion > 10 check
VersInfo=`/usr/bin/sw_vers | grep "ProductVersion"`
SubVersion=${VersInfo#ProductVersion:*.}
SubVersion2=${SubVersion%%.*}

Version=${VersInfo#ProductVersion:[[:space:]]}
MajorVersion=${Version%%.*}

if [ $MajorVersion -gt 10 ];then
	exit 0
elif [ $SubVersion2 -lt 7 ];then
	exit 97
fi

exit 0
​

• Once you've modified and saved the preinstall script, package everything up as an installer again.
    • pkgutil --flatten ~/src/Dell_3130cn/expanded ~/src/Dell_3130cn/BigSurModifiedDell3110cn.pkg
  • Run the new installer and it should work; you can go to System Preferences and add the printer. (Use LPD as noted above.)
  • On Intel Macs, you should now be good to go. On my M1 system, that installed fine, but the printer didn't actually work quite yet. Opening ~/Library/Printers, choosing Get Info on the printer object and ticking “Open using Rosetta” made it work, and I can now print to it from both native and Intel apps. 

March 15th, 2021 06:00

during the installation choose select the software then take hp laserjet series PCL 4/5 it works and you have all the functions of the printer

1 Message

September 22nd, 2021 03:00

Many thanks !

Installing the hp laserjet series PCL 4/5 driver from the default list works immediately ...

1 Message

December 20th, 2021 04:00

I'm running Monterey and installing the hp laserjet series PCL 4/5 printed everything in B/W for me.  Fortunately, running the pkgutil instructions helped.  Here's my modified .pkg in case anyone's interested. 

1 Message

December 14th, 2022 14:00

Well, I'm not the best terminal user, but I followed your detailed instructions and eventually modified this file as you recommended. The driver now successfully installs on my M1 Macbook Pro running Ventura 13.0. Wondering if Dell could pick up your file and ensure their driver installation package is built with the appropriate version checked within the installer. This made my installation go from FAILED to COMPLETED! Now I can print on my newest Macbook Pro. THANK YOU, Mairene!  

Here is an attempt to share the file for others to use.

1 Message

June 23rd, 2023 13:00

This was super helpful, but both links from @codepadawan and @WestAndover  are dead. I modified the files myself and uploaded it (created a dell forum account just to do this and say thanks!). If somebody knows a better way to permalink a file please share. Big thanks to @mairene! You rock. Modified Dell 3130cn printer driver

No Events found!